Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times

Advertisements

Where do most people (such as newcomers/out-of-towners) look for a house to rent in Raleigh? The News & Observer? Craigslist? Realtor.com? Is there any other place?

We have a 3 BD, 2.5 BA house (deck, fireplace, fenced yard, 2-car garage, convenient, nice) for rent in Raleigh, and we have advertised on Craigslist before, but after a few bad experiences, we don't really want to go that route. I read that there was a "house for rent" scam on Craigslist where people ask for upfront money on houses that don't exist, so I can understand why people may not want to use Craigslist unless they were very careful.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:44 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times
When I was in Massachusetts I looked on realtor.com for a rental. I didn't know where else to go. In fact I may have looked other places, but I just didn't have the time. The sale of our house went really quick and we were flying blind.

I think Craigslist is a great place to list. A lot of locals will look there I'm sure. Tell us about your bad experience renting through a CL ad.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 PM

In summary, this is what happens:

The tenants pay for a few months and then stop. The house they rent is beautiful and well maintained. We are good landlords and respect their privacy and respond to any issues. (There have been no issues, though.)

They stop paying because they simply cannot afford it. Yet they try to stay as long as possible. Then we have to go through the eviction game.

We'd just like someone who will pay the rent.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM

228 posts, read 802,787 times
Ironically we're in the opposite boat, we're looking for a place to rent and are excellent renters (both of us have professional degrees and we work at universities). I've been looking online, I found that Duke U has a decent database. But so far I haven't had much luck. I've tried a few search engines but they are not that good. Inevitably the engine will never show the square footage or the age of the place, and very few actually have pictures. For example i've seen houses that are older than me with similiar s.f. as apartments selling for more than the rent of the apt. On the other hand i've seen great houses selling for about the cost of our apartment rent.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

The tenants pay for a few months and then stop. The house they rent is beautiful and well maintained. We are good landlords and respect their privacy and respond to any issues. (There have been no issues, though.)

They stop paying because they simply cannot afford it. Yet they try to stay as long as possible. Then we have to go through the eviction game.

How annoying! Do you do a credit check on your potential renters? I would make anyone submit a rental application and be subject to a credit check.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
How annoying! Do you do a credit check on your potential renters? I would make anyone submit a rental application and be subject to a credit check.
Indeed. Credit and background check + references. Unless they call me ahead of time and let me know they are going to be late, I've sent late notices CMRRR on the 6th (the day rent is considered late) indicating that they are in breach of their lease and that I expect them to pay or quit and start the eviction process.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 PM

187 posts, read 623,537 times
Everyone I know finds their rentals on Craigslist in Nashville...Just sayin.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Honestly that is just bad luck with your tenants, it's not really Craigslist... I know plenty of people who love Craigslist exclusively. I would have used it myself but my yard signs worked for me right away.

What are you doing to get the lease secured, 1 months deposit? Credit check? Reference? Some people don't believe in it but I go on gut instinct as well. Even if all three of the previous list lined up perfectly, if I felt iffy about someone, I'm not giving them the keys. Like I said, some people will think it's crazy to reduce my pool of potential tenants but there were people who called about my place and I didn't even return the call based on the messages they left or initial conversations I had.

Hang in there, with the credit market the way it is you'll find someone just as long as you're not terribly overpriced. The banks aren't lending as much money but people are still getting married, having babies, adopting pets... essentially outgrowing apartment living.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Have you tried postlets?

Anyway, the same caveats apply no matter where you find your tenant. You need to screen the tenant appropriately, get an appropriate security deposit and be very systematic in your approach to the landlord/tenant relationship.

If the tenant does not pay rent, it is time for the tenant to leave.

It's okay if you have friends that don't pay you money they owe you and come up with dozens of excuses as to why they can't pay you back. Just don't plan on treating your tenants that way, or you'll find yourself carrying the mortgage and spending a lot of time trying to chase down late rent.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:49 AM

Yes, we have learned the hard way that we can no longer trust our instincts. We always had a solid lease, had the tenants pay the appropriate security deposit, and checked employment references. We became increasingly systematic in our landlord/tenant relationships. We have now signed up with a tenant background check company and are ready. We just need good people who need a nice house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary