Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Islanders moving to triangle area, North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Holly Springs, seeking information on why northern’s move to North Carolina

Old 06-20-2006, 06:12 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,564 times

Advertisements

I read in another thread that mos Long Islanders go to North Ral and Cary, why??? Also, I was told Apex (which I know is near Raleigh) is also a big hot spot for us northerners and is why I asked in another thread about Holly Springs as a friend of mine is going to that area- any insight on these areas? Mix of people, diversity, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 06:29 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
Can't actually speak for the appeal for Long Islanders to land in Raleigh specifically but Raleigh is the capital of the state. The triangle has a lot of technical business with room for growth and probably an easier relocation problem. In short it is where the "yuppies" if that is even a politically correct term now to use. The salaries are probably higher there and the medical fields are wide open with medical schools such as Duke and Chapel Hill. And of course Raleigh-Durham airport with easy access out of the area for business. Charlotte is the largest city in the state in Mecklenburg County and there seems to be a lot of people headed in that direction as well. As for housing costs, well, I don't have a lot of information except that my daughter lives in Raleigh. She bought a 2100 square foot home in North Raleigh near the Loyal Lane area and it was around the $210,000.00 figure. But they have been making changes to that house ever since they move in it. First it was hardwood floors to the tune of nearly $10,000.00. Then it was painting inside and out, a new bay window, landscaping, taking out a Jack and Jill bathroom although I am not sure why they did this. And the list goes on and on. They probably have sunk at least $300,000.00 in this house in the 4 years they have been there. Cary I am told is getting kinda crowded. I am not saying how crowded because I really don't know. But there are Rolesville, Wendell, Garner, Knightdale, Holly Springs, Zebulon, Wake Forest, Chapel Hill, Durham and some other places to check out as well that would put you in the Raleigh area. Apex and Sanford are there as well. And Pittsboro but that might be getting too far out for a good commute into Raleigh. I have never been to Long Island so perhaps it is just that Raleigh seems like home to them. It does have a lot going for it.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:54 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Well the Raleigh-Durham-ChapelHill (Triangle) region probably gets more northerners as a whole than other parts of NC because of the type of fields here: computers, biotech, medical, government, engineering, higher education, etc. (In contrast, Charlotte's biggest field is banking.)

Long Islanders and others from suburban areas up north probably have been drawn to northern Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and the other Triangle suburbs because, well, it's what's familiar to them. More like home to them.

Whereas northerners from the larger cities like NYC, etc, are often drawn towards Raleigh Proper ("Inside-the-Beltline"), Durham, and Chapel Hill/Carrboro because they crave the more dense/urban, pedestrian-friendly, progressive city environment, with more things to do and less stripmalls & cul-de-sacs. Again, more like home for them.

Then of course you got folks like me, a boy born and raised in a suburban Southern town, and soon as I hit legal age, got the heck outta there and moved to downtown Raleigh so I can have a real life. LOL ;-)

Old 06-20-2006, 08:42 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
Well the Raleigh-Durham-ChapelHill (Triangle) region probably gets more northerners as a whole than other parts of NC because of the type of fields here: computers, biotech, medical, government, engineering, higher education, etc. (In contrast, Charlotte's biggest field is banking.)

Long Islanders and others from suburban areas up north probably have been drawn to northern Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and the other Triangle suburbs because, well, it's what's familiar to them. More like home to them.

Whereas northerners from the larger cities like NYC, etc, are often drawn towards Raleigh Proper ("Inside-the-Beltline"), Durham, and Chapel Hill/Carrboro because they crave the more dense/urban, pedestrian-friendly, progressive city environment, with more things to do and less stripmalls & cul-de-sacs. Again, more like home for them.

Then of course you got folks like me, a boy born and raised in a suburban Southern town, and soon as I hit legal age, got the heck outta there and moved to downtown Raleigh so I can have a real life. LOL ;-)
Most of what this thread has shown is correct. I currently live on Long Island and am moving to Matthews the end of the summer. Matthews is just outside of Charlotte. Our original plan was to move to Holly Springs which is on the outskirts of Cary and Apex. Our purpose to move there was because of the technology industry (RTP area) but my husband employment opportunities seemed to have pulled us to the Charlotte area. Charlotte and Raleigh are two of the most populated areas in terms of industries and job market. I'm sure most people from Long Island are moving close to other Northerners to be more comfortable in their surroundings, but I had inquired about the residential culture in our subdivision after we had decided to live there so having other northerners nearby was not the deciding factor but now that I know we will have other northerners in the area, it would make it easier for us to settle in. Kind of like a new kid in school. Would you rather go to school with someone you knew or to go by yourself? I know I would prefer to be with someone I knew, but that's just me. Friends of ours live in Cary and according to them stands for 'Containment Area for Relocated Yankees'. Basically, there are northerners in his subdivision. When we originally looked at Holly Springs, the subdivision we looked at was just a mile away from my friends in Cary so it is in close proximity to Cary/Apex and RTP and the airport is less than a half hour away. And since many are moving down, having the airport close by is a big plus. Hope this information helps.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:44 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Cary was the northern transplant mecca of the 90's, but it's essentially reached full capactiy now.... and North Raleigh/Wake Forest is taking over as the long island transplant area. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that much of that area isn't part of the city limits yet, so the taxes are still low. Where as Cary is becoming increasingly expensive, overbearing regulation...... more and more like the long island that the people wanted to get away from in the first place.... Northern Wake County is still largely undeveloped. The Wakefield Plantation mega-subdivision; which is made up of dozens of sub-subdivisons with homes ranging from townhomes priced in the 150k-200k, range..... to multi million dollar homes. Wakefield plantation sprawls through the very northern extent of Raleigh's city limits, through the unincorperated areas that are still considered N. Raleigh, into the town of Wake Forrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary