Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 11:06 AM

42 posts, read 166,409 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between North and South Raleigh? Or is there a difference? The realtor that we are working with seems to be steering us towards the North? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,076 times
Well, the main difference is, due to neighboring towns, Raleigh hasn't annexed as much land south of downtown...so North Raleigh is like 3 times the size of South Raleigh.
Also, neighborhoods to the south of downtown are historically blue collar and/or lower middle class areas that aren't yet full of all the new growth and frou frou subdivisions that have been going up in North Raleigh. Personally, I think you can find much better deals in south raleigh than north...but for realtors, that means less commission, I guess.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:14 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyscot View Post
What is the difference between North and South Raleigh? Or is there a difference? The realtor that we are working with seems to be steering us towards the North? Thanks.
Depends what you are lookin for.....Lots of high-end and retail grown in North Raleigh.....Southern portions are still growing...just a bit slower and, as Raleigh Rob mentioned, more 'middle of the road' (but not exclusively - it's not an either/or thing...just a matter of percentages).

One is not better then the other as a matter or course....they are just different and you have to find out which one best suits what you are looking for.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:19 PM

251 posts, read 1,142,826 times
The north side is the best if you want the best appreciation. Not all the homes are high priced, but enough are to make the area very desirable. A lot of areas are in the watershed so the lots are larger and the population is not dense. That means less traffic, noise, and congestion.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...15/story3.html

Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
I object to the term "steering". The FIRST thing I do with my new clients is explain the different areas in Wake County. I explain that the more desireable areas will cost more. I explain why. I explain the school system and show them the scores. If they are buying a $300,000 house, I show them what $300,000 will buy them in North Raleigh versus Garner versus Johnston County. We then go out to look at properties. The best decisions are the educated ones. If you have an agent that is "steering" you, you need to ask them why and hopefully, better educate yourself.

And Raleigh Rob...its not a question of higher commission. The truth of it is that if you want to spend $200,000, my job is to help you find what you can buy for $200,000. If you want to spend that $200,000 and I take you to Chapel Hill to look at $250,000 homes, I'd be doing a huge dis service to my clients and I'm sure the clients would wonder why I'm showing them homes that they do not intend to buy. What a waste of their time and mine. Nope...its not about the commission.

Vicki

Old 01-23-2007, 12:56 PM

Maybe "steering" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps after getting to know us and our wants and needs in a neighborhood/house/community, the realtor thought we would be happier in North Raleigh. Most realtors that I have been in contact with don't actually "show" us the school scores but rather direct us to the WCPSS site and the NC Report Card site so that we can access the information ourselves. Therefore, we are actually educating ourselves rather than getting the info from a third party. Thus, the reason for my question, to better educate ourselves to make the best decision for our family. Thanks to all for your input.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Quote:
Maybe "steering" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps after getting to know us and our wants and needs in a neighborhood/house/community, the realtor thought we would be happier in North Raleigh. Most realtors that I have been in contact with don't actually "show" us the school scores but rather direct us to the WCPSS site and the NC Report Card site so that we can access the information ourselves. Therefore, we are actually educating ourselves rather than getting the info from a third party. Thus, the reason for my question, to better educate ourselves to make the best decision for our family. Thanks to all for your input.
Well, I'm glad that you don't FEEL like your Realtor is pushing you one way or the other. That was my point. If schools are a big issue, I think North Raleigh or Cary probably has the better scores. Sometimes if you really like a neighborhood but the school scores aren't what you'd like to see, I recommend that you visit the school. As I always say...its your opinion that counts. Above all...don't get too stressed. Finding a new place to live should be a little bit of fun! Vicki

Old 01-23-2007, 02:49 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
And Raleigh Rob...its not a question of higher commission. Nope...its not about the commission.

I object to the term "steering".

Well, I'm glad that you don't FEEL like your Realtor is pushing you one way or the other.
Vicki, based on your posts, you are a fine Realtor. However, not all Realtors are adhering to the the same code of conduct that you were trained to adhere. It's a simple fact.

And, yes, some Realtors are in it purely for the commission. Some steer. Some let their personal opinions get in the way of the consumer's best interests or simple desires. And that's why the rules exist to prevent such behavior from occurring. That doesn't mean that violations do not occur, however. Consumers must know that such behavior exists, so they CAN ask the right questions and encourage such Realtors to adhere to the high standards of being a professional Realtor.

I, too, have a tendency to defend the profession as a whole, but the reality is that everyone is not like me or you and there are many savvy rogues out there that bend the rules who might steer based on their personal preferences (including bumping up a potential commission). Most, I believe, are not like that... certainly not you... but one cannot say in absolute terms what motivates each and every individually motivated Realtor. But, yes, obtaining a higher commission may actually be a motivator, and getting one increased is a nice perk. Nonetheless, it's important that consumers understand the dark side, too, so they can move on from that Realtor or report them, if need be, and enlist someone more, well, like yourself.

Sh*t happens.

However, commissions are, in fact, a motivator because that's mainly how a Realtor is compensated. That surely goes without saying, but it's important to note that they are salespeople too, and those representing the seller will do what they can to sell their client's home for the highest price possible. And that's why negotiating skills are absolutely necessary for the agent representing the buyer (seller, too, of course). The buyer's agent must try to get the best possible home for the best possible price for the buyer and that requires negotiation with the seller especially if the seller doesn't want to budge. Diplomacy helps too, but good negotiation skills include that.

It is also important to note that, unless you have signed a binding buyer's agreement that prevents you from firing your agent without going to court (I don't know if one exists), fire them if they are not performing to the standards set forth during your initial interview with that agent. When we fired our agent, I informed her, in person, in hopes such information would make her a better professional (rather than turning a cold shoulder to her and not return her calls). Communication is key and if you as a consumer suspect that an agent is steering (or anything like that), then call them on it. They may not even be aware of such behavior.

Don't mean to put you on the defensive, Vicki. I hope you aren't. I enjoy your posts. Mostly. j/k

Pardoning my side bar (or threadjack), as far as North and South is concerned, I've come across a number of nice homes in my own search that can be had for a good price. You simply need to drive around and pull things up, both, on the Internet and with your Realtor. I like the North side myself since I've found some great neighborhoods that are resurging, as well as some new communities that have an old time feel, yet are brand spanking new like Bedford. Shopping seems abundant up there too. Accessibility is key and seems like you can get everywhere from there.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post

It is also important to note that, unless you have signed a binding buyer's agreement that prevents you from firing your agent without going to court (I don't know if one exists), fire them if they are not performing to the standards set forth during your initial interview with that agent.
CaliBoy and Vicki, you've brought up some interesting points. My question to both of you would be? Must a buyers agreement be signed before working with an agent? And if so? What are some questions that a buyer can ask a realtor to make sure that this realtor is working in his best interests? Can't most just talk their way through?

Old 01-23-2007, 06:15 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,768 times
Quote:
CaliBoy and Vicki, you've brought up some interesting points. My question to both of you would be? Must a buyers agreement be signed before working with an agent? And if so? What are some questions that a buyer can ask a realtor to make sure that this realtor is working in his best interests? Can't most just talk their way through?
Vicki knows the laws of this state when it comes to Real Estate more than I, however (I'm from California and still learning the ropes here). But, as far as signing the buyer's agreement, I did not sign one until we were ready to place an offer on the property. And, I'm assuming that what I was signing was for that transaction only, but I'm not quite sure. Of course, at that point, I was happy with our Realtor and did not mind working with him on other transactions.

Nonetheless, it's a good idea for a Realtor to get some sort of agreement signed with the buyer. But, as a buyer, a conversation never tells me enough until I spend the day with that Realtor looking at properties. It is only after spending some time with the person that I know if their personality meshes with mine, and if they can manage the negotiation process as well as the legal aspects.

Again, in my case, we went through a few Realtors while we were in California who just could not communicate well through email, nor would send us much in the way of offerings in the city we were about buy. And the one we fired just didn't mesh with us on a personal level as well as her inability to instill confidence that she could properly manage the transaction from beginning to end. However, we did find another Realtor, by accident, while looking at another property we found on our own. We were so impressed, that we enlisted him right away. Not necessarily the best, in our opinion, but very good at helping us from beginning to end (and quite knowledgeable).

Nonetheless, from the buyer's perspective, there is no way I'm signing anything until I get to know the Realtor. Nothing says you must sign something just to be shown inventory. But, I understand why some Realtors would want to have a buyer sign an agreement because a lot of work goes into showing buyers properties. And, unfortunately, a lot of buyers will use a Realtor for information without even the real intention of buying. And that costs the Realtor a lot of money, too, when a buyer doesn't buy (for non-legitimate reasons, particularly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary