Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM

23 posts, read 66,700 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Raleigh or Charlotte. We are native St. Louisians seeking a vibrant area, nice weather, and most important, good high schools. I have been researching Raleigh and Charlotte and I have been steered to Raleigh. I have no family in NC , so I am looking for input of course. I am completing my BA in Science and Math Education. So I would like to be in an area that I could also find a teaching position as well. Also I would like to be fairly close to one of the universities to complete my Graduate Degree. We really are looking for an area with diversity, good neighbors, affordable housing, and not too fast-paced. Does this area exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_nerd_girl View Post
I am looking to relocate to Raleigh or Charlotte. We are native St. Louisians seeking a vibrant area, nice weather, and most important, good high schools. I have been researching Raleigh and Charlotte and I have been steered to Raleigh. I have no family in NC , so I am looking for input of course. I am completing my BA in Science and Math Education. So I would like to be in an area that I could also find a teaching position as well. Also I would like to be fairly close to one of the universities to complete my Graduate Degree. We really are looking for an area with diversity, good neighbors, affordable housing, and not too fast-paced. Does this area exist?
My gut reaction is that if you are from St. Louis, you would like Charlotte better, but (a) which part of St. Louis are you from? (Where did you go to high school? LOL) and (b) why are you leaving?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
My gut reaction is that if you are from St. Louis, you would like Charlotte better, but (a) which part of St. Louis are you from? (Where did you go to high school? LOL) and (b) why are you leaving?
to answer your questions:

a) We live in Black Jack (unincorporated North St. Louis County).
Part II: I attended Ritenour High School and graduated from Hazelwood Central HS (how cliche' ).

b) I have been here all my life. I've always wanted to move someplace opposite - slower paced, more diverse, not as fast. Here you find just about every area in integrated. I want my kids to have more opportunities. North Carolina seems like it has more to offer my family. Which city do you believe is the most family oriented?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 AM

12 posts, read 38,341 times
I like the Raleigh area and more particularly the Clayton area just east of the capital for affordability and great high schools. The people are really nice, the schools generally do not make reassignments and my children are thriving in this area. ( we moved here 8 years ago from the coastal area of NC)

Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman712 View Post
I like the Raleigh area and more particularly the Clayton area just east of the capital for affordability and great high schools. The people are really nice, the schools generally do not make reassignments and my children are thriving in this area. ( we moved here 8 years ago from the coastal area of NC)
Thanks. I'll check into this area. We will be renting initially. Do you think we could find housing (3 BD's) around $1200 in Clayton?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,441 times
Come to Durham!

My friend from STL says Raleigh over Charlotte.

If you are considering Charlotte, ask the Charlotte folks what they think about "slower paced" and "diversity" there--not how it strikes me, but I don't know a whole lot about Charlotte.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Come to Durham!

My friend from STL says Raleigh over Charlotte.

If you are considering Charlotte, ask the Charlotte folks what they think about "slower paced" and "diversity" there--not how it strikes me, but I don't know a whole lot about Charlotte.
I'm hearing the same. According to conversations, Raleigh tends to be more family oriented. I was told Charlotte is like STL , which I am trying to get away from.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM

28 posts, read 263,069 times
I am from St. Louis and would prefer Raleigh to Charolotte. Wake Co. is growing like crazy though and the school board can't seem to make up thier mind as to whether they will go year round or stay traditional. Chapel Hill is very close by and has the best public schools in the area. I live in Mebane, which I love. It's a growing town. My kids go to year-round school in Orange Co.
The south is more diverse all over. I lived in Ballwin, Fenton, Creve Coeur and several other areas and found them to be far more segregated than any place here in NC.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfoke View Post
I am from St. Louis and would prefer Raleigh to Charolotte. Wake Co. is growing like crazy though and the school board can't seem to make up thier mind as to whether they will go year round or stay traditional. Chapel Hill is very close by and has the best public schools in the area. I live in Mebane, which I love. It's a growing town. My kids go to year-round school in Orange Co.
The south is more diverse all over. I lived in Ballwin, Fenton, Creve Coeur and several other areas and found them to be far more segregated than any place here in NC.
Thanks so much. This is also helpful for me in making my decision in which school district I would like to teach in. I really enjoy my summers off. I don't know if I can handle teaching year round. We do need our mental health days.

I will definitely visit Chapel Hill. I'm actually already sold on Raleigh.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:26 AM

228 posts, read 802,451 times
My wife is from STL, she went to Notre Dame. I don't know much about the schools, but I know Durham has what you seek, especially in Hope Valley area. The houses are about $110 per square foot, so $200 to $250k for a typical sized house. They are fairly new (90s-80s), the neighborhood is great (some parts are sketchy, like east STL), still have decent lot sizes. Oh from where we are Duke is about 6 mi and UNC CH is about the same. About a 15 minute drive but given the parking situation an hour commute each way is typical. (Parking is surprisingly horrid for such a small town).

Honestly none of the schools in the area are that good. The high schools from what i've been told have a 50% drop out rate. Hillside is not as good as Jordan HS, and this area straddles the line, some some are in Jordan, others in Hillside. It affects the property value to some extent. I'm sure CH HSs are good, but CH itself is extremely expensive, ie $400k for a typical 2000 sf house.

I don't know anything about raleigh, except that it's big and difficult to navigate, and about 30 miles east of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary