Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 07:04 AM

39 posts, read 149,663 times

Advertisements

Are there any small towns around Raleigh that dont have to pay City taxes yet have good schools as well? I have researched Clayton but are there any others? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by essn1977 View Post
Are there any small towns around Raleigh that dont have to pay City taxes yet have good schools as well? I have researched Clayton but are there any others? Thanks in advance
You will pay city or town taxes as owed to any town in which you live.
The only way to avoid city or town taxes is to live in an unincorporated area where the County is the only municipality.

Schools are organized at the County level, so good schools are also available in unincorporated areas.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:08 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
And you can bet that alot of the unincorporated areas will eventually be annexed in by the local town. We live in an area of Clayton (Clayton schools, JC water, etc) that is called Wendell (even tho' Wendell is actually Wake county). The Wendell post office handles our mail, hence we are called "Wendell". Both Clayton and Wendell are talking about annexing us in AND the area is in the process of incorporating (Archer Lodge) so we'll see what happens.

Other towns near here that are also Clayton schools,etc are Zebulon and Selma. There are tons of areas like this one too. So keep that in mind when you are looking. Initially, the listing on our house was listed as "Clayton" because it needed to show the proper county and schools.

Lauren

Old 10-04-2008, 04:12 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I am always amazed at how many people want everything for nothing. But, in case I am missing something, let me put in my request. Does anyone want to give me one of those new VW Clean Diesel Jettas? I want one but I don't want to pay for it.

But, I digress...

As for schools, you will get what you pay for if you are looking to avoid taxes. And, given that many schools systems in the area are county-wide, you will be paying for them regardless of whether or not you are in the city. You will also pay privately for the services that would be included as part of your tax bill.

Now, if you want to make your own value proposition about what you will pay in taxes at the end of the day, I suggest that you first look at the different tax rates across the various counties and cities. Then, take into account the value of comparable homes in those areas and figure out the tax bills based on the various tax rates. Then, look the metrics by which you can compare the schools and systems (mostly standardized test scores) and come to your own conclusion.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 AM

39 posts, read 149,663 times
Ok I understand that Well what Im looking for is a more Rural area.. I think Apex is a good choice from what I have been reading..

Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 AM

8 posts, read 22,741 times
Fuquay is a good choice, we live out side the city limits and only pay county tax, the school are good and the town is growing like crazy

Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn1174 View Post
Fuquay is a good choice, we live out side the city limits and only pay county tax, the school are good and the town is growing like crazy
Some beautiful neighborhoods along Sunset lake Road between Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina (Fuquay address) that don't pay city taxes FOR NOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary