Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:53 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times

Advertisements

Have you spent time in each? Cary is very clean, organized, has lots of everything some might need nearby (big box stores, chain restaurants, etc). You can more more for your money. Chapel Hill does not allow the big box stores, shuns chain restaurants, has a far more liberal vibe than Cary. Homes are more expensive, has more of an eclectic feel to it. In some ways, Cary is everything Chapel Hill loathes and Chapel Hill is everything Cary loathes.

I think if you can spend a couple of days in each, you will know which you love and which you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 04:02 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Chapel Hill does not allow the big box stores, shuns chain restaurants,

Isn't there a Lowes and a Hardees in Chapel Hill?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:17 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
In some ways, Cary is everything Chapel Hill loathes and Chapel Hill is everything Cary loathes.
Well,
Good Golly Miss Molly, I live in Cary and I didn't realize that we really "loathed" much of anything, or kept a list of what we loathed.

Is that what folks in Chapel Hill really do in their spare time??? Loathe stuff?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Isn't there a Lowes and a Hardees in Chapel Hill?
Both of those are over the Durham line.

There is McDonalds, KFC and Wendys though.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Both of those are over the Durham line.
LOWE'S OF CHAPEL HILL, NC, #0487
1801 FORDHAM BOULEVARD
CHAPEL HILL, NC 27514

That's BIG BOX in Chapel Hill.....

Old 11-03-2008, 04:50 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Have you spent time in each? Cary is very clean, organized, has lots of everything some might need nearby (big box stores, chain restaurants, etc). You can more more for your money. Chapel Hill does not allow the big box stores, shuns chain restaurants, has a far more liberal vibe than Cary. Homes are more expensive, has more of an eclectic feel to it. In some ways, Cary is everything Chapel Hill loathes and Chapel Hill is everything Cary loathes.

I think if you can spend a couple of days in each, you will know which you love and which you don't.
Loathes? Loathe means to dislike greatly and often with disgust or intolerance (according to Merriam-Webster). I feel sorry for anyone disgusted by Cary or Chapel Hill. CH wouldn't be my cup of tea, but to be disgusted by it is a bit much.

My favorite thing about Cary is the Town of Cary parks (Cary has a lot more to offer than big box stores and chain restaurants). As a SAHM I spent a lot of time there with my children. My oldest just started elementary school so I never experienced WCPSS first hand although if I had to do it again I would buy in West Cary where the schools are uniformly excellent.

Last edited by sls76; 11-03-2008 at 05:42 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
You're right, the county line just west of I-40, so Lowes squeaks in.

At least we kept the Wal-Mart out.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
You're right, the county line just west of I-40, so Lowes squeaks in.

At least we kept the Wal-Mart out.

That was a good move. Super Wal-Marts are great, as long as they are in another town.

I think Chapel Hill has a good share of chain this or that, but a good supply of local stuff, too. They just have less of everything than Cary does, as they limit growth. That can be a good thing for people that prefer minimum growth.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:40 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
IChapel Hill offers 18 active listings with a comparable cross section of ages, with SF between 2175 and 3452.
Mike are those 18 listings all Chapel Hill/ Carrborro schools? Folks with a Chapel Hill address might be assigned to one of many districts: Chapel Hill/ Carborro, Orange Co, Durham Co, or Chatham Co.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Mike are those 18 listings all Chapel Hill/ Carrborro schools? Folks with a Chapel Hill address might be assigned to one of many districts: Chapel Hill/ Carborro, Orange Co, Durham Co, or Chatham Co.
I understand. Good question. Don't know, but I limited the search to "Chapel Hill" which should deliver just like the mail.
Chapel Hill has a huge number of zones on the MLS.

I didn't really go through all the listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary