Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I know you like to misquote and misinterprate what I say a lot...but in the 13 years I lived in NC (if you want to get into who has lived there longer)...

A. I meant for LOWS; the LOWS in Raleigh are typically below or around freezing from December through mid march

B. The past 6 years there have NOT been reminiscent of a typical NC winter OR what winter can really bring. 9 years ago next month, 2 feet of snow fell overnight. Typically you get at least one or two 3+ inches of snow a winter; since the mid 2000's this has slowed. Say its global warming and is now the new "typical" pattern if you want.

C. You seem just a little too defensive of something as silly as whether or not the temperature gets below freezing or it snows in Raleigh; have some eggnog and enjoy the holiday season. It looks like for forecast for Christmas day there is in the 60's.
Nope....

Average Lows for March in Raleigh 40 degrees....which is not at or around freezing. Also with average Highs in the 60's makes for pretty nice spring weather in March...unlike the Northeast

Average Weather for Raleigh, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

The 22 inch snowfall 9 years was obviously atypical, so not sure what bearing that has on the "average" annual snowfall

Typically there is NOT 1-2 3+ inche snowfalls per winter, over the past 49 years the Raleigh area hasn't even averaged 3 inches in a single month....

National - Average Snowfall (http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/normsnow.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
yes...the AVERAGE for the whole month, is 40...meaning most likely since March is a transitional weather month; the first half would typically have low temperatures below 40 degrees (which would be in the 30s and what I would consider close enough to freezing to be "cold" in the morning) and the second half of March would see lows ABOVE 40 degrees. I said it is still cold in the morning until Mid March...I'm still not seeing where you are proving me wrong. I really don't care though because it is a ridiculous thing to argue about. The weather is what it is...I don't try to make it seem like Raleigh is a frozen tundra for 6 months out of the year or anything like that; just saying that the temperature DOES get below freezing every winter, and that snow USUALLY falls most winters. I.E...If a person from a colder area thinks they are "escaping" freezing temperatures for good by moving to NC they would be incorrect.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Typically there is NOT 1-2 3+ inche snowfalls per winter, over the past 49 years the Raleigh area hasn't even averaged 3 inches in a single month....

National - Average Snowfall (http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/normsnow.html - broken link)
Your link indicates through 1993 Raleigh averaged 7" of snow a year. Isn't that consistent with the statement that raleigh used to get 1-2 3+inch snowfalls (or at least 1-2 2+ inch snowfalls)?

Needless to say, there's typically a sleddable (by southern standards) snowfall each year.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Your link indicates through 1993 Raleigh averaged 7" of snow a year. Isn't that consistent with the statement that raleigh used to get 1-2 3+inch snowfalls (or at least 1-2 2+ inch snowfalls)?

Needless to say, there's typically a sleddable (by southern standards) snowfall each year.

Not at all, it could be,,, but more likely scenario would be several "dustings" throughout the month that would total 2 inches....

Old 12-23-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
yes...the AVERAGE for the whole month, is 40...meaning most likely since March is a transitional weather month; the first half would typically have low temperatures below 40 degrees (which would be in the 30s and what I would consider close enough to freezing to be "cold" in the morning) and the second half of March would see lows ABOVE 40 degrees. I said it is still cold in the morning until Mid March...I'm still not seeing where you are proving me wrong. I really don't care though because it is a ridiculous thing to argue about. The weather is what it is...I don't try to make it seem like Raleigh is a frozen tundra for 6 months out of the year or anything like that; just saying that the temperature DOES get below freezing every winter, and that snow USUALLY falls most winters. I.E...If a person from a colder area thinks they are "escaping" freezing temperatures for good by moving to NC they would be incorrect.

I don't think anyone moves here from the North to escape freezing temperatures all together.

However there is no denying that it is much more temperate here than New York/New England. In 6 years my parka has never left the closet and my snowshovel has never left the wall of my garage.

I never need more than a fleece jacket and unlike the NE where it will often be 20 in the morning 20 at noon and 20 at night, if its 20 in the morning here it will usually be 40 or warmer in the afternoon even in January/February.

Not to mention that the winters are significantly shorter here than up North...

Old 12-23-2008, 03:08 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,768 times
Quote:
Not at all, it could be,,, but more likely scenario would be several "dustings" throughout the month that would total 2 inches....

This chart shows an average of 7.5 inches of snow each year in Raleigh:

Snowfall - Average Total In Inches

This chart shows an average of 7 inches of snow each year in Raleigh:

WashingtonPost.com: WeatherPost -- Raleigh, N.C. Historical Weather

and

Old 12-23-2008, 03:10 PM

I do have to say though, that in my 3 plus years here I have yet to wear a heavy winter coat, hat or gloves. That is quite different than back north.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
This chart shows an average of 7.5 inches of snow each year in Raleigh:

Snowfall - Average Total In Inches

WashingtonPost.com: WeatherPost -- Raleigh, N.C. Historical Weather

and

I already posted a similar chart....and your point is??

Do you understand the term "average" or do you assume that 7 inches over pretty much just the 3 months of December, January and February must equal 1-2 snowfalls of 3 inches or more....because thats not what it means

Old 12-23-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I already posted a similar chart....and your point is??

Do you understand the term "average" or do you assume that 7 inches over pretty much just the 3 months of December, January and February must equal 1-2 snowfalls of 3 inches or more....because thats not what it means

Just providing links for you to check, as you already forgot what you posted:

Quote:
Typically there is NOT 1-2 3+ inche snowfalls per winter

I don't think we dust ourselves up to 7 inches. I think the norm would be a big walloping every few/several years, with some 1 or 2 inchers every now and then. I am sure there are some dustings here and there, but probably not what makes up the average.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 12-23-2008 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 04:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone moves here from the North to escape freezing temperatures all together.

However there is no denying that it is much more temperate here than New York/New England. In 6 years my parka has never left the closet and my snowshovel has never left the wall of my garage.

I never need more than a fleece jacket and unlike the NE where it will often be 20 in the morning 20 at noon and 20 at night, if its 20 in the morning here it will usually be 40 or warmer in the afternoon even in January/February.

Not to mention that the winters are significantly shorter here than up North...
hmmm...perhaps you should look at the first post in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary