Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:56 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,459,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Doesn't mean a thing. The year we had snow in January/Febuary it was 60 degrees in Decemeber.

The weather patterns just aren't like they are in the North...you can't predict a bad winter from a few cold days.
I agree that this is pretty normal.That's why we (natives) are when people are like "You don't need clothes to keep warm. It's warm all year!" It does get cold in NC it just doesn't stay cold like other areas of the country. We have mild temps followed by a cold snap, followed by another streak of milder weather. Repeat

Last edited by NCgirl; 11-18-2008 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,735,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Doesn't mean a thing. The year we had snow in January/Febuary it was 60 degrees in Decemeber.

The weather patterns just aren't like they are in the North...you can't predict a bad winter from a few cold days.
You can't predict a bad winter from a few cold days ANYWHERE. It's not a north thing. In Boston last year, we had a ton of snow in December, but very little thereafter. The year before, we had almost nothing until February, but ended up with one of the bigger snowfall totals in history.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:10 PM

945 posts, read 1,973,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
In Boston last year, we had a ton of snow in December, but very little thereafter. The year before, we had almost nothing until February, but ended up with one of the bigger snowfall totals in history.

Yes. That's what I said.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,924,781 times
Must be all that.....global warming

Yes, indeed, even this old Northern boy admits it's quite nippy out there! I might actually have to finally pull out a long sleeve shirt or two.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,735,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post

Yes, indeed, even this old Northern boy admits it's quite nippy out there! I might actually have to finally pull out a long sleeve shirt or two.
I can't find my gloves! I found the kids', thankfully, but I have no idea where mine are. I wasn't so silly as to think I wouldn't need them at all, but I didn't think I'd need them now. It's false advertising, I tell you!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times
Take the kids gloves and let them use socks (clean ones of course)! lol. If they are the stretchy ones they will fit! I did this when I went to go clear off the mountain of snow off my car when we got that 2 footer in January 2000. My wife wasn't too happy about that and insisted that I give my son back his gloves...and have him clean off the snow from the car instead haha. (he was 11 at the time before you accuse us of child abuse!). Decided we couldn't use the garage as storage any more after that.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM

920 posts, read 2,815,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post

It may be 39 degrees out, but I find it less uncomfortable than 50 degrees in the Pacific Northwest. That's a damp chill that gets in my bones and takes forever to leave. This cold numbs my face and ears, but it doesn't infiltrate.

YMMV, of course.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,275,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
I can't find my gloves! I found the kids', thankfully, but I have no idea where mine are. I wasn't so silly as to think I wouldn't need them at all, but I didn't think I'd need them now. It's false advertising, I tell you!
Gloves? I USED to have a pair. By the time I find them, the weather will have warmed up!

This is why we enjoy our NC weather...if you don't like the weather today, wait 15 minutes...it is sure to change!!!

Snow is just a GOD given HOLIDAY to us in NC!

Vicki

Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,022,290 times
24 hour summary at KRDU - http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KRDU.html

Old 11-19-2008, 09:08 AM

87 posts, read 304,486 times
When I lived in NC, I needed gloves often. Then again, this was also during the infamous '99-'00 winter which featured the 24" snowstorm in January, as well as 3-4 other winter storms that same month. I am pretty sure the ground was covered with snow more often than not that January, which was pretty crazy to experience so far south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary