Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyL View Post
2010 and 11 is what busing in or ?
Not sure I understand your question?

Are you asking what year the bussing begins? If so, its the 2010-11 school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 12:18 AM

14 posts, read 24,555 times
Again its what matters to you more.

WF may be closer to where someone would work in raleigh but parts of raleigh are closer to Clayton. Clayton has a more rual feel to it and a "Small town" The school district is WAYYYYYYYYYYY better in Johnston county. Clayton High School is a great school They have a Nationally competetive Marching Band that is Very well known to the state They are on average in the top 2-4 high school marching bands in the state and on average the top 57th in America, the high school carries some of the highest SATs in the state and nation, Great sports porgrams, Many Many Many extracarriuclar activities, a great Allied health science program, and even classes offered by the local community college they can take at the school and recieve college credit. You have everything you need close by, Drug stores, Fast food (Taco bell, mcdonals, burger king, 2 wendys, zaxbys, 2 subways, wal mart 3 grocery stores, and many many many other stores, then the closest mall is 17 mins from where I live and during rush hour it is 25. Although WF is a little closer to shopping malls you dont get as good of schools, traffic is worse, and housing is a little more expensive as well as tax rates, but again it depends on your personal preference and where you work ect.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:15 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
My daughter (who is in elementary school) attended two schools in Clayton. What really sold me on their schools was the award ceremonies. When I saw that with each class that 98% of the students went to the stage to get an award for "honor roll" or "principal's list" or even "most improved student", I knew we made an excellent choice in moving to Johnston county.

We moved here from Wake county and although we did like the schools, we were more impressed with the ones in JC.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:24 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
What really sold me on their schools was the award ceremonies. When I saw that with each class that 98% of the students went to the stage to get an award for "honor roll" or "principal's list" or even "most improved student", I knew we made an excellent choice in moving to Johnston county.
What about the 2% that are left out? They must really feel like crap. It's a serious question, I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just interested in the current "feel good" school systems we have in America (they're everywhere).

Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
I am no help on Clayton other than to say I pass through there in route to the Outlets at Smithfield and it look like a nice place.

I can add input on Wake Forest. Nice small town. Twin Creeks is a nice community. Looked at it when we were shopping around for living quarters. Decided against it as it was to tucked away from things. If you are coming from a smaller town Wake Forest maybe the place. If your coming from a bigger town with lots to do it may not be. Building has slowed down a lot in the last 2 years, commercial building has gone on unabated the past 2 years but that also is slowing down.

Lot of Health-care job opportunities but I would say that most commute outside of Wake Forest for employment. Good access to major area roads such as Rt. 1 (N-S), rt 540 (E-W) and then on Rt 40 (E-W). Traffic is a relative thing as to what you are use to. Rush hour traffic is rush hour traffic albeit in San Diego or Cary.

My personal opinion is Wake Forest is no better or worse than other smaller town in the area like Apex or Hollye Springs.

School all belong to the Wake County Public School System so class sizes, curriculum, over/under crowding about the same as anywhere in the WCPSS.

But IMO Wake Forest is certainly worth a look see or see look, which ever you prefer. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
What about the 2% that are left out? They must really feel like crap. It's a serious question, I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just interested in the current "feel good" school systems we have in America (they're everywhere).
I think the younger grades, all students get something. I know with the fourth & fifth graders, they get an overall class award (music, science, etc) and the teacher will pick a child who did not receive an award to go up front and get it. I have seen three or four full classes where every student got an award for good grades. I was still impressed.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:53 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
My daughter (who is in elementary school) attended two schools in Clayton. What really sold me on their schools was the award ceremonies. When I saw that with each class that 98% of the students went to the stage to get an award for "honor roll" or "principal's list" or even "most improved student", I knew we made an excellent choice in moving to Johnston county.

We moved here from Wake county and although we did like the schools, we were more impressed with the ones in JC.
98% of the students in any school are not above average....talk about all ceremony and no substance.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 AM

44 posts, read 137,792 times
No - by definition, 50% of students are "above average."The top 2% of students are actually 2 standard deviations above the mean.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 AM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
can't say a word about clayton, but we love wake forest. We first lived in an apt until we chose our spot and we were dead center to everything (which was awesome!), but we were also under the airplanes constantly. We love it here - lots of shopping, plenty of great docs, lots to do, and close enough that if it doesn't float your boat you can get in the car and drive easily. Just plan your trips well and know the "back" ways around crapital blvd.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:45 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britawater08 View Post
Again its what matters to you more.

WF may be closer to where someone would work in raleigh but parts of raleigh are closer to Clayton. Clayton has a more rual feel to it and a "Small town" The school district is WAYYYYYYYYYYY better in Johnston county. Clayton High School is a great school They have a Nationally competetive Marching Band that is Very well known to the state They are on average in the top 2-4 high school marching bands in the state and on average the top 57th in America, the high school carries some of the highest SATs in the state and nation, Great sports porgrams, Many Many Many extracarriuclar activities, a great Allied health science program, and even classes offered by the local community college they can take at the school and recieve college credit. You have everything you need close by, Drug stores, Fast food (Taco bell, mcdonals, burger king, 2 wendys, zaxbys, 2 subways, wal mart 3 grocery stores, and many many many other stores, then the closest mall is 17 mins from where I live and during rush hour it is 25. Although WF is a little closer to shopping malls you dont get as good of schools, traffic is worse, and housing is a little more expensive as well as tax rates, but again it depends on your personal preference and where you work ect.
I think its impossible to make blanket statements about a particular school in a particular area.
What makes a good school?
Is it a function of the students - the teachers - the parents - location of the school?? Is it really all about socioeconomics??

Remember : Wake County writes the curriculum and the teachers follow it. Everything is about goals and standards.. be it in Cary, Wake Forest, Raleigh, Knightdale, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary