Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:30 PM

56 posts, read 149,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzernich View Post
I am considering a relocation around Memorial Day 2009 to North Carolina with my wife and three children, ages 10, 7, and 3. We have lived in Las Vegas since 2001 and my reasons for wishing to move from Las Vegas mainly center around Clark County’s poor public school system and a desire to live in a place better suited to raise a family. However, a big consideration is what type of salary I can get in the either the Triangle, Greenboro, or Charlotte area and I have no idea what to expect. Following is a little information about me.
I am a self-starting attorney who comes from an immediate and extended family that includes seven medical doctors, three lawyers, and a fortune 500 regional vice president. I was raised, and in turn raise my family, to have integrity, to work hard, and to finish the job. As a lawyer I believe in giving my client’s an honest opinion. A local judge routinely states in court that I inform my client’s what they need to know, not what they want to hear. My client’s have always seemed to appreciate this as it often times helps them more timely conclude their matter which in turns saves them money. It also allows me to sleep good at night.

I was first licensed to practice law in New Jersey in the year 2000 and then in Nevada in the year 2001. I have extensive experience in all aspects of family law which involves being in court many times of the week and often times every day of the week. I also have considerable experience in the personal injury field and some experience in general civil litigation, including in the federal court, and some experience in reviewing and drafting contracts. I have prepared for and conducted numerous trials.
I believe in community service and I’m proud to say that for almost five years I have been donating my time to a local father’s rights group by attending their weekly Tuesday evening meeting and discussing Nevada law as it pertains to their various family law issues (please don’t characterize me as only an advocate for father’s as my client base is comprised of both sexes). I have also coached and have helped raise money for numerous youth sports teams, and I am the Secretary for a local USA Wrestling youth wrestling Association.
I seek a position in the legal field either as in-house counsel or with a medium sized firm with a general civil litigation practice.
Any information about job opportunities, expected salary range, and/or referrals to a good head-hunter would be appreciated, as well as some information about the differences in the job market in the above stated areas.
First, good luck with your job search. Second, are you licensed in NC yet? If not, I am sure your aware you will have to do that (NC has some interesting statutes that other states do not!). Of course you'll become part of the NC Bar association which can give you lots of information and assistance. There are several other legal associations you can join and they can provide leads. A decent google search will provide names of just legal headhunters which can give you lots of information.
For now, why not simply use the Martindale-Hubbell law directory to start doing directed searches for where you want to go and the practice of your choice? Of course you should also realize that the surrounding area has UNC law school, Duke Law School, NCCU Law School, and about an hour away is Wake Forest Law school . So you will have lots of stiff competition (even those schools may provide you with the info you need).
The market is like any other, if your good, jobs can be found. But I came from NJ several years ago and it is certainly not the northeast. But the triangle is competitive, and outside of simply work, a beautiful area to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 PM

51 posts, read 230,383 times
Gary,
If you are going to be swearing at strangers on public forums while job searching, I strongly suggest that you get a user name that doesn't bring up your identity with a quick google search. It is hard to undo making a bad impression on an potential employer and everyone uses google these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary