Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_tom View Post
If your were speeding in a school zone then an Attorney would be useless...just plead guilty....pay the fine and take a traffic school course to have the ticket/point taken off your record.
Traffic school is not an option here for speeding violation in the school zone (unless granted by the court, and would require a court appearance, and agreement from the DA and the judge). You could go with an attorney, or represent yourself, but you will have to appear in court unless you're pleading guilty. And with a speeding in a school zone, that is 3 points, which would increase your insurance by 65%.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 PM

286 posts, read 994,426 times
I went with an attorney. He's working on it for me. We'll see how that goes....

Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM

76 posts, read 220,065 times
I'd like to hear how that goes.

My wife just got a her first ticket ever for speeding in a school zone - 40 in a 25. She's not the kind of person to speed either. She usually drives to slow and it drives me crazy. When she called crying telling me she got a ticket for this, I couldn't be mad because I knew she didn't intentionally do this.
Reading this I'm thinking it's worth getting the lawyer. I can't afford for the insurance to go up

Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM

56 posts, read 414,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
You can actually go online and look this information up. It's not that difficult at all.

Got a link?

I'll give you a bit of advice ( and some of my own stories) about the speeding ticket while I'm here posting. Honesty is your best policy (a little luck helps to).

Let's see: I've gotten a ticket for 100mph for in a 70mph zone + careless and reckless. Was very polite to the State trooper, I explained to him I was just wanting to see how fast the car would do (It would top at 105, but I got clocked at 100. All GM sedan's and SUV's/Trucks have a speed limiter set for 105) and wasn't running drugs/weapons and not driving that fast in an emergency. He smiled and said I'll be back Went to Wake County court and explained the same thing to the judge ( This was my second to last ticket, I really expected for my DL to be revoked) he understood that I was being 100% honest to him and saw that I realaized my mistake. Paid the cost of court and all charges were droped.

Pulled in Cary for running ficticious tags/ no ins/ did'nt even have title of the car in my name, was riding around with notorized title. Same situation very polite to cop, even though he reminded me several times I very easily could be going downtown, but sense I was very co-oprative and did'nt tell him anything that was not true he was just going to take my tags and make me park the car. He said because the title had been notorized it was legaly mine (Which it was, I just just to lazy to go to DMV and pay the title transfer fee). I do have to add this was the NICEST Cary cop I've ever met. I was even laughing and joking with him while I was waiting for someone to come and pick me up. I wish I could remember his name, but can't. Anyawy, got to Wake Co. courthouse, showed proof that I had gotten title transfered and had insurance. I said I was sorry a few times and it was thrown out.

A week or so before I was due in court for the 100mph ticket. I got clocked for running 95mph in a 35mph zone in Cary (Chatam St), running late for work. Undercover Wake Co. deputy pulled me, explained in a very gruff voice that I was just clocked running 95 in a 35 and he wanted to know why. I explained to him I was running late and pointed across the street. (I pulled over at the gas station that across from Bitting Electric, where I worked. Some smart guys had already started pointing and laughing over in my direction) I gave him my DL and reg and I knew if I got a ticket while I had the 100mph + C&R pending I was toast. I don't know if he saw I had that other ticket pending or was just in a holiday mood, but he came back and said "Merry Christmas (It was 3 days away) from the Wake County Sherriffs office Mr. Craig you are free to go, I think you know how stupid that was" I said yes sir and thanked him. I was outa the ticket but had to endure everyone laughing at me for getting pulled right across the street from the shop.

Had a PJC for a speeding ticket. Got pulled for running 75 in a 45 on Avation Parkway by a Morrisville cop. He really wanted to nail me for the speeding ticket but then I explained the PJC on the speeding ticket. I asked him if he did'nt notice that I was right on the bumper of the SUV that was in front of me right as he put his lights on. He said he did notice that too. I asked him if he would just change the ticket to following to closely and not the speeding charge. He agreed but explained to me that the FTC would bring my points up but I told him I would rather have that than getting nailed with two speeding tickets. I tried to get out of the FTC, but could'nt on that one. That was the only ticket I was not able to get out of or dismissed.

What I'm getting at with all this is usually if your honest and very polite to the cop you have a great chance of getting out of it yourself. People always tell you get a lawyer, he will get you out of it. Save you the $300 exp if its your first time and just wanting a PJC. You can easily request those yourself.

Let the officer speak first and expalin why your getting pulled. Then politly explain your side of the story " I did'nt notice I was driving that fast" or "Yes I did noticer my speed was drifting up there a bit, I'm sorry", etc,etc. The worse things you can do is start screaming "I did'nt do nuffin!, why you pullin' me man?" or the worse, get out of your car; that would put any cop in a bad mood.

JIC Your wondering, my speeding days are long over with. This stuff all happened 5-6 years ago. I'm really enjoying paying $40 a month instead of $200 a month for insurance (I did have one 90mph in a 55mph ticket in VA on I-95 that I got poped with. I figured outa state, would'nt show up on my NC record and I did'nt even show up to court to try to fight it. Well, it did and because it was 20mph over the limit it was an automatic C&R charge. If I ever get pulled outa state again, I'm gonna fight it.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:10 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Briancraig,

I don't doubt your story a bit.
You must be smoother than I am.
I'm as polite as can be, "Yes, Sir," etc.

And the upshot is... I get the most cordial dialogue as the equally polite officer is writing my ticket.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I was once blind, stinking drunk in Los Angeles (1970) and had no bus fare but needed to get home.

Staggered my best but crossed against a red light about 2 AM. Motorcycle cop was ticketing a car and cited me for jaywalking (LOL).

Told judge I had no way to get home so did the best I could. He thanked me for being honest and made the fine $5.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 AM

286 posts, read 994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett4ever View Post
I'd like to hear how that goes.

My wife just got a her first ticket ever for speeding in a school zone - 40 in a 25. She's not the kind of person to speed either. She usually drives to slow and it drives me crazy. When she called crying telling me she got a ticket for this, I couldn't be mad because I knew she didn't intentionally do this.
Reading this I'm thinking it's worth getting the lawyer. I can't afford for the insurance to go up

Was it on Morrisville parkway? That cop camps out in front of the school every day.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:29 AM

455 posts, read 919,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckerFagen View Post
Got a link?

I'll give you a bit of advice ( and some of my own stories) about the speeding ticket while I'm here posting. Honesty is your best policy (a little luck helps to).
When I got mine in Southwestern NC, I was driving to see my mother for the last time (she had stage 4 cancer and died less than a month later). I told him honestly where I was going and why I was anxious to get there (I had my soon to be wife next to me and my 3 siblings in the back seat). He gave me a ticket two minutes later. So much for honesty!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM

189 posts, read 797,290 times
First Ticket - Crappy Day & admitted that I was speeding. I could have turned off while the Trooper was on the other side of the highway, but figured I would be honest...told him that I had irritable bowel was having a bad day, just had a mammogram, etc. He gave me the ticket anyway...*&^*%.

Whatever, I guess I deserved it, but had a clean record and thought I would get a warning. Now I am worried that my insurance rates will go up. I'm scheduled to go to court the end of next month to fight it. Any recommendations? Also how much would it be, it doesn't say on the citation. I was on Capital Blvd speed zone 55, I was doing 72, he said he clocked me at 77, which I find hard to believe since he was driving down the highway in the opposite direction.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary