Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm interested in reading some more recent opinions about the Grove Park neighborhood in Durham. I drove through the Lakeside part today and it seemed pretty nice. I'm particularly interested in opinions on the following:

1) Is it safe to take walks in the neighborhood during the evening?
2) I noticed a public library is on the same road as some of the homes that are for sale. I'm a bit skeptical about living that close to a library. Thoughts? I ask only because I've been to a few libraries in other parts of the state and homeless people tended to hang out in and around the library a lot.
3) How is the commute to and from RTP (near Davis/54)? Leaving home around 8-8:15 and leaving work around 5-5:30.
4) If you could purchase a home in the neighborhood again, would you?
5) Any other opinions, good and bad?
I don't think you have much to worry about here. This may be true of library locations near a city's center or downtown, but in general, suburban branch libraries don't have this issue at all. Growing up in Columbia, SC I never saw this in the branch library we went to (the main branch downtown was another story) and living in Raleigh now I've never noticed it at the branch library nearest to us off of Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM

554 posts, read 623,288 times
I have lived in Grove Park for 6 years and I have never had a problem. My neighbors are nice and I feel safe. I walk in the neighborhood sometimes and there are always other people walking or jogging. I frequent the library as well and it is a nice library. I have never seen people hanging around unless they were going into the library. As the earlier poster said I think you see that more in the city areas.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,780 times
Default 2013 review

Lived in Grove Park for 7 years and just moved in 2013. We loved our house but the neighborhood has declined a great deal. Many foreclosures and rental properties have created tenants that don't take care of the properties. HOA management changed at least 3 times while I lived there and was inconsistent.
As far as walking in the evening, I always felt somewhat safe but I have a dog. I was approached by bums on more than one occasion asking for money while walking on Linkside. In our 7 years we had our gas grill stolen, gas cans stolen, a car spray painted and egged, and a golf ball through the window. There seemed to be a lot of car break ins and vandalism too. There is a yahoo forum the residents created and you can see the recent post regarding crime activity. Solicitation is a problem as well.
The commute time is ok and usually took about 30 mins to get to RTP. Sherron Rd and Miami can be very congested.
I would not buy a home in GP if I had to do it over. The things I liked about the neighborhood were the pool, fitness center and the close proximity to Brier Creek. I would suggest really driving through the whole neighborhood and taking a very close look at the properties and the conditions. On a quick glance you will see some beautiful homes on the main parkway but view all sections especially toward the back end of Linkside. 2 more things to note: flooding is a problem in some parts (drive through after a rain and you won't believe the standing water all over that last for days) and you are not permitted to park on any of the streets. Most of the homes have small parking pads so something to keep in mind....

Old 03-07-2015, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 710 times
I realize this is an older thread but we are looking at the neighborhood now (lakeside) and are wondering about safety, schools, and resale value/ease.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Old 03-15-2015, 02:45 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
Buy on Lakeside and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary