Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 04:22 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,923 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! I read that flooding is not a problem in most of Raleigh metro, so my question is why arent there more new subdivisions being built with basements? Basements make great storage area's an play area's for kids.

I'm currently living in Las Vegas and they dont make basements here due to the soil being rock hard. So we have a 3 car garage for extra space.

And are 3 car garages an option when buying a new home in Raleigh?

Thank you

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 04:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Hi everybody! I read that flooding is not a problem in most of Raleigh metro, so my question is why arent there more new subdivisions being built with basements? Basements make great storage area's an play area's for kids.

I'm currently living in Las Vegas and they dont make basements here due to the soil being rock hard. So we have a 3 car garage for extra space.

And are 3 car garages an option when buying a new home in Raleigh?

Thank you

T
Other then daylight basements build on a sloping property, they just don't do basements around here. A few here and there...sure. Some say it's because of the clay, others the water table....I just don't think it's part of the history of the area for the most part.

You can find three car garages...but mostly in homes over 600k or so. You don't find many older homes that even have garages.....they have car ports. Again, just the style of the area.

Also what you refer to as the Raleigh Metro (you don't hear that term used around here much either) you have a wide variety of communities and housing styles and and around the Triangle. If you look hard and long enough, you can probably find just about any sort of home you are looking for.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:32 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
You can have a three car garage, sure.

You can surely have a basement, too, if you want one.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:49 PM

41 posts, read 316,656 times
I know that the Brightleaf community in Durham is having options for basements and 3 car garages. Homes range from 200-500K.
Hope this helps!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:09 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default read more

I replied to another post that has basement in the title.

Basements were never popular here because footings here dont have to go anywhere near as deep as say up north so the extra digging would only be for a basement where up north it is needed anyway because they already have to dig far down.

Most basements here are what the other poster said, daylight / sloped basements.

A 3 car garage is not a problem to find here, many will have an extra built somehow since most homes spec out with a 2 car. If building new, intergrate it into the house.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:07 PM

55 posts, read 211,148 times
Default basements

Most old Raleigh homes built before WWII have basements. All of my friends homes were built with basements. Most have been finished. So historically, Raleigh homes had basements. The non TRUE custom suburban home rarely has a basement unless built on a slope. I have had them in both of the old homes that we have lived in. I too enjoy being down under. They make a great place for a late night party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary