Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:03 PM

58 posts, read 202,203 times

Advertisements

We're in a depression situation where we might need a hospital to keep safe.

Does anyone have any experience, or heard anything, as to which is a better place - or what either of these hospitals are like?

Where we moved from, there were also two hospitals - but one had a reputation of not being a very caring environment, where the other we did go to was quite good.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,217 times
Keep in mind Duke... They have a psych department as well. I can't make a recommendation one way or the other, though, just throwing another option out there.

Good luck. Depression is all too familiar to my family, so I have an idea what you're going through.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:51 PM

106 posts, read 319,462 times
I'd be interested to hear what folks say. Our health ins. sends folks to Holly Hill...

Old 01-06-2009, 07:59 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
I asked a good friend who has been treated in-patient for depression at both. He said he preferred UNC. He got the feeling that Holly Hill was really in it for the money.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Oh Lord, my very limited experience with Holly Hill is that it's a frightening, clinical (in a horror movie kind of way), prison-like atmosphere. I would not send anyone there if I could avoid it.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:59 AM

426 posts, read 1,455,751 times
Neither Holly Hill nor UNC will actually treat the depression. Chances are the stay will be a few days for you to stabilize on some new meds and be able to contract for safety while they find an outpatient therapist for you to be referred to. I've worked* with the Duke psych unit and they're competent and it's not "scary" like it might be other places. I can't speak to UNC or Holly Hill (though the contact I've had with HH hasn't left me impressed).

* I'm a psychologist who gets referrals from all 3 hospitals. I've actually been the psychology consult on the Duke unit so I have more experience with them.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
Neither Holly Hill nor UNC will actually treat the depression. Chances are the stay will be a few days for you to stabilize on some new meds and be able to contract for safety while they find an outpatient therapist for you to be referred to.
Correct. They'll pretty much keep you in for as long as your insurance pays for in-patient treatment. Since anti-depressants can take a long time before they kick in, it's not practical for a patient to be hospitalized that long.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 AM

355 posts, read 958,037 times
I don't work in the field of clinical psychology, but I have had enough coursework in related areas that would guide me towards whoever would have a solid grounding in scientifically, research based practice and treatment methods. I would imagine that UNC would fit the bill and would be on the forefront of both research and practice. Best of luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 AM

119 posts, read 354,901 times
I had a family member at UNC for awhile and I found it to be a very competent, professional, and clean place. I've heard horror stories about Holly Hills though. I think UNC and Duke are pretty much the top hospitals in this area.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
I agree! DO NOT GO TO UNC!!! <snip> They have been known to only keep patients as long as insurance will pay.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Just to be clear, I did not make the quoted statement exclusively about UNC. It was made as a generality. Pretty much EVERY hospital does that -- hardly exclusive to UNC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary