Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 PM

314 posts, read 1,037,172 times

Advertisements

Random violence is rare anyway. Most of the people being shot are involved in something they shouldn't haven been involved in. Not saying they deserve it but the general fear of being shot is unwarrented, even in bad areas. People get worked up over nothing.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM

12 posts, read 37,584 times
God ya'll act like this random act of violence means the city is crazy out of control, get out whiel you can. Why don't you vist ANY local news station website...heck visit www.wlox.com (the Mississippi Gulf Coast where I live) and check out our multiple news stories of violence...shooting here, robbery there, shooting there. You can't get a way from it folks. Never leaving your house or never going to a certain area certainly won't prevent something like every from happening as much as you would like to believe.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princepassa View Post
I have lived in the Triangle for 17 years, specifically Durham for 14 years and Chapel Hill for 3 years. There was a reason I stopped going to Northpoint years ago and now there is a reason I will no longer go to Southpoint... if Durham can't control it's crime, I certainly won't offer it any more of my sales dollars........... Bye Bye Durham... I don't live there anymore, and I definitely won't shop there anymore.
I know how you feel. I know Durham has much more crime than I am comfortable with, but I am surprised to see this type of thing happen in that area of Durham. People like to dismiss it, but that is the reason why the crime in Durham is getting worse. People need to get their heads out of the sand and address it.

The article originally did not state that he shot himself. That was added in an update. The article still does say:

"Officers responded to a call in reference to someone driving through the parking lot firing shots at about 3:28 p.m."

Obviously something else is going on with this case. Why would this guy drive around shooting out the window and then shoot himself and then not have his car?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:53 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
I know how you feel. I know Durham has much more crime than I am comfortable with, but I am surprised to see this type of thing happen in that area of Durham. People like to dismiss it, but that is the reason why the crime in Durham is getting worse. People need to get their heads out of the sand and address it.

The article originally did not state that he shot himself. That was added in an update. The article still does say:

"Officers responded to a call in reference to someone driving through the parking lot firing shots at about 3:28 p.m."

Obviously something else is going on with this case. Why would this guy drive around shooting out the window and then shoot himself and then not have his car?
Just when I thought you were starting to post some good things, you come out with something like this

Old 11-17-2008, 04:00 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
People like to dismiss it, but that is the reason why the crime in Durham is getting worse. People need to get their heads out of the sand and address it.
Exit MA Now:

Do you have data to back up this assertion? Actually, the crime rates in Durham are significantly lower than they were a decade ago. Per-capita, Durham ranks third-best in the state in terms of violent crime. After Raleigh and Cary, yes, but ahead of Greensboro, W-S, Charlotte, Fayetteville, Wilmington.

Would you suggest that people shouldn't live in those cities?

Or perhaps you'd like to take a look at national data? Where Durham has less violent crime than Salt Lake City; Dayton, Ohio; St. Paul, Minn.; Tacoma, Wash.; Tallahassee, Fla.; Grand Rapids; and Rochester, N.Y.?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what your argument was again? If it's that crime is higher in Durham than in Raleigh and Cary: yes, I agree with you. If it's that crime is "dangerously high" in Durham: then, no, barring some data you have to offer, I can't agree.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Just when I thought you were starting to post some good things, you come out with something like this

It's not a knock on Durham, but an observation about how sometimes people just don't want to face reality. I have read some articles on Durham and their approach to crime. At one point they were really focusing on gang activity and the crime rate dropped. Then they let up some and the crime rate went up. We can never let our guard down. We must be proactive. I think the fine Durham police officers need to be making much more money than they are and a real focus be put back on the crime issue. Recent reports I have seen on the news show how hard it has been for Durham to get new officers. The pay is lower than surrounding towns where officers don't have to deal with some of the same issues. More police visibility would be very helpful.

I don't think this shooting is going to help the holiday shopping there. No, it probably won't happen again this year, but it will make some people think twice about going there.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM

100 posts, read 243,025 times
Quote:

Fact: Somewhere between 1-4% (and growing it seems) of society are sociopaths...

Old 11-17-2008, 04:09 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Quote:
It's not a knock on Durham, but an observation about how sometimes people just don't want to face reality. I have read some articles on Durham and their approach to crime. At one point they were really focusing on gang activity and the crime rate dropped. Then they let up some and the crime rate went up. We can never let our guard down. We must be proactive. I think the fine Durham police officers need to be making much more money than they are and a real focus be put back on the crime issue.

I don't think this shooting is going to help the holiday shopping there. No, it probably won't happen again this year, but it will make some people think twice about going there.
The problem is, it is not a shooting, some poor soul decided to end their life. No one was driving around shooting in the parking lot, it was simply reported that someone was. By posting the things that you are posting, it simply makes the paranoid people more paranoid.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Recent reports I have seen on the news show how hard it has been for Durham to get new officers. The pay is lower than surrounding towns where officers don't have to deal with some of the same issues. More police visibility would be very helpful.
Actually, Durham just raised its starting pay from $33,000/year to $37,000 per year (post academy graduation) to be on par with Raleigh.

The big problem that we have now is that the tough tax/budget situation made it hard to give a similar raise to officers 1-2 steps above rookie level.

Does that make more sense?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Exit MA Now:

Do you have data to back up this assertion? Actually, the crime rates in Durham are significantly lower than they were a decade ago. Per-capita, Durham ranks third-best in the state in terms of violent crime. After Raleigh and Cary, yes, but ahead of Greensboro, W-S, Charlotte, Fayetteville, Wilmington.

Would you suggest that people shouldn't live in those cities?

Or perhaps you'd like to take a look at national data? Where Durham has less violent crime than Salt Lake City; Dayton, Ohio; St. Paul, Minn.; Tacoma, Wash.; Tallahassee, Fla.; Grand Rapids; and Rochester, N.Y.?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what your argument was again? If it's that crime is higher in Durham than in Raleigh and Cary: yes, I agree with you. If it's that crime is "dangerously high" in Durham: then, no, barring some data you have to offer, I can't agree.
I come from a town where the biggest crimes we had to deal with was some kid stealing pumpkins from your front porch. Any amount of crime like Durham has is a shocker to me. It is an adjustment. Given that surrounding towns have less crime, as you noted, and have a more comfortable feel, then I would choose to live outside Durham. Others that are more used to some issues probably would not have as many concerns. I do like to frequent the Southpoint area, so issues like this have me concerned.

It is simply a comfort level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary