Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

My 15 year old daughter is trying to convince me that she and friend should be allowed to go to The Lincoln Theatre on Cabarras Street in Raleigh to see a concert.

Thus far, I am not feeling good about this for a few reasons...

The Lincoln Theatre seems to be a small club like venue, she is 15 but it is for all age groups.

The Lincoln Theatre allows some smoking in area and it appears that the over 21 group will be drinking.

The group that she wants to see is called "Hollywood Undead". I just listenend to one of their "rap" "songs"? I wasn't impressed with their vocabulary...the "b" word, the "f" word and others!!!

So...has anyone been? What is your opinion? Appropriate for a 15 year old?

Help!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
go with her!

I've been to the Lincoln--it's a cool club, but I don't think I'd be comfortable letting my imaginary 15-year-old daughter go.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Dh and I have been to see a few shows there and believe me, I FEEL YOUR PAIN. My 14 year old has been asking me to let her go both to the Lincoln Theater and the Brewery to see "all ages" shows. So far I have not let her. I *might* let her go if I went too, but um...I'm thinking she's not liking that too much. I really wish these places wouldn't serve alcohol during the all ages shows, which are generally earlier in the evening than the headliner shows.
Anyway, you are right, there is alcohol allowed and smoking is allowed too in a certain area. I'm not crazy about the idea of young teens hanging out in a "bar" with older groups who are drinking and smoking. The place itself is really not bad, but I'm just not ready to let my kids hang out at places like that yet. I truly wish there WAS a small local place for kids this age to go and enjoy music and see concerts in a safe setting.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:55 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Swami Skaternum predicts trouble if you let her go.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 AM

IF I get past the "club" idea...I still have to deal with the "artist" stuff. I'm not a big fan of bands that seem to use the "b" word and the "f" word and call it music!!!

Vicki

Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Well, just my two cents!!!

You have one of two options: either let her go to the club, making sure you drop her off and pick her up at the door. Only problem is, if something happens while IN the club, she's pretty much stuck.

The other option is to just go with. Get there early, and find a place for YOU to sit. She can hang out in front of the stage. Just make sure she knows where you are sitting just in in case.

As far as the language, its music. She's old enough to know what those words are and what they mean. I'm sure she hears it in everyday language (tv, radio, etc). If she has already heard the music, she's already heard of the language. I dont know the band so I really cant give my two cents on it.

Otherwise, the Lincoln theatre is really nice. Just trust me when I say get there early to find a seat for yourself.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:05 AM

246 posts, read 626,955 times
Lincoln Theatre is a great little venue. I went there to see Derek Webb a couple months ago. I don't know how comfortable I'd feel letting a 15-year-old going but I think with adult supervision it'd be alright. Or if you'll be there to drop off and pick up.

..... and I wouldn't allow her to go just based on how bad Hollywood Undead's music is.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
A friend of mine owns the Lincoln, it is definitely a cool place..........would I let my 15 year old go alone? Probably not. when I was 15 would I have wanted to go alone, yes yes yes!!! I would just worry about the people who will be there and drinking. Is there someone else who could go and "chaperone" if you don't want to go?

Good luck with that one Vicki!

Leigh

Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Well, just my two cents!!!

You have one of two options: either let her go to the club, making sure you drop her off and pick her up at the door. Only problem is, if something happens while IN the club, she's pretty much stuck.

The other option is to just go with. Get there early, and find a place for YOU to sit. She can hang out in front of the stage. Just make sure she knows where you are sitting just in in case.

As far as the language, its music. She's old enough to know what those words are and what they mean. I'm sure she hears it in everyday language (tv, radio, etc). If she has already heard the music, she's already heard of the language. I dont know the band so I really cant give my two cents on it.

Otherwise, the Lincoln theatre is really nice. Just trust me when I say get there early to find a seat for yourself.
The funny thing is that when my other kids were younger, if I heard any of their "music" that used the profanity, they knew I'd break the CD with my bare hands! And I did...on a few occasions when they wouldnt' turn the music down.

However, my daughter listen to her IPOD and I know she has heard the words and I know she likes rap but if I allow her to go, I feel that I'm condoning the words and the attitude and I have having a hard time with that!

At this time, I don't like teenagers anymore!

Vicki

Old 11-24-2008, 12:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
At this time, I don't like teenagers anymore!

Vicki
LOL, again, I feel your pain! It's a ROUGH time for both the teens and the parents! When I was a teen I swore I'd be a "cool mom"...what happened?

I agree with you and everyone else. No going alone to clubs that serve alcohol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary