Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:02 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,585 times

Advertisements

In my ongoing search for a house in the raleigh area I have noticed something.Almost no homes have private swimming pools.I actually did a house search for all of wake county,between 350k and 450k and it only returned two houses with a private pool.Since I found this to be strange I asked a realtor I was working with as to why.,Since I was sure he was going to say,it's hard to get the dig permit,water is so expensive it will cost you hundreds to fill it.He basically said that most folks use a community pool,and many folks worried about the safety.That was it ,my great North Carolina pool conspiracy was crushed!He also said it would cost about 12k to 15k for an inground pool,and at 18k,you can get a amazing pool with all the bells and whistles.Thoughts? Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 AM

225 posts, read 954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
In my ongoing search for a house in the raleigh area I have noticed something.Almost no homes have private swimming pools.I actually did a house search for all of wake county,between 350k and 450k and it only returned two houses with a private pool.Since I found this to be strange I asked a realtor I was working with as to why.,Since I was sure he was going to say,it's hard to get the dig permit,water is so expensive it will cost you hundreds to fill it.He basically said that most folks use a community pool,and many folks worried about the safety.That was it ,my great North Carolina pool conspiracy was crushed!He also said it would cost about 12k to 15k for an inground pool,and at 18k,you can get a amazing pool with all the bells and whistles.Thoughts? Comments?

I've noticed the same thing. We would love to have our own private pool & now that we are in a warmer climite--I thought, finally, we can justify the work it takes to keep a pool open. But, basically I've been told that pools open & close about the same time our pools open & close up north. And I also have found very few homes with private pools in home searches. And the properties can be so small, there isn't room to put one in. It will be a while longer before we buy, but, maybe we'll luck out and find one.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:12 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
When my husband was in an apartment complex they opened the pool at Easter time- April, in NY teh traditional opening was Memorial Day to Labor Day, with some people extending through teh end of September. I noticed that the Heritage pool was open until the end of September.
I do think that you r blood thins, or you acclimate, or whatever, because it has not gotten cold (REALLY COLD) at all here and when it is in the 40's & 50's I am thinking it is cold, and I haven't even been here for a year!
We would be in our pool in NY when it was in the low 70's, heck, that was the temperature here not so long ago, in January!

Old 01-28-2007, 05:59 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
I think, traditionally, around here, people used the pools in their communities, as well as public pools. Now people use the YMCA pools (most are indoor/outdoor) and the raleigh parks sytems has nice public pools that people can use.

So many communities have pools today that not as many people need them. My neighborhood is new, small (38 homes) and doesn't have a community pool, but three people in the neighborhood have their own pools..........so, people do like them!

On the flip side they do not add value to your home, in fact they can be a selling detractor for many people, they don't want the upkeep, the "danger", etc. So, people, around here, who are installing their pools are doing it for themselves, not to add value!

Just an aside, I know someone who owns a pool company in raleigh and last summer he was working on installing a pool (at a home inside the beltline) that was going to cost 2.5 million - seriously! I wanted to just go live in their pool!

Leigh

Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default companies

I am currently considering a pool can someone recommend some companies? I am looking for an inground, 18 *30 (approx), vinly liner, very basic concrete decking. I am curious to prices since I hear 15-17K but talking to a few companies it was more like 19-20K?

Old 01-28-2007, 08:13 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,017 times
I have clients from Florida who were here last week who also want a private pool for their home when they move here - for them, it's a deal breaker if they can't put one in, so I've spent a lot of time researching this issue.

Permits: if the house is on a septic system, you're going to have to apply for a variance to ensure that the system can handle it. Sometimes it can, sometimes it can't. We also ran into drainage easement issues on a house we thought was perfect - nice, half acre flat lot... but actually, because of the easements, we almost couldn't do it. Fortunately, there was enough room on one side of the backyard that we were able to get the city to OK it based on the pool contractor's write up and the survey.
(Incidentally, we were out there measuring for a pool on the day it SNOWED! My poor Floridians! )

Of course, you'll be required to put up at least a 4 foot high fence with self-latching gates (check wakegov.com for the regulations) to deal with the safety/liability issues.

Just keep in mind that you'll be installing the pool for yourself, to use and enjoy - you likely will not recoup that investment when you sell the house, since as you've discovered, they're just not that big a deal here.

Rising Sun is the biggest company in the area, although I've spoken to one person who had several problems when they put in her pool. I've also gotten a glowing referral for Clearwater Pools in Wake Forest, although I haven't had the opportunity to work with them myself. Both have websites, just google them.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM

13 posts, read 60,399 times
Default Swimming pools eastern north carolina

We build many pools in North Carolina. Swimming pools are becoming quite the norm for a lot of people in this area.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:13 PM
CYB

108 posts, read 270,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I am currently considering a pool can someone recommend some companies? I am looking for an inground, 18 *30 (approx), vinly liner, very basic concrete decking. I am curious to prices since I hear 15-17K but talking to a few companies it was more like 19-20K?
The previous owners of our home put in a 16x32 pool with vinyl liner, douclear(saltwater system) and a heat pump. They got it from Rising Sun pools and paid app $22000. Another $6000 to Executive concrete for the concrete decking. I like the pool but the decking looks like a huge freaking concrete parking lot.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,539 times
Blue Haven Pools put mine in here in the Charlotte area. It has a marsite liner (blown-in concrete) but you could check them out in your area. Naturally, each location has its own franchise, so you would be dealing with whoever does business up there. This one is 18x34' and the cost was in the 30k area.
I think people don't put in pools because of various problems including the fact that if you sell your house you don't get the money out of it; also people do worry about the safety issue as was said. If you would get enough use out of it, it might be worth it for you.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
My ex husband had an inground pool/spa/waterfall installed by Backyard Oasis Pools when they moved here. The cost was about $40k. They seem to do a lot in the Wakefield area.

Backyard Oasis Pools - Raleigh Durham NC

My husband and I considered a pool when we moved here (coming from California it was common especially in SoCal). However the listings were few so we just decided to build a house in a community with pools. With only one child left at home (in highschool)...I'm glad we decided against having a personal pool now. I wouldn't want the upkeep and it's nice for the teenagers to go hangout at the community pool. Better than having 6-10 wet teenagers traipsing through my house! However if my children were still young I think I would have had a pool installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary