Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

I venture that Pharma/medical will take a long-deserved hit by price controls on drugs, more switching to generics like the $4.00 Walmart list, and possible national health coverage.

At that time, the area will revert to its former lower middle class status, and many McMansions will bear "for sale - bank owned" signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 02:27 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I venture that Pharma/medical will take a long-deserved hit by price controls on drugs, more switching to generics like the $4.00 Walmart list, and possible national health coverage.

At that time, the area will revert to its former lower middle class status, and many McMansions will bear "for sale - bank owned" signs.
That will be awesome. I can't wait until the drug companies stop doing research on new drugs because they don't have money for R&D. Surprised you didn't mention Michael Moore in this post.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
That will be awesome. I can't wait until the drug companies stop doing research on new drugs because they don't have money for R&D. Surprised you didn't mention Michael Moore in this post.
The new drugs seem to be more lucrative lifestyle type drugs, not those that save lives.

By marketing to patients, Pharma gets people running to the doctor demanding the most recent and ridiculously priced brand name drugs. my doctor simply hates this since so many new drugs are no real improvement and many wind up recalled thanks to our useless FDA.

I'm so sick of seeing the numerous ads for erectile disfunction as if this were the major bane of humanity.

Pharma is out of control. Now, I'm not a Walmart fan, but it took the power of walmart to get prices down on drugs. Patients can bring the list to their doctor to see if a tried and proven safe drug can replace a touted, overpriced name brand medication.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:

such optimism! I can hardly contain my excitement.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:09 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
The new drugs seem to be more lucrative lifestyle type drugs, not those that save lives.

By marketing to patients, Pharma gets people running to the doctor demanding the most recent and ridiculously priced brand name drugs. my doctor simply hates this since so many new drugs are no real improvement and many wind up recalled thanks to our useless FDA.

I'm so sick of seeing the numerous ads for erectile disfunction as if this were the major bane of humanity.

Pharma is out of control. Now, I'm not a Walmart fan, but it took the power of walmart to get prices down on drugs. Patients can bring the list to their doctor to see if a tried and proven safe drug can replace a touted, overpriced name brand medication.
I partially agree. I think direct to consumer advertising is pretty insane. I can't tell you how much money the drug companies spend in magazines targeting 20 year old women trying to get them to ask their MD for a specific brand of birth control when the reality is there are really almost no difference between a lot of the newer pills. And, I agree about the E.D. adds. The world would be a far better place if those would stop.

The drug companies are profit maximizers (they have that responsibility to their shareholders just like any other publicly held company) and they do seem to spend a lot of time and money on lifestyle drugs or drugs that are minor improvements over existing drugs instead of breakthrough treatments. I do believe, though that it will only get worse when the government gets heavily involved. Canada has cheaper drugs because they're free riding off of our R&D. What happens when our R&D is cut substantially? The hope for any great breakthroughs is pretty small.

As far as my predictions for 2009--I think the Triangle will do better than the US economy as a whole but will not be spared from the mess we find ourselves in. I'd rather be in D.C than Raleigh, but I'd also rather be in Raleigh than Detroit.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
If I lost my job here I honestly don't know where I could work since there aren't THAT many companies.

I guess it depends on where you came from. To me, I am amazed at how many different companies there are here and I feel much more comfortable being here if I end up out of work, as I feel confident I will pick something up within a few months. No one in my family had any Pharma experience when we moved here and we all found jobs fairly easily. I know that things will be tighter next year, but they would also be tighter back home, so apples to apples tells me I am much better off here.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:33 PM

18,045 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Well when I moved here in 2002 I had 20 years of experience working as a Product Manager and Project Manager with different tech companies, across a few different industries. Zero science background. BS in Business and an MBA (acquired part-time at night while I worked full time years ago). And I could not get a single interview at any pharma-related company. Even for their project management jobs they wanted science backgrounds. So that's what I personally experienced during a 3 yr period after moving here. Maybe it comes down to who you know....and I knew no one here as I had lived in Silicon Valley for 20 years.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 PM

I had zero experience in Pharma and I do not even have a degree. I knew no one down here at all. I landed a job with a Pharma company based on other related experience for the position that I applied for. Then again, I am not making 6 figures.....not even if I combine 2 years worth of salary. However, it does pay more than the last job I had in the Northeast. But I am thrilled with my job and my coworkers. Happiness is much more important to me than money.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
In 2009, given the continuing growth of Cary, residents of that town will petition to have the name of this area changed to the "Research Quadrilateral". After their plan is rejected by the remainder of the community, Cary will attempt to secede from the United States and impose stringent border controls. There will be blood shed before it ends.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
In 2009, given the continuing growth of Cary, residents of that town will petition to have the name of this area changed to the "Research Quadrilateral". After their plan is rejected by the remainder of the community, Cary will attempt to secede from the United States and impose stringent border controls. There will be blood shed before it ends.

Thanks for making me pee my pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary