Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times

Advertisements

KellySR...we're from Hudson County and know just how you feel. We've been working in the city for years just chasing our tails and dealing with the cold and the Jersey corruption, which is worse in Hudson County. We got tired of the rat race two years ago and started our search. Last December we bought a great house in SW Durham. We haven't been able to leave yet since our house isn't selling even though we're almost giving it away. Anyway, we spend half our time in the new house and we love it. We're enjoying everything the Triangle has to offer and everyone is so friendly. DH & kids love it and wish we had done it sooner. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 AM

45 posts, read 103,160 times
Thanks so much everyone.
Actually we are looking to purchase in Wake Forest if we can keep the commute under 45 mins to the Durham plant. Is that possible? We have heard amazing things about the Heritage Development. If not, then it would probably be North Raleigh but from what I have seen you cant get any property there in our price range which tops out at $400K. We have a third of an acre now and would like the same or bigger.

I appreciate the struggle it took some of you to get to where you are. For us it is an emotional struggle to leave all of our friends here. My parents will be moving to Clayton next summer so that's something at least and we are trying deperately to get some of our best friends to move with us...they are in the same situation as we are and are looking for a better life as well. Im sure the first year or so will be a hard adjustment but I am determined to keep a positive attitude and see what life may bring to our doorstep!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:46 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
Even though we're there half the time, our friends and relatives have already vacationed with us. Everyone is contemplating a move as well. We hope to be the trail blazers.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:03 AM

That's exactly what Im hoping too! Our friends love th eouter banks so...maybe!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:20 AM

Also, quick question...it seems that Durham really gets a negative score from people on these boards. Ive been so turned off by what other people have said that I didnt even look there. However, with the commute seeming so long from other areas, I may have to consider it...thoughts???

Old 08-03-2008, 11:26 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellySR View Post
Also, quick question...it seems that Durham really gets a negative score from people on these boards. Ive been so turned off by what other people have said that I didnt even look there. However, with the commute seeming so long from other areas, I may have to consider it...thoughts???
There are oodles of people on this board who live in Durham and really love it. We even have a few people here who've lived in other towns in the Triangle and then chose to move to Durham (I'm one of them). Maybe you just need to read around more and talk to more Durhamites?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM

I think so! I just looked on another thread for some thoughts...would love to hear yours...feel free to PM me.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:50 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Kelly, both my dh & I were brought up in No. Jersey, relocated to Ocean County, raised our children when So. Jersey was slowed paced. 911 made us take a hard look at our lives and realized we were "living to work". It was time to leave. We took out the map, closed our eyes and landed in NC, got a NC map, closed our eyes and landed in Greenville NC. Hubby got a p/t job in HI store. We gave the kids the furniture, started a 2 yr. relocation plan. Found a beautiful, new construction home within 6 months. We sold the house, quit the high profile, high stressed jobs. Within 6 mos. hubby transferred to the HI store here in NC with the same rate of pay FT. I was able to stay at home and write my 1st. cookbook. We packed the u-haul and the dog and came to NC not knowing anyone. Hence 5 years later, we would not change a thing. 1700 sq. ft. home on 1 acre city & county taxes $1200 a year.
When we do go up to visit the family (we will be there next month at this time) it is quality time and all is good. It is scary, but any life change is. For us, it was definitely worth it. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 AM

WOW GREAT STORY thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the happy endings even if there were bumps along the way!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 AM

15 posts, read 30,247 times
Default Similar Dilemma

Hi:

Our family of 3 (one 6 yr old boy) is also considering a move, not from Northern NJ (although we are both org from from upstate NY, have family close to NYC and in NJ) but from Naperville, IL (just rated #3 on Money Mag top 100 places to live).

We moved to IL from MA 3 yrs ago for career reasons, now contemplating move to NC..again job related. Consider NC somewhere we would be happy living into retirement years ( no more harsh winters, near the ocean again ), cost of living, taxes (we are approx $11,000 yr), and real estate seems better than what we are experiencing now. We would not be leaving family behind, but still disruptive to our 6 year old's secure world of living in a neighborhood with plenty of kids, friends, activites, sports, community, good schools, etc. Tough decision. Looking for reassurance we will find that where we are looking, Cary NC area. Last move we ever want to make. Tough time to try to sell a house anywhere, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary