Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times

Advertisements

Wife & I are going to take advantage of the glorious weather today to check out the Five Points area of Raleigh. We will be headed out soon, so any advice on exactly where we should go and what we should see. We plan a drive through and a quick lunch. We will stop at shopping if anything looks good and appears to be safe. It looks like we need to be on Glenwood, just north of Wade Ave. Is this correct?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Why bother?
You won't like it.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Oh wait, I get it now.
You are going to tour on Sunday morning so you can come back and report that nothing is going on and there's nowhere to go.
So, given that scenario, might I recommend Hayes Barton Baptist Church. I am sure it will be full. None of the stores will be open, nor will most of the businesses that mostly cater to the evening crowd.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 AM

316 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Wife & I are going to take advantage of the glorious weather today to check out the Five Points area of Raleigh. We will be headed out soon, so any advice on exactly where we should go and what we should see. We plan a drive through and a quick lunch. We will stop at shopping if anything looks good and appears to be safe. It looks like we need to be on Glenwood, just north of Wade Ave. Is this correct?
Appears to be safe? Oh come on....what the daylights do you expect to bloody happen on a Sunday morning? (It won't be much anyway....why not go when there are people there? Or do you include them in the 'not safe' catagory?)

Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,887 times
Default reply

take a left on fairview, a left on cowper then a right at the four way stop and a left on Holt. then take a right on Harvey until it connects with St Mary's. Take a left on St Mary's then a left onto Williamson back to Glenwood. Try the brunch at NOFO and then a cup of coffee at the Third Place. Pretty rough area. you might try a grab a slice of pizza at lilly's if the crowd does not scare you.

Last edited by uncletupelo; 02-08-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
The ending of this one is going to be as predictable as chick lit.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
take a left on fairview, a left on cowper then a right at the four way stop and a left on Holt. then take a right on Jarvis until it connects with St Mary's. Take a left on St Mary's then a right onto Williamson back to Glenwood. Try the brunch at NOFO and then a cup of coffee at the Third Place. Pretty rough area. you might try a grab a slice of pizza at lilly's if the crowd does not scare you.
I am looking at Google maps now. So the best area to tour is just west of Glenwood, if I am reading your post correctly?
Is this a good address to plug into my GPS?

NOFO @ the Pig

2014 Fairview Rd.
Raleigh, NC 27608

To answer a previous poster, a Sunday tour is sometimes the best because traffic is lighter. I am interested in seeing some of the historic houses that uncletupelo has mentioned in the past. Just because I may not want to live somewhere does not mean that I cannot appreciate certain aspects of it. If the homes are in good condition and are landscaped nicely, I will almost surely like them.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Holy cow, the guy said he is going to visit 5 Points and the peanut gallery jumps down his throat.
Yeah, he is over the top when it comes to Cary, but jeez, you could be a bit less defensive.
BTW, Raleigh and 5 Points etc is what it is. It's just a matter of likes and where you come from that will determine your opinion.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Holy cow, the guy said he is going to visit 5 Points and the peanut gallery jumps down his throat.
Yeah, he is over the top when it comes to Cary, but jeez, you could be a bit less defensive.
BTW, Raleigh and 5 Points etc is what it is. It's just a matter of likes and where you come from that will determine your opinion.
I am come from cow town USA. I am used to country living, hardly any traffic and nothing to do except what nature provides. Cary appeals to me in a big way because I can find my calming country feel here, yet I have more around me than I ever could have imagined possible from where I came from. I have always felt uncomfortable in a city setting, however I can find certain aspects interesting. It sounds like Five Points may have certain things about it that will appeal to me, so I would like to check it out. I have a great appreciation for upscale and extremely well kept areas. I am hoping to find that there.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 AM

316 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
He got jumped on for his silly comment about 'appears safe'...if you really are that scared on a Sunday morning in that area....well.....he needs to stay in Cary (not that Cary is crime free either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary