Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 28,331 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family and I are considering relocation to Raleigh from Long Island, NY. This is exciting and terrifying at the same time. My husband and I are true New Yorkers and REALLY love it here. The problem is, it's too darn expensive to live in our area.

I've done a bit of research and Raleigh area seems like a place where my family and I could be happy. However, my biggest concern is the schools. we have 3 grade school age children and want to make sure they receive an education that is in par with what we currently have.

I believe from what I have read/heard is that Wake county has great schools. I would ideally like to be in a diverse neighborhood where I can buy a 5 bedroom home for 400-500k. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Did you have a specific question?

There are many, many LongIIIlandahs here, especially in the Southwestern Wake county areas. You can use the "Search" function on the forum for specific questions, but you haven't really asked anything, said what your plan is for tranferring jobs or what industry you work in, etc?

What specifically about Raleigh has put this area on your radar over other places?

Wake county is a very large school system, 17th biggest in the US, I think (I'm sure you're aware it's generally county-wide here, unlke where you are) and doing general searches on "Wake County School system" and the ongoing assignment problems would be a good background for you on that front. Many transplants from your vicinity are finding Johnston county, just over the line, to be a more stable environment--though it will depend on where you'll be working if you don't want a big commute.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 AM

My question would be,where should I look? Based mainly on the schools.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,254 times
In Wake County it doesn't matter where you buy your house because it's all done on a choice lotto system now. I suggest you read the WCPSS page for newcomers and also the many threads about the schools on this site. WCPSS: Getting Started

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 AM

My husband runs his own biz, all he needs is a computer and a phone. So we can look pretty much anywhere. I would ideally be a stay at home mom until the kids have settled down. Raleigh was listed as one of the top 10 places to raise a family, seems economical enough and I REFUSE to go to Florida. I do understand that many Long Islanders have moved to NC, and that to me is appealing.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Choice lotto system? Oh my this is all making my head spin! Thanks for the info I will look in to this ASAP.

E

Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellepro View Post
My husband runs his own biz, all he needs is a computer and a phone. So we can look pretty much anywhere. I would ideally be a stay at home mom until the kids have settled down. Raleigh was listed as one of the top 10 places to raise a family, seems economical enough and I REFUSE to go to Florida. I do understand that many Long Islanders have moved to NC, and that to me is appealing.
Have you visited the area yet to see if it is in fact for you? If you're "true New Yorkers" as you say, you may find the pace too slow for your tastes and be impatient all the time. It is a very, very suburban area with a small downtown that New Yorkers generally find laughable. The culture scene is interesting and hopping for those of us who are here, but folks from NYC tend to patronizingly sneer at how "provincial" the area is, by their standards. Certainly a decision to move somewhere should be based on more than just a "best places" list.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,180 times
If you love NYC so much, why are you considering moving so far away? Wouldn't somewhere in Pennsylvania or Maryland offer you an opportunity to lower your overall cost of living while still giving you the opportunity to return to the city more often then living over 600 miles would afford? Raleigh offers a pretty stark contrast to NYC...

Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 AM

103 posts, read 214,308 times
I don't know much about the school systems at all since I have no kids. But I moved from LI 6 months ago. I love it here!! It is a big change and adjustment obv. And nothing you read on here or ask really does justice compared to coming down to visit and checking things out. I suggest making a few visits, checking out different areas, and maybe talk to some people here. That will be the biggest help. Nothing you look up online or read in the forums will help like that will. Also it doesn't work for everyone so make sure you find out everything. Thankfully we've haven't problems and are doing better here then we could have ever been in NY. On the other had I've known alot of people who moved down and within a year were back in NY.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:21 AM

838 posts, read 2,524,134 times
I used to work for a company on Long Island and visited there frequently. Once you get out maybe 15-20 miles from the city, there are areas that kind of feel the same as around here in Raleigh. I would say LI is much more densely populated compared to here though.

So, I guess depending on where you live on LI, might have a lot of influence on whether or not you'll like it here. As others have suggested, try searching posts here for more information and come down for a long weekend visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary