Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:57 PM

319 posts, read 1,478,472 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Orlando. I came to NC for college. NC is a change of pace from Orlando. I am not bored here. My activities here center more around the outdoors. Hiking, biking, and exploring the outdoors. I can take weekend trips to the coast and the mountains. I spend my weekends exploring farmer's markets and farms.

New Smyrna beach is still one of my favorites beach to visit near Orlando. My hobbies in Orlando were shopping the outlets, going to Downtown Disney, and the theme parks. Orlando worked for me when I was single and clubbing.

Now that I am partnered up, hot clubs are not a necessity in my life. I don't regret living in NC. What would I do without sweet tea and good bbq?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 AM

324 posts, read 1,527,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danadana View Post
New Smyrna beach is still one of my favorites beach to visit near Orlando. My hobbies in Orlando were shopping the outlets, going to Downtown Disney, and the theme parks. Orlando worked for me when I was single and clubbing.Now that I am partnered up, hot clubs are not a necessity in my life.
same here...but when i was in tampa I'd go to John's Pass, The pier, (shopping & eating at both places) Clearwater beach etc all the time

& still not bored in raleigh

Old 10-03-2008, 05:22 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Regarding the question of boredom.

I am a Miami native and find that living in Florida entails more of an outpouring of money for many activities, so I found bored out of poorness quite often! There are just more local events here in Raleigh that are free for the public. rnc2mbfl's posts list a lot of good examples of the varying activities that appeal to a variety of people, and how life is different in both areas.

And as others have stated, I spend a lot more time doing outdoor activities throughout the year here, not only in the local area, but also in other parts of the state. There are just more outdoor options, and less hostile weather, in this part of NC vs. FL, IMHO. The parks system here is truly awesome and the community definitely makes use of the resources that are provided for it. For me, this has resulted in a healthier lifestyle!

Two years in and no regrets so far!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:44 AM

246 posts, read 626,955 times
I came up to NC for college from Tampa. And I don't regret it at all.

I love the Triangle, it feels like home. Florida, felt fake to me, to the people I met to the restaurants.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:16 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It would be my DH, DD, and DS. I just don't want them to think it's boring. My son is 14 and daughter 18.
I grew up in a small town in VA. It didn't even have a stop light. So, how could anyone be bored in Raleigh?

I have one friend that moved from NC to FL to position herself to eventually enter graduate school. She was is a young professions (late 20's) and wasn't born and raised in NC. She found it easier to submerge herself into various cultures in FL. (She was entering grad school for some type of International studies.) That was really her only reason for leaving.

My other friend lives in FL. She has been there for 10-15 years and really, really, really wants to move to Raleigh. Her house was on the market; then the FL real estate market declined. So, she can't move. She visited Raleigh a few times in the past. Already, she has made a ton of friends. She's in her 50's. So, it's not like she is hitting the bars and nightlife scene.

Beckycat, I hope you and your family arrive in Raleigh soon. I've read your posts now for awhile, especially the ones about your visit. It really makes me take a second look at Raleigh from a fresh perspective. So...hurry up...sell that house...pack the U-Haul....and COME ON UP!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:16 AM

22 posts, read 81,029 times
If you are young and single - Miami is the city for you. Tampa and Orlando i found to be boring everytime I went up there. They are tourist attractions but if you live there - how many more times can you find Universal Studios amusing? Nice towns, just not many community activities.

Miami is not for those making $10-$12hr. You will struggle. I lived in Kendall a town of Miami and my 1 bedroom cost $1095. If i wanted to live in someone's remodeled garage I could have paid $800-900.

I moved there in 1997 for college. I can tell you I had the TIME of my life. If you're a young single woman, you'll find that you wont have to to pay for much. If you're dressed for the occasion, bars and clubs will always let you in for free with free drinks. I was able to get my studies done and my PARTY ON. This all depends of course on what type of gal you are. Guys on the other hand will find themselves broke real quick. My husband and I found that every activity in Miami revolves around drinking and partying. Not bad if you are 22 but once you get older you look for other things. That is where Raleigh is different. There are alot of community / outdoor activities that you can do for free.

Everything in a city like Miami will cost you $$. There might be a free concert in downtown but the parking will run you $15-20, no food can be brought to the premises so you're stuck buying their food. For a family that can easily run you $3.50 a hot dog ($4.50 if you want supreme) and $2.00 drink per person. I know crazy.

For the guys - I can tell you if you want to see some of the most sensual looking women in the world - Miami will not let you down.

For the people who are in college - this is a great city to live in and you'll have fun. But if you are anything like me, once the partying is over, you have your act together and looking to make more bank - Miami is not the city for you unless you are in a specific industry.

If your company deals mainly with Latin America - Miami is a hub for that industry.

If you've ever wanted to open up a club, hotel or just work in general in the "hospitality and management" Miami is the perfect choice. I'd hate to bring it up but exotic dancers also do well in Miami and neighboring Broward county. Anything that has to do with "entertaintment" Miami will create more career opportunities for you in those sectors.

One last thing -be ready for people to speak to you randomnly in Spanish. There are so many people who can't speak English. You can't avoid this most of these folks "run" Miami and because of this they'll get ANNOYED at you for not being able to speak Spanish. I know it's not cool but that's how the culture works.

I don't regret moving. All my family lives in Miami. I visit every three months and am always thankful I don't have to deal with the traffic, the culture, and all the money I have to shell out for things I know should be cheap.

i've lowered my cost of living by 25% moving to Raleigh.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami2Creedmoor View Post
If you are young and single - Miami is the city for you.....Miami is not for those making $10-$12hr. You will struggle.

Therein lies the problem. Young people typically don't make good money! This is especially true in Miami where salaries are low and costs of living are high! If you are a trust fund kid or somehow have hit the jackpot, Miami is an amazing place to be young and single...especially if you are beautiful.
Everything in a city like Miami will cost you $$....For the guys - I can tell you if you want to see some of the most sensual looking women in the world - Miami will not let you down.
This is true. The women are the most beautiful in the world but they can cost you everything in your wallet trying to live up their expectations.

If your company deals mainly with Latin America - Miami is a hub for that industry.
Per my previous post, I totally agree.

One last thing -be ready for people to speak to you randomnly in Spanish. There are so many people who can't speak English.
It's true that there are tons of Spanish speaking people in Miami but my experience is that 98% of them also speak English. For me, the only times I have not been able to communicate in English is when I was trying to speak to a very low paid laborer.
See my comments embedded in the Quote above.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:40 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Well we already talked about it and I do, except that I recently went to Asheville and along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I loved it! It's a loooooong drive from St. Petersburg, so, there's that

Old 10-03-2008, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,837 times
I live in martin county florida, which was listed on the forbes list #7 best places to raise a family. I was born and raised here I am raising 3 kids here and love it. The issue is my husband has changed careers and is now living during the week in Orlando. I hate orlando the thought of moving there makes me sick! My husband has a job offer with the same company in Cary NC. Could some one give me some advice on good school districs in the 27513 zip.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:42 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor5 View Post
I live in martin county florida, which was listed on the forbes list #7 best places to raise a family. I was born and raised here I am raising 3 kids here and love it. The issue is my husband has changed careers and is now living during the week in Orlando. I hate orlando the thought of moving there makes me sick! My husband has a job offer with the same company in Cary NC. Could some one give me some advice on good school districs in the 27513 zip.
Thanks for all the wonderful responses! I;d definately recommend it! Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary