Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times

Advertisements

Any experiences/info appreciated including complexes or even areas you would suggest to check out OR avoid. More info:

- MUST have a W/D in the unit (which probably eliminates most privatized renters).

- Beyond that, most important thing by far is a "nice" area, ie clean and especially QUIET (this likely eliminates anything too close to downtown and/or college campuses).....basically "respectable" if you know what I mean.

- Cost basically not a factor

- "Community" features (pool tennis etc) and schools are totally unimportant

- Telecommuter, so traffic not a big deal per se, other than don't want to live too near a major highway or traffic mostly due to noise thing. Also don't care about nearby shopping, although a grocery store not too far away would be good.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Just curious...why do you assume having a washer/dryer in-unit would exclude private owners renting out? I would assume the opposite. Most rental communities don't offer washers and dryers in every unit, while many private owners renting out will include it as an incentive. Especially if they are with a rental agency. We rented a 2300 square foot house in Apex for 2 years that came equipt with a brand new washer and dryer by a private rental agency.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM

55 posts, read 232,860 times
Default Nice Townhomes

Hi I just moved here from CT in June and we love our townhome, you can get hook ups or they will also rent W/D to you. The complex is great and the neighbors also..
Welcome to Beachwood Park Townhomes ~ A Rental Community

Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Just curious...why do you assume having a washer/dryer in-unit would exclude private owners renting out? I would assume the opposite. Most rental communities don't offer washers and dryers in every unit, while many private owners renting out will include it as an incentive. Especially if they are with a rental agency.
Agreed. Not really sure why you're rule out places with W/D hookups either, if money is no object, since renting a W/D will run you about $35 a month.

With no idea on what you're looking for in terms of price, location, amenities it'll be impossible to make any reasonable suggestions.

If lack of noise is highest on your list, you might want to look out in the country.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Any experiences/info appreciated including complexes or even areas you would suggest to check out OR avoid. More info:

- MUST have a W/D in the unit (which probably eliminates most privatized renters).

- Beyond that, most important thing by far is a "nice" area, ie clean and especially QUIET (this likely eliminates anything too close to downtown and/or college campuses).....basically "respectable" if you know what I mean.

- Cost basically not a factor

- "Community" features (pool tennis etc) and schools are totally unimportant

- Telecommuter, so traffic not a big deal per se, other than don't want to live too near a major highway or traffic mostly due to noise thing. Also don't care about nearby shopping, although a grocery store not too far away would be good.......
You are definitely reducing your options by not considering privately owned properties. Most of the apartments that I looked at that were rented by management companies did not have w/d included, so I ended up buying my own. When I decided to start looking for a place that was privately owned (bad experience at the apartment complex and much better prior experiences with landlord owned/managed properties) I found that most of the places I was interested in had w/d included - but I had my own to have to contend with. I had a much more difficult time finding a privately owned rental WITHOUT a w/d and just the hookups for my own w/d.

Also, you are reducing your options even further by eliminating everything close to downtown or a college campus because you perceive them as not being "nice" and "respectable". Some of the nicest neighborhoods in Raleigh are close to downtown and very near colleges. In fact, the first place that comes to mind is the Cameron Village Condos. Many of them are "townhouse style" in that they are two story and basically a townhouse, but the association is a condo. Every one I have seen available for rent had w/d included. Only thing is that they are privately owned and relatively close to NC State, although it is in more of an established neighborhood and many are owner occupied.

Also, does it absolutely have to be a townhouse? There are very few, if any, townhouse complexes that are rentals. Most of them are privately owned and rented out by the owners.

I would advise that you check craigslist with your parameters and see what comes up.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM

185 posts, read 575,926 times
Hedingham!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:10 AM

29 posts, read 101,886 times
Falls Creek Apts in North Raleigh are townhomes that come with W/D.
Falls Creek Apartments

Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Agreed. Not really sure why you're rule out places with W/D hookups either, if money is no object, since renting a W/D will run you about $35 a month.
It's not that "money is no object," I'm just not interested in having to rent out a W/D if I can help it, ie the additional cost and hassle - I realize it may come to that, but I prefer to look at other options first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I had a much more difficult time finding a privately owned rental WITHOUT a w/d and just the hookups for my own w/d.
I would love to hear about some of these places.

Quote:
Also, you are reducing your options even further by eliminating everything close to downtown or a college campus because you perceive them as not being "nice" and "respectable".
You misunderstood; that remark was in reference to quiet. I'm sure there are some quieter places in those areas, but the odds are lower and knowing my luck I prefer to hedge my bets.

Quote:
Also, does it absolutely have to be a townhouse?
...or an actual house, yes. ie not looking for an apt. It seems that generally you get more bang for your buck on a townhouse vs a house though (ie more square footage, etc) and not interested in doing someone else's yardwork, so figured made more sense to check townhouses as a first option.

Quote:
There are very few, if any, townhouse complexes that are rentals. Most of them are privately owned and rented out by the owners.
I'm getting that impression - that's why I asked. There do appear to be at least a few that are rented by realtors, but also finding little in the way of W/D inclusions.

Quote:
Hedingham!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Falls Creek Apts in North Raleigh are townhomes that come with W/D.
Falls Creek Apartments
Thanks!! Will definitely check these out....

Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
There is also a townhome rental community called Beaver Creek in Apex right off 55. Don't know if they have w/d included or not, but it is mostly townhome rentals.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,546,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
There is also a townhome rental community called Beaver Creek in Apex right off 55. Don't know if they have w/d included or not, but it is mostly townhome rentals.
Yuck, yuck, yuck! Their website makes the place look SO nice but when I actually went there, it was just gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary