Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Hey Caliboy...you mean you find me entertaining AND amusing? Wow. I must be doing something right! Ok...so I'm not going to toot my own horn anymore. I'll just let Caliboy do it for me! I know you are right about some agents. But there are all types of people in every profession. Believe it or not, the good agents want to help people. We get alot of satisfaction from our clients, helping them find their dream homes and getting them through the maze and all the way to closing. It means alot to me when my clients are happy and tell me so.

As for the legal side of it...I can only speak for NC.
When a Realtor in NC has "substantial contact" with a potential client, she must explain agency and who works for who. For example...if you meet an agent in an Open House, she works for the seller, unless you hire her to work for you. In that case, she can be a dual agent. Confusing, huh? Most of the time when I meet a buyer, I'm working as their "buyer's agent".

There is another form that all buyers must sign before an agent can write up an offer for them. Most agents like to get this form signed as soon as they meet you. I do not. My theory is that I may not like you or you may not like me (how unlikely!). I'll show my buyer a few homes and then I'll ask if they'd like to work with me. If they say "yes", I'll have them sign the form (like a marriage contract) that says we are working together. However, I ALWAYS tell my buyers that anytime we decide NOT to work together, that contract can become null and void by simply letting me know. I've never had anyone fire me...yet! I can't imagine an agent not allowing someone to find another agent if they are not happy with you.

However, this doesn't mean that I'll show you a house and then have you contact the seller in order to save yourself commission. This is unethical and totally dishonest and I've never had clients feel that I didn't deserve to be paid (by the seller) for the hard work I've done.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 15,280 times
Question new thread

can someone tell me how to start a new thread?

Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Ok...so I'm not going to toot my own horn anymore. I'll just let Caliboy do it for me!
I'm all about the marketing! heh-heh. But only for those who contribute well!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:02 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliraymon View Post
can someone tell me how to start a new thread?
Your post is off-topic....please post it in a new thread

You should see a "New Thread" button in the upper-left corner of the page.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:15 PM

40 posts, read 142,151 times
I have to take the state courses in NC still, but in Utah "technically" you are supposed to have a buyer's agency agreement before showing any properties to a buyer. However, most agents operate without having one signed and wait until a contract is about to be written. I like to test drive my clients and let them test drive me. Let's see how we work together and if all seems to be going well and we see a client/broker future, let's put it in writing. I have walked away from working with people before and have been walked away from a time or two. Sometimes personalities don't mesh and meshing is essential in this type of relationship.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:17 PM

40 posts, read 142,151 times
Well, if I'd just kept reading I could have seen Ms Vicki's response. Sorry.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBL View Post
Well, if I'd just kept reading I could have seen Ms Vicki's response. Sorry.

I love hearing everyone's opinion, so please don't let me keep you from doing that.

For the FIRST TIME in 8 years, I actually fired a client for lying to me, lying to the builder and just being all around selfish, demanding and mean!

So I agree, you are working closely with your Realtor. Its a team effort. Work with someone you like and trust and who knows what she is doing.

I'm so excited...Caliboy likes me!!!

Vicki

Old 01-24-2007, 10:22 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I love hearing everyone's opinion, so please don't let me keep you from doing that.

For the FIRST TIME in 8 years, I actually fired a client for lying to me, lying to the builder and just being all around selfish, demanding and mean!

So I agree, you are working closely with your Realtor. Its a team effort. Work with someone you like and trust and who knows what she is doing.

I'm so excited...Caliboy likes me!!!

Vicki
It really goes both ways, does it not? I probably should have mentioned that, but it's a Broker's duty, if not protection, to walk away from a client that may put their license in jeopardy. That also includes any request asked of the Broker to steer (the illegal funneling of home buyers to a particular area based on the desire to keep the makeup of that neighborhood the same or intentionally change it).

Of course, the client can ask, but the Broker must adhere to the Fair Housing Act and it is not in the best interest of the Broker to continue working with a client who makes such requests. Their reputation, and license, is on the line.

Bottom line, as much as it is a choice of the client to enlist or fire a Broker, a Broker is running a business based on successfully working with their clients, and if a 'meeting of the minds' cannot be met, then the Broker, for the sake of their business, must move on.

And no matter how much I like you (and I do, I really do), Vicki, we probably should all stay on track with the subject of this particular thread -- North Raleigh vs. South Raleigh. I know, I know, party pooper I am!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
South Raleigh has some real pockets of crime and poverty but may be on the way up.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:58 PM

53 posts, read 211,032 times
I personally prefer North Raleigh. It's much, much nicer and closer to everything (RTP, Durham and Chapel Hill also).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary