Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of grass is your lawn comprised of?
Tall Fescue 20 74.07%
Bermuda 3 11.11%
Zoysia 1 3.70%
Centipede 2 7.41%
St. Augustine 0 0%
Kentucky Bluegrass 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

My Lawn is a disaster!

It gets so much direct sunlight it is like trying to gorw grass directly on the surface of the sun. On top of that I have the worst soil media ever. I could deal with it if it were just clay, but it is compacted hardpan clay with tons of fill material (rocks). It seems all but impossible to grow grass on it. I have a tiny yard (.10 acres) and I plan on minimizing the grassy areas by introducing flowerbeds and shrubs into my Landscape along with some added shade from a few new trees this fall, but I still need to devise a plan to introduce some soil ammendments and Organic material before I overseed in the Fall. Anybody have any suggestions?

I think Aerating and then putting down2-3 inches of a topsoil/compost mix might help, but with the hardpan I don't think the aerator get much penetration and really do much good. Likewise, I have heard it is a bad idea to till a yard since it can make the rsulting lawn very bumpy. In addition to that I really think tilling my yard with a rental tiller would be very much like trying to till a concrete sidewalk. I can just see the tiller bouncing across my yard now instead of turning up the soil!

Aside from getting a few sticks of dynamite and blasting multiple craters into my lawn and filling that up with new soil what can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:43 AM

560 posts, read 2,849,720 times
Should I aerate, lime, and fertilize now in advance of seeding in mid Sept?

Or, do I Aerate, lime, seed and use a starter fertilizer all at the same time in mid Sept?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Likewise, I have heard it is a bad idea to till a yard since it can make the rsulting lawn very bumpy. In addition to that I really think tilling my yard with a rental tiller would be very much like trying to till a concrete sidewalk.
I tilled the front yard of a home we used to own (not in the Raleigh area). It was roughly 40x40, there were 4 oak trees and one hickory tree, and the entire yard was covered with ivy.

First, I had two trees taken out and the stumps ground down.

Then I killed the ivy with several gallons of RoundUp and hours of manual labor.

I waited a few weeks to make sure no more ivy would come back, then I tilled it. Hitting tree roots was no fun, but the tiller did in fact do a great job at tearing up the yard. And as odd as it may seem, there were broken chunks of sidewalk concrete in the yard.

I pulled out every rock, stone, chunk, and ivy root I could find, which was a huge help in eliminating bare spots. I seeded and applied starter fertilizer, then tamped it down flat. I had a few yards of topsoil delivered, which I applied and leveled.

Then my wife and I used a plumb line to ID any dips or humps, and leveled it more.

Then I seeded again.

The lawn turned out incredibly well, esp considering the shade and tree roots. We would up with one depression which I filled + reseeded with 2 bags of topsoil.

This was some work, but for ~$300 (not including tree/stump work) and some labor we wound up with a fantastic front yard, and IMHO tilling it was key.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 AM

16 posts, read 139,862 times
There's some much wrong information here...

Tall Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass are the best adapted to the Triangle area, hence the dominate the landscape.

Of the warm season grasses, Zoysia has the best cold tolerance, but it is also the one that stays dormant the longest and also the first one to to turn brown in the Fall. It grows here during the summer months, but if overferlized and over watered, it will produce THATCH like there's no tomorrow. Thatch will cause disease problems like Fairy Ring and other.

Bermuda grows here as well during the summer months, its cold tolerance for the Triangle area is marginal at best. It's green from May to about mid October, then dormant. That's 6 months of brown grass. It also invades your flower beds and requires monthly applications of fertilizer, close and frequent mowing (as much as 3 times per week) to keep a nice dense canopy. This grass is better left to sport field and Golf courses, not home lawns in the Triangle.

Centipedegrass, is not cold tolerant for the Triangle area. Not drought tolerant like bermudagrass. Requires special fertilizers (very low on nitrogen) which are hard to find because all the fertilizers found on the shelves at the big box stores are for Cool Season Grasses. It's slow to grow, therefore, repair from damage is painfully slow; not to mention its optimal summer growth is 2 to 3 months at best.

St. Augustinegrass, is even less tolerant of cold than Centipede. It's VERY wide bladed, and resembles Crabgrass quite well. Not drought tolerant like Bermuda. St. Augustine is better left to shady areas of the South East part of NC.

Kentucky Bluegrass dominites the landscape on the Western part of the state, from Asheville to Sparta and north. It's also used in the Triangle area as a companion to Tall Fescue.

Perennial Ryegrass can be grown here, but its long term survival without irrigation is short. However, it produces an outstanding turf.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
I like good'ol native common bermuda grass or "wire grass" for my sunny yard. It's drought resistant and easy to care for....well except for the fact that it likes to run

Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Common Bermuda is not native to NC or any US state for that matter. Its origens are from Africa.

The only native grass in the US is Buffalograss, a warm season grass, grows here as well. It is just not popular like bermuda or zoysia. To most people, it never comes to mind.

Click on the link for more information:

Prestige Buffalograss

Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Almost native anyway...it's been around a few hundred years or so. Thanks for the correction

Old 05-08-2009, 12:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
The best source of general information about Bermuda Grass
Bermudagrass - Bermuda grass seed for growing fine lawns and pastures.|Bermudagrass.com

One of the best sources on lawn types and how to grow.
Seedland.com - Lawn & Garden

I am growing Bermuda as that is the hand my builder dealt me. My son lives in a neighborhood of mostly disaster lawns.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Where does your brother live? I own a turf management company, I can help him and his neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary