Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 AM

285 posts, read 836,873 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Havent been on here for a while - as some of you regulars may remember, I'm a transplant that came over from the UK at the beginning of the year..

I have been looking at Skype as a good way to keep in touch with friends & family back home, and have just setup an account on my PC

I know that you can buy these Skype/Wifi phones that are not reliant on having your PC turned on - they just hook straight up to your broadband router.

I can buy them online, but I'd rather get one from a store - does anyone know a place that may sell them? Wal-Mart have some sort of agreement with them, but they dont seem to have much (checked the one in Brier Creek over the weekend - only have a headset and a phone that plugs into your PC)

Checking the websites for the usual suspects - Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack, Circuit City etc - none of them seem to stock this

I was wondering if one you experts knew of a more local store that may sell this kind of thing - I'd rather "see" and have somewhere to take it back to if it doesnt work properly!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,430,831 times
We use Skype to talk to our daughter/grandchildren in China. We bought ours at a Radio Shack before we moved. Very simple to set up!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Thanks - does your one plug into your PC? I'm looking for one that doesnt need this - and RadioShack's website doesnt seem to have anything to offer here?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:44 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,864,793 times
Wait a second... so you use skype like you would a regular phone? We use a camera phone thingy and have been very successful keeping in touch with family in both Germany and the Middle East. It's a great way for grandparents to see the kids. So what kind of setup do you have? And try to say it in non-technical terms please. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm trying to source the actual phone locally, but I know HOW this works:

So, once you have got a Skype Account setup, you can get a phone that will plug into your internet connection. You program this phone with your Skype details (username & password), and that should be it. The phone will work the same as Skype, so as long as you have an internet connection it will work. There are a few different types of devices:

1) a "mixed mode" type phone - will plug into your internet for SKype, but will also plug into your normal phone for standard phone calls -ideal if you want both.
2) a "skype" phone, which you can plug into your PC - mainly for people who prefer the "feel" of a phone, but still needs your PC to be turned on and connected to Skype
3) a "wifi" type phone, where you configure the phone to connect to your home Wireless internet (if you have wirless), and it uses your normal skype details. This is like using a phone, but without having your PC turned on. You can also take this with you and connect it to any other Wireless internet type place (such as a Starbucks), and make calls there!

I want option 3, but want to find it from a local store if possible

One thing to be aware of - I do not think that these phones have cameras, so whilst this is great for phone calls - you probably cant do video calls on them

Old 08-11-2008, 10:56 AM

551 posts, read 2,288,639 times
I use Skype this way, and we never found the phone locally, we ordered online.

Have you tried either of the tiger direct stores? They show one on their website, you could call to see if they have it.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/retailstores/index.asp
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...RqCjCVRqCjCVRq

Old 08-11-2008, 10:58 AM

hi Chicky - do you use it with Time Warner for your internet? I'm not sure what the quality will be like when calling friends back in the UK?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,864,793 times
cool... but we really have enjoyed the video calling, so we will stick with our current setup. It's great to have so many options these days of connecting to family and friends.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 AM

551 posts, read 2,288,639 times
Yes, we have the regular-speed RoadRunner internet service from TWC and we use it to call the UK and Japan on a regular basis. There is a bit of a delay - it actually reminds me a lot of calls from the UK/US 20 years ago (when it had to go under the sea!). But the delay might be due to the internet connection on the other end, which is not high-speed. In any case, it's free, and that allows me to keep in touch with my family much better as no one is concerned about cost - and I can SEE them!

We mostly use laptop with webcam, but have the phone, too. We are looking forward to getting a wi-fi enabled cell phone and seeing if we can skype on there, too.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 PM

Well, I've been to TigerDirect (in Durham) and spoken to the one in Raleigh, and neither of them stock it - online ordering only...

I cant believe its this hard to get a phone from a store! I'm sure it wouldnt have been this hard back in London - guess the climate will have to make up for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary