Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,809 times

Advertisements

ITB has plenty of both. Cameron Park is very liberal. Five Points is much closer to 50-50. Hayes Barton is pretty well split. Country Club Hills is very conservative. Lakestone and the White Oak Rd areas lean republican. SE Raleigh and University Park are pro democrat. It is amusing to me that folks that do not live in town have strong opinions on our politics and so many other in town issues. You also have many old, southern families that were yellow dog democrats that vote republican. Yellow dog democrat may need to be explained to some of the non southerners on the board.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
ITB has plenty of both. Cameron Park is very liberal. Five Points is much closer to 50-50. Hayes Barton is pretty well split. Country Club Hills is very conservative. Lakestone and the White Oak Rd areas lean republican. SE Raleigh and University Park are pro democrat. It is amusing to me that folks that do not live in town have strong opinions on our politics and so many other in town issues. You also have many old, southern families that were yellow dog democrats that vote republican. Yellow dog democrat may need to be explained to some of the non southerners on the board.
What about Historic Oakwood??

Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 PM

171 posts, read 451,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
If I am working in RTP or Raleigh, where would be a good place to live if I am looking for a good conservative core value area? Religion is a non issue, as I am not particularly religious. The balance of the core conservative principles would be what I am looking for in the population. At the very least, where conservatives out number Liberals. Obviously Chapel hill and Carrboro would be out.
Not that Republicans represent core conservative values anymore, but I'm finding more Republican yard signs than Democrat yard signs in Apex. So at least you might be likelier to find like-minded, true conservatives in a town like Apex even if it means you'll have to endure living near a few big government neocons or hellfire and brimstone fundies (actually I have yet to come across any that I'm aware of).

Actually, there's a good mix of thoughtful political views here in Apex (and I suspect much of the Triangle). While there are a lot of conservatives in my particular neighborhood, there are also many liberals and we all seem to get along and have a mutual respect for each other. Politicians could learn a lot about statesmanship, respect and the existence of common ground by spending some time here.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Default reply

Correct on Oakwood. My point is that ITB is no different than most areas of any city. Not all of ITB is inner city. Most hoods are made up of all types. That is what I love about it.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,369 times
Quote:
Yellow dog democrat may need to be explained to some of the non southerners on the board.
My Granny & Grandaddy were Yellow Dog Democrats. Drove my Daddy crazy. That's my job now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_dog_Democrat

Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
Quote:
Correct on Oakwood. My point is that ITB is no different than most areas of any city. Not all of ITB is inner city. Most hoods are made up of all types. That is what I love about it.
Good summary.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:06 PM

Default reply

Jesse Helms, I Beverly Lake, Willis Smith and Tom Ellis all lived ITB. Most of you know about Sen Helms. The rest all played HUGE roles in NC politics. Look them up.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney02 View Post
Try Clayton or N.E. Raleigh. Lots of stay-at-home moms and traditional family values. The lower price point is in those areas is attractive to one-income families.
Hmm..I know lots of stay at home moms who have traditional family values and are very liberal. I didn't realize you had to be conservative to have traditional family values

Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

FWIW, I would look to inside the beltline in Raleigh.
Nooo! Please, no.

What about Wakefield Plantation?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:49 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm guessing that is sarcasm right?
Hate to break it to you, but the Obama yard signs I see inside the Beltline outnumber the McCain ones -- even in Hayes Barton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary