Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,146 times

Advertisements

As someone that has 2 children in the Wallburg/Ledford school district, I feel that I can offer an honest opinion.
I am a Real Estate Broker and have been for 14 years. I am originally from a rural community in Southwest Virginia, but have lived in cities such as Virginia Beach and Norfolk, Virginia. I also lived in Greensboro and Winston-Salem, NC. I can honestly say that the only other choice for school in the vicinity of my home would be private school.
I have a 10 yr old getting ready to start the 4th grade and I have a 16 yr old that will be in 11th grade. I have never had any issues with the schools, and although I have had my favorite teachers - I have generally not had issues with any of the teachers. Any concerns that I have ever had (very few in 12 years) have always been met with an eagerness to make the situation better. I have always felt welcomed and involved in the schools that my children attend. I have a child that is an eager learner, and extremely responsible, and one child that needs constant encouragement and an extremely structured schedule to keep up, although this child is not LD.
I am not saying that there are not 'good' schools in any of the surrounding counties or cities, but once I moved to the triad area of NC and decided to start my family, I moved to Davdison County so that my children would attend Davidson County schools.
The county school websites are great places to start for your information, comparing overall scores county to county, and then school to school within the specific county. I recommend the website to all my potential clients that are not from the area. I think a lot can be learned by looking at the testing scores (where the school ranks in its district and the state), instances of crime, teacher/student ratios, etc.
I do believe that for the most part anything that you find on the internet would support my opinion that Wallburg/Ledford schools are some of the best 'public' schools in the Triad.
My opinion is to the care, guidance, environment and safety of the kids. The curriculum is also very important, and I have no doubt that my oldest has rec'd the education that she will need to attend college-- although at this point she knows only that her interest is in the medical field.
Good luck to you in the future, wherever you may choose to relocate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 01:28 PM

431 posts, read 1,339,821 times
Default thank you

acelynne66

we are definately planning on visiting ws first... since you are familiar with the area/schools......can you give me any information on the meadowlands development? The hones seem to offer what we are looking for......I like the idea of the community pool/amenities and that they allow for you to put in a pvt pool which is high on our criteria......the golf part of it isnt an issue.....since my husband will be trying his hand in golf on a real course tomorrow here on long island for he first time......(put-put is more his style)lol....but we would join whatever the amenities/clubs were anyway just to meet the neighbors and kids....

I thank you in advance for your input and would appreciate any other info you could share..

Suzanne

Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 PM

431 posts, read 1,339,821 times
I've definately been doing my research on the schools....I have a notebook full of sections for elementary/ middle/high school and the clayton schools and winston salem/kernersville/clemmons breaking down what the state level is and the stats for each school so I can compare.....

I'm actually going to try to type is all up on one page prior to the trip down so I can have it all in front of me on one page..... so its easier to compare....

My ? is I know there isnt redistricting in forsyth....but what does it mean when they say you can choice which school?

Is there a base school you are assigned to and if its not where you want to have your kids attend you can put in for another in the district or do you have to apply for which one you want first in that order and hope for the best???? I'm a little confused on that......

I'm definatley adding to the confusion of this but I think its in our best interest to visit and research each area so that we can see what else is out there and do some comparisons between clayton and the winson-salem area......I just cant make a move/decision knowing its the only area we visited and researched.....I'd hate to get there and think we did the right thing and then venture out and said we should have....

I know the triangle and the triad both offer alot of the same amenities and also offer very different, we honestly at this point live our lives for our kids and that is what consumes our time so yes we want the shopping/restaurants and an occasional movie/outing......the schools, sports, neighborhoods, communities is what is the most important to us and as long as we have the necessities and the options for the rest within a 10/15 minute ride we are absolutely fine with that.......

Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,224,600 times
One huge difference between the Triad and the Triangle lies in the fundamentals of the economies. Take a look at this link: Moody's Economy.com Login Scroll to NC and look at how distinctly different the two areas are. While Winston Salem is indicated as being in expansion, the larger Greensboro Metro area adjacent to it is listed as being in recession. Both Raleigh and Durham are listed as being in expansion.

Not to put down our neighbors to the west but the Triad is all about the old economy of NC and the Triangle is all about the new economy. That doesn't mean that the Triad is sitting still and doing nothing about it. But, it does have a ways to go before it will be as prominent of an area for the state as it once was.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,603,713 times
I think the Raleigh area was planning it next step in future about the same time manufacturing took a decline in rest of the state leading a lot to development of RTP and other areas of fields.

The triad was a blue collar area and kinda still is but it took a big hit with a doward spin in the tobacco industry, textile and furniture. It has promise and it doing better than areas like Fayetteville The Fed Ex Hub and Honda Jets, Dell Computers and other major companies is making the triad desirable for jobs.
The cost of a home is alot less in the triad than the triangle , has a strong community spirit, The people are incredibly friendly. Way ahead of the RDU with planning smart growth in roads. For instance I 40 , Business 40, I 85, Business 85, Future I 73, Future I 74, and Future I 285 are just some of examples and even the Business Interstates are 3 or 4 lanes wide. Both Amtrak Depots have been renovated to today's needs.
The areas may appear to have old economies but they are moving to future for their growth spurt once people start getting priced out of the other metros in the state.
Another great benefit of the triad is it central location making traveling to coast , mountains, Charlotte or Raleigh a short drive. If you want to meet some true good North Carolinian the triad is the way to go.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 PM

4,634 posts, read 6,478,270 times
"The people are incredibly friendly. Way ahead of the RDU with planning smart growth in roads. For instance I 40 , Business 40, I 85, Business 85, Future I 73, Future I 74, and Future I 285 are just some of examples and even the Business Interstates are 3 or 4 lanes wide. "

Perhaps, but it could be argued that a hyperemphasis on roads is not smart growth at all, just a perpetuation of the unwise, short-sighted policies and infrastructure that produces disgusting sprawl. Smarth growth planning would be planning that creates vibrant, dense core-focused cities and does not drain development to low-density fringe areas and exurbs. Smarth growth is growth that relies upon public transportation such as subways, light rail, and buses, instead of car-dependency. Despite its enemic growth rate, the Triad is known as one of the most sprawly regions in the country.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,603,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
"The people are incredibly friendly. Way ahead of the RDU with planning smart growth in roads. For instance I 40 , Business 40, I 85, Business 85, Future I 73, Future I 74, and Future I 285 are just some of examples and even the Business Interstates are 3 or 4 lanes wide. "

Perhaps, but it could be argued that a hyperemphasis on roads is not smart growth at all, just a perpetuation of the unwise, short-sighted policies and infrastructure that produces disgusting sprawl. Smarth growth planning would be planning that creates vibrant, dense core-focused cities and does not drain development to low-density fringe areas and exurbs. Smarth growth is growth that relies upon public transportation such as subways, light rail, and buses, instead of car-dependency. Despite its enemic growth rate, the Triad is known as one of the most sprawly regions in the country.
The OP was wanting comparison between the triangle and the triad and I described for what it is and what you focus on did show any difference or offerings of the things you mention that the triangle has over the triad Bus system is what both areas provide.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,978,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The OP was wanting comparison between the triangle and the triad and I described for what it is and what you focus on did show any difference or offerings of the things you mention that the triangle has over the triad Bus system is what both areas provide.

Anyhoo ... for me it would come down to how long it takes to drive to the beach...Triangle is already too far, Triad worse...

Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM

57 posts, read 248,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Despite its enemic growth rate, the Triad is known as one of the most sprawly regions in the country.
As a product of the Triad region, I find this incredibly hard to believe. If you drive just a few minutes out of Greensboro, it is like you are in a different world. Do you really think that the Triad has more sprawl than the Triangle, DC, NY, LA, Dallas, Baltimore, Philly, etc.?

While I agree with your thoughts on smarth growth and there should be an emphasis on alternate ways of getting people places, roads will always be needed to transport goods and massive amounts of people traveling through an area. And the Triad is a huge transportation hub (with many roads and railroads coming together, hence Greensboro's "Gate City" nickname). However, as a city that doesn't have a major highway cutting through downtown, Greensboro is better positioned to create a walking/bicycle friendly downtown with better public transportation. If only there were more jobs in the downtown core...

Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,786,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Anyhoo ... for me it would come down to how long it takes to drive to the beach...Triangle is already too far, Triad worse...
The flip side of this is the distance to the mountains is much closer from the Triad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary