Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Raleigh Durham North Carolina, Triangle area relocation, ideal location, access to shopping and restaurants, good neighborhoods, Cary area, cosmopolitan feel, racism in New England

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times

Advertisements

You use too much common sense. I couldn't have said what you said in your last two posts any better. Rep points for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
If you read the thread it stated they had already planned a move here already with a date. Which is crazy.....
NC man, cut the OP some slack. He came on here looking for information and clearly stated that he and his wife to be "are planning to move in September 09 ...." I am willing to give them the benefit of the dobt that part of their "planning" will involve researching the area and finding jobs before making the move. Hence the use of the word "plan". Nobody stated that they were just going to wake up one day and move here on a whim with just the shirts on their back. I agree it is good to give people the good and the bad when looking for info, but keep in mind none of us have the full picture of the OPs situation and we shouldn't assume everyone is making the mistakes you lay out. Just some food for thought.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
My fiance and I are both 25, currently we live in Massachusetts but are planning to move in September 09 two months after we get married.
Already PLANNING to move here, yet you don't even know if you will like the area? My, that's risky.

Quote:
After a lot of thought we have come up with Raleigh as "ideal" location because we want to be within a days driving distance of family in Mass
I can't imagine who told you it's "a day's drive" between the two places. Not any sort of day I'd want to experience, anyway. Even western Mass is probably 13 hours or so; if you're near Boston, ugh.

Quote:
This is not my personal opinion but after reading some of these post some people seem to think that the area is stuck in the past or something, is there any truth to this? I am trying to weed out the negative post that don't have much credibility.
A lot of people from the North have a belief that everything south of DC is hicksville, somewhere between Mayberry, RFD and the Beverly Hillbillies. For some reason, the same so-called "enlightened" people who would have a coronary if they heard a racist, sexist, homophobic, or anti-Semitic slur have no problem painting anyone from anywhere in the South as a bunch of uneducated rubes who have never read a book besides the Bible.

That's a horribly (and offensively) false statement for MOST of the South, but especially untrue for the Triangle area of NC! This is perhaps the most progressive metro area in the South besides maybe Austin, TX. Yes, there are conservative people here, yes, church plays a big role in many people's lives (but that doesn't mean "Fire and Brimstone" church, either; most churches here are quite moderate and plenty are outright liberal), yes there is racism and homophobia and whatever other "ism" to be found in the Triangle--but can you name ONE Metro area of the country that does NOT have any of that?

NC was a Blue state in the past election, and among the "Bluest" areas is the Triangle. Three very good universities and the "Silicon Vallety of the South" make this a very educated, open-minded area. There are a lot of transplants here, to be sure, but that doesn't mean for a moment that native Southerners can't also be smart and open-minded--we have plenty of "Julia Sugarbakers" here of both genders

But, it's not wise to take the word of "whoever happened to respond to posts on a topic" as gospel, particularly when making judgments against the populace of a whole metro area. Come visit (plan more than a day for the drive, though!) and see for yourself. BEFORE you finalize plans to move here. You might find it beyond your wildest dreams--great! Or, you might realize that it isn't wuite what you read it was, and that you might be better pointing your compass elsewhere.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 PM

119 posts, read 354,786 times
You're going to move here 2 months after you get married with no job? Wow, good luck with that one.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:45 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhoulihan View Post
"Nah, it's pretty cosmopolitan down here. This is not the old south by any stretch."

That's what I was looking for. I am trying to balance what I read in forums because I see some varying opinions about the area. Most of the negative post I read I don't take seriously though because of the bad nature in which they are written.

I'm looking at the Cary area or just North of it because from what I have researched it looks like a nice area with a bit of cosmopolitan touch. Is this correct?

Thanks for your opinion.

I will try to respond to all of your posts in this one. I totally understand your thought pattern on ignoring negative posts. While I am in favor of listening to the pros and cons of every situation, I think you need to discount posts that throw a negative blanket over everything. Unfortunately there are agendas on a forum. There are some people that have been here a long time and simply don't like the transformation that has taken place. They have every right to feel that way, if they choose to. Unfortunately some people will try to deter others from coming here by trying to cast an inaccurate picture of the area. The same goes for transplants that would like to shut the door behind them. It sometimes can go to far. I have actually been threatened for being so pro Triangle. Not in the real world, but in the forum world. Some people just don't want anyone else to move here. So I suggest you pick and choose the information you may read.

Now here is my 4 cents having been in your shoes. We relocated here from MA. We bought without visiting the area first. We were not led here by publications or any chamber of commerce. We never were on any forum prior to moving here. We were not brainwashed. We knew we wanted this area of the country due to the great weather. We did research to find areas that were more modern, were affordable and had jobs. We discovered RTP and knew this was the area for us. Many times when you tell people you live in MA, they assume Boston. We lived no where near Boston. Our area of MA had no jobs, everything was falling apart and there was no future for us there. We sold and moved here without jobs. We decided to start over here. It was the best move we ever made. This area is doing great when you compare it to the country as a whole. The housing market has slowed quite a bit, but there is no mass depreciation happening. Other than slower development, we do not notice any difference in things now, as compared to a few years ago. Keep in mind that everything is relative. Some would like to convince you that we are falling off the edge of the planet. That would be an outright lie. Things are still holding up well here. When you look at the big picture, on a scale of 1 to 10, the Triangle may end up having a pain index of 3 while the rest of the country is a 10. If where you are at is in major trouble, it would only make sense to move somewhere that is not feeling that kind of pain. It's silly when people say don't move here because things will be slowing down. What do they think is happening where you are coming from? They act like everywhere else is booming and we are dying. It's ridiculous.

Outside of the realtors here, I am probably the most educated on the area as a whole. Based on what you have stated you would like, I can recommend Cary, North Raleigh and Southwest Durham. We have found these areas to be the best in the Triangle. Cary is by far the best for us. You will hear all kinds of false stereotypes about Cary. These statements usually come from people that not only have never lived there, but don't spend any time there. Cary is incredibly beautiful and clean. It is not all beige and cookie cutter as some would like people to think. It has homes of all shapes, sizes and colors. It has what I consider the best location in the Triangle. I live in NW Cary and have no issues with traffic and have an easy & short trip to work in RTP. I have everything I could need right in my own town and many things right in my own neighborhood. There is so much to do, I could never get bored. There are parks everywhere in Cary, plenty of shopping and places to eat. There is an art and music scene and Raleigh is right next door if you want more. Great schools on top of all that. We have the lowest tax rate of any town in Wake County. It is extremely affordable to live here. I cannot believe the amount of employers in the local area. So much choice. This is simple the best place we could have picked to live. I hope you find it as great as we do.

Add on - We drive back and forth to MA in one day all the time. It's 12 hours. No biggie. Sometimes we fly and mostly have driven. We also drive to Florida in 10 hours.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 01-09-2009 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Added drive time.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 PM

15 posts, read 31,773 times
Quote:
I have to say the biggest concern I have is when some one posts that they are wanting to move here and dont no anything about this place. The fact that people would even consider a real move from heresay and blog sites from people whom may or may not have an agenda. I will tell you from experience growing up in all parts of NC this state has always been a good place to live and raise a family, has every thing any place up north or out west has or had. Some had called it the best kept secret, some think its chickens cows pigs and rednecks. I have seen more of that in upstate new york then here. The problem has been the mass movement of translants over the last couple of years. the area has really changed from what it was and not always for the better. Transplants read blogs of this fairy tail city with cheap home and jobs every where. The fact is the jobs are not here and this whole thing is now snow balling. people from all over the country looking for the better life using up what equity they had left from selling over priced homes and now cant find these famed jobs and cheap life. This is the tip of the iceburg for this area and the real condition of this growth spurt will show its true effect very soon, unfortunatly. People must adjust the behavior of the old days, sport moving will be a thing of the past and moving for survival will be the future, that said with all the outsiders that have already flocked here it will be very hard for the area to come out of this in a good condition. My advice find a job and let that determine whether you need to move away from your comfort zone ,not by what you assume is where the grass is greener, cuss its not. And research research research, feel out the area know the costs and different cultures that could effect your life, and dont use the blogs to make your choice. travel and spend the time or you could truly regret it. You can take this as a negative post if you wish or just a beam of common sense to think things out the right way. 39,000 people moved here last year, so what do I care if you move here. Just hate to see people make life changing moves with out having the real knowledge.. Good luck to you.
I am not taking blogs and forums as my only source of information, it is simply part of the whole moving process. A quick job search for where I live now and Raleigh will tell you that the grass is a bit greener in NC. I've been laid off 3 strait years so it can't get too much worse for me (well maybe it can with this sketchy year coming up ). I'm not saying I think Raleigh is "the promised land" based off what people say online. I will be visiting Raleigh soon to form my own opinions. I've been wanting to move for a few years and always had Raleigh on my list of several places to research. I'll have to see how my visit goes.
Thanks for your input.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 PM

15 posts, read 31,773 times
Quote:
If you read the thread it stated they had already planned a move here already with a date. Which is crazy,would you set a moving date to a place you have never been then ask on a web blog were a good apt is, no job no area knowledge no clue all based on what you've heard. Its not like a having some one recommend a place to eat, they tell you its great you go and it stinks, then you just dont go there again. This kinda thing could do all kinds of damage to a young couple making a bad choice. My advice was to do the research, and alot more then bloggin, did not say not to move here did not bash them for not being born here simply made the point in the most drastic economic down turns in the history of this nation, moving to a totally unkown place without a job or good information and the tremendous pressure that now is here do to large growth from other states and are not represented by the unemployement numbers, all looking for work in area. This real view is mostly hidden on these blogs. To have an open mind and make better informed moves is what was presented. I would rather present a little doubt to a predetermined unverified veiw then allow them to just feel warm and fuzzy then move here and crash and burn. and this is already happing more then you would think.
I'm Moving in 9 months, I dont have the place finalized yet, lol relax

Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
[quote=Charlton Dude;6920171]information you may read. Or aka EXIT MASS NOW

Now here is my 4 cents having been in your shoes. We relocated here from MA. Outside of the realtors here, I am probably the most educated on the area as a whole.

Ill bite,,,,,How are you the most educated on this area? You claim to know more about my home for 43 years and generations of family? You relocated from MA, LOL,,,,,,,If you review this forum you will see alot of the sun spillers so called happy pants no longer spew the you are a chicken little the sky is falling tribe.. Because what they were shoveling camer back to bite them. this is Exit mass now isent it... lol... But thanks for the laugh...........Folks these are the folks that paint a incorrect picture of what is happing here. You can beleive someone from some where else or use your head and make a sound judgment.. I know its hard to tell the truth on here but research the local news and I think you get the real picture. wral....News And observer..

Last edited by NC man; 01-09-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 PM

76 posts, read 208,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I will try to respond to all of your posts in this one. I totally understand your thought pattern on ignoring negative posts. While I am in favor of listening to the pros and cons of every situation, I think you need to discount posts that throw a negative blanket over everything. Unfortunately there are agendas on a forum. There are some people that have been here a long time and simply don't like the transformation that has taken place. They have every right to feel that way, if they choose to. Unfortunately some people will try to deter others from coming here by trying to cast an inaccurate picture of the area. The same goes for transplants that would like to shut the door behind them. It sometimes can go to far. I have actually been threatened for being so pro Triangle. Not in the real world, but in the forum world. Some people just don't want anyone else to move here. So I suggest you pick and choose the information you may read.

Now here is my 4 cents having been in your shoes. We relocated here from MA. We bought without visiting the area first. We were not led here by publications or any chamber of commerce. We never were on any forum prior to moving here. We were not brainwashed. We knew we wanted this area of the country due to the great weather. We did research to find areas that were more modern, were affordable and had jobs. We discovered RTP and knew this was the area for us. Many times when you tell people you live in MA, they assume Boston. We lived no where near Boston. Our area of MA had no jobs, everything was falling apart and there was no future for us there. We sold and moved here without jobs. We decided to start over here. It was the best move we ever made. This area is doing great when you compare it to the country as a whole. The housing market has slowed quite a bit, but there is no mass depreciation happening. Other than slower development, we do not notice any difference in things now, as compared to a few years ago. Keep in mind that everything is relative. Some would like to convince you that we are falling off the edge of the planet. That would be an outright lie. Things are still holding up well here. When you look at the big picture, on a scale of 1 to 10, the Triangle may end up having a pain index of 3 while the rest of the country is a 10. If where you are at is in major trouble, it would only make sense to move somewhere that is not feeling that kind of pain. It's silly when people say don't move here because things will be slowing down. What do they think is happening where you are coming from? They act like everywhere else is booming and we are dying. It's ridiculous.

Outside of the realtors here, I am probably the most educated on the area as a whole. Based on what you have stated you would like, I can recommend Cary, North Raleigh and Southwest Durham. We have found these areas to be the best in the Triangle. Cary is by far the best for us. You will hear all kinds of false stereotypes about Cary. These statements usually come from people that not only have never lived there, but don't spend any time there. Cary is incredibly beautiful and clean. It is not all beige and cookie cutter as some would like people to think. It has homes of all shapes, sizes and colors. It has what I consider the best location in the Triangle. I live in NW Cary and have no issues with traffic and have an easy & short trip to work in RTP. I have everything I could need right in my own town and many things right in my own neighborhood. There is so much to do, I could never get bored. There are parks everywhere in Cary, plenty of shopping and places to eat. There is an art and music scene and Raleigh is right next door if you want more. Great schools on top of all that. We have the lowest tax rate of any town in Wake County. It is extremely affordable to live here. I cannot believe the amount of employers in the local area. So much choice. This is simple the best place we could have picked to live. I hope you find it as great as we do.

Add on - We drive back and forth to MA in one day all the time. It's 12 hours. No biggie. Sometimes we fly and mostly have driven. We also drive to Florida in 10 hours.
Just out of curiosity, what is your basis in stating that you are "probably the most educated on the area as a whole?"

Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Amtrak from Raleigh connects to the Acela train in DC so a train trip to Boston may be more relaxing while less costly than flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary