Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 07:03 AM

159 posts, read 287,024 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a place that sells Banana Leaves in the area? East of Wake County is more convenient, but hey.

I imagine that if Whole Foods or Farm Fresh do not have them, that some of the smaller ethnic shops ought to. Fresh or frozen will work for this recipe.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 AM

181 posts, read 485,628 times
If you call Whole Foods, they can tell you whether or not they have them. I believe I've seen them there before, but a quick phone call could answer your question.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:23 AM

355 posts, read 1,502,711 times
You can call one of the Indian grocery stores too. They might be able to tell you.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,568 times
Try one of the many Mexican food marts. A major one is Compare Foods. In Durham, they're on Avondale and another on University/Lakewood (the Lakewood section). I just checked their website and there's a new one opening in Garner for you:Compare Foods Supermarkets. The front page of their current circular is advertising "hoja de platano", which, if my shaky Spanish serves me right, are banana leaves!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 PM

49 posts, read 188,533 times
If frozen will work for you, you can go to the asian/oriental market off of capital blvd. It is close to the babies r us/chuck e cheeses and rock and roll tattoo.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 6,399 times
Default Fresh banana leaves (frozen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_England View Post
Can anyone recommend a place that sells Banana Leaves in the area? East of Wake County is more convenient, but hey.

I imagine that if Whole Foods or Farm Fresh do not have them, that some of the smaller ethnic shops ought to. Fresh or frozen will work for this recipe.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Dave
Dave,

You can get banana leaves (frozen) for around $1.59 at the latin supermarket
behind the Pizza Inn on New Hope Church Road close to the corner of Atlantic Ave. I shop there all the time. I hope this helps.

Marlon.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM

242 posts, read 795,948 times
This probably won't help you now, but for the last 2 years we've been growing a banana tree in our back yard. Once the frost hits, it dies back. I cut it down and it grows back the following year. It produces large nice looking leaves. Of course it doesn't and never will produce bananas but it's kind of neat to look at.

Anyway, you might considering growing one next year if you think you'll have an ongoing need for the leaves.

Good luck...

Old 12-17-2009, 08:58 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,519 times
Another one to try: Grand Asia Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary