Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 AM

237 posts, read 757,096 times

Advertisements

Just moved in to our 3300 sq ft home two months ago. We keep the temp 76, turn off fans in bedrooms during the day, turn off lights and tv. I do use the computer for business though. Our bills have been $300 each month for family of 4. Ouch!
I just took the progress energy survey. It didn't show me anything yet as we haven't been here long enough to do a fully test on us. This is far higher than I paid in upstate NY. I knew the cost would be higher because of running central air here more than I did in NY for our 2800 sq ft home, but I think this is really high. I hope the winter cost is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:08 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjjbtb View Post
Just moved in to our 3300 sq ft home two months ago. We keep the temp 76, turn off fans in bedrooms during the day, turn off lights and tv. I do use the computer for business though. Our bills have been $300 each month for family of 4. Ouch!
I just took the progress energy survey. It didn't show me anything yet as we haven't been here long enough to do a fully test on us. This is far higher than I paid in upstate NY. I knew the cost would be higher because of running central air here more than I did in NY for our 2800 sq ft home, but I think this is really high. I hope the winter cost is better.
Unless you're house is extremely well insulated with ultra-sealed windows, 76 is going to cause your AC to run almost nonstop down here. In our apartment, 80-81 seems to be the cutoff to keep it from running nonstop. I imagine in a house it would be about 78-80. Check your water heater temp as well, and shut that off when leave town.

The winter will most definitely be better!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I have pushed it to 78 on occasion. Just seems like the air inside gets stale so easily. We are going to have to get used to it at least during the day though.
I only run the washer/dryer when I have complete loads to do. Same with the dishwasher. I think I will learn as I go along. Just paying the tuition at the moment.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjjbtb View Post
My AC seems to come on from time to time when it is 76 outside and I have my temp set at 78. I think the heat gets trapped within the home, attic etc. for a few hours after sunset.

When it is 90-95 outside during the day and I have my AC set at 77, it basically runs non-stop. However, even with this, my electirc bill was only $168. $300 seems really high, even for your large home.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 AM

46 posts, read 308,019 times
Default What's the electric co in Clayton?

bueller, bueller.............

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM

103 posts, read 495,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarc Ecstasy View Post
Something is wrong with these numbers. You may want to talk with your electric company. These are very high and are higher in non AC weather.
Another Wake Electric person here. I've ALWAYS had high bills! 3/2 1374sq ft all CMF bulbs, only run dishwaher (no drying) every 2-3 days, 2 loads laundry every other day, AC 72-74.
I just paid $295 and my next bill is $308?! We bought our house new 10 yrs ago and the elec bill has ALWAYS been like this. What gives? I always tell my husband it seems like our neighbors house is hooked to ours or something? ARG!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icupicn View Post
Another Wake Electric person here. I've ALWAYS had high bills! 3/2 1374sq ft all CMF bulbs, only run dishwaher (no drying) every 2-3 days, 2 loads laundry every other day, AC 72-74.
I just paid $295 and my next bill is $308?! We bought our house new 10 yrs ago and the elec bill has ALWAYS been like this. What gives? I always tell my husband it seems like our neighbors house is hooked to ours or something? ARG!
I would guess your problem is your AC being set at 72. That is really low compared to what others here are setting theirs at. Most seem to keep theirs at 77-78, some even at 80. I'll bet you can cut that bill by 40% or more if you can adjust to being a little warmer.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I would guess your problem is your AC being set at 72. That is really low compared to what others here are setting theirs at. Most seem to keep theirs at 77-78, some even at 80. I'll bet you can cut that bill by 40% or more if you can adjust to being a little warmer.
We're in trouble when we get to NC. In Michigan we have our AC at 73! I wonder if 73 would feel different in NC than it does in MI? Maybe 78 will feel cool in NC after a year or two of living there?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM

73 definitely feels different after about a month or so. It's amazing how fast your body temp adjusts to the new climate. On muggy days, we still have it at about 75-76, but I am going to try to 80 soon.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
We're in trouble when we get to NC. In Michigan we have our AC at 73! I wonder if 73 would feel different in NC than it does in MI? Maybe 78 will feel cool in NC after a year or two of living there?
I came down from Seattle. The first few days we were here, I set mine at 72 and still felt hot. After 2-3 days, I could stand 74, as long as I was just relaxing, physical labor inside the home at 74 felt too hot. Now I can leave it at 77, 78 and I feel quite comfortable. It's been about 6 weeks for us. I never would have imagined being able to set it this high when we first arrived. You will be amazed how fast your body adjusts.

Now outside when it is 98 and humid? I still have a long way to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary