Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times

Advertisements

I have noticed over the past few years the increasing use of the term SW Durham on this Forum. Like North Raleigh, it seems to have taken on an identity all its own. And, like North Raleigh, there would seem to be some nuance as to what people consider the boundaries of "SW Durham". Given the very small geography of southern Durham County from East to West, the use of this term is very interesting to me. This is especially true when I compare the map of Southern Durham County to, say, that of Northern Wake County. Frankly, it just seems like a very small general area to divide up into SW/SE, etc. When I look at that area, it all just seems like Southern Durham to me. So, my questions to Durhamites is: Where exactly do you consider SW Durham to be? We had an interesting conversation about North Raleigh and I think this might be an equally spirited conversation.
From my perspective, if I consider the use of the term "SW Durham" and look at a map, I think of the area that abuts Chapel Hill and Orange County.
Next???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM

862 posts, read 3,550,510 times
Well for me, it's like I know when I'm in it, but not sure when the line gets blurry since I spend the vast majority of my time in SW Durham. I know when I'm crossing into the downtown area which is NOT apart of it. I'm going north so I guess that's central Durham. As for the east side, I know when I cross into SE Durham when I'm in certain 27703 parts of RTP bordering 70 and Miami Blvd. Obviously if I keep going southward on 15-501, I'm gonna end up in Chapel Hill. And if I head out past Southpoint, I'll end up in Chatham county. So those are my personal markers. I could be off some, but that's how I come to navigate my way around 'ole SW.

Oh and another marker that tells me I'm heading into central Durham is NCCU and Durham Tech. I'm close to NCCU's borders on the SW side.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,603,148 times
My vote would be as follows:

District Map — Durham Public Schools

The East/West boundary would be Highway 55. If you are west of 55 you are in the running.

The North/South boundary is alittle more tricky. Anything South of Highway 54 or Highway 40 (whichever is more 'North') would definitely be included.

I would probably extend the Northern border to encompass anything 2 miles North of the 54/40 line.

Thoughts?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,964,220 times
My definition would be south of cornwallis, west of 55.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Anything that is both west of East Durham and south of North Durham.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 AM

121 posts, read 381,731 times
Based just on a map and the shape of the city - I say anything west of Fayetteville and south of MLK.

Based on "cultural" centers (*cough* malls *cough*), housing prices, schools, household incomes, etc. - I say west of 55 and south of MLK. I'm torn about whether to include Hope Valley because of the age of the neighborhood relative to the rest of SW Durham.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,024,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by layyze View Post
Based just on a map and the shape of the city - I say anything west of Fayetteville and south of MLK.

Based on "cultural" centers (*cough* malls *cough*), housing prices, schools, household incomes, etc. - I say west of 55 and south of MLK. I'm torn about whether to include Hope Valley because of the age of the neighborhood relative to the rest of SW Durham.

I would probably agree with this assessment....being more certain about 55 as a boundary than I am about the MLK/Cornwallis question.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,061,415 times
rnc2mbfl, that's why I tend to just say "southern Durham" instead of "southwest Durham". Based on the comments by people on local blogs, it sounds like "southern Durham" is anything below the South Square shopping center on 15-501. But as you can tell, that's not set in stone.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 AM

140 posts, read 441,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
My definition would be south of cornwallis, west of 55.
My thought is close to that but I would probably move the eastern boundary over to Alston Ave as Alston is the boundary for the RTP although most of what is in that couple of block stretch is commercial so I tend to think of it as "the Park" even though it isn't.

I also am a bit hazy about the area between MLK Parkway and Cornwallis - I can't quite make up my mind as to which I'd use. Maybe the boundary is Cornwallis to University to MLK as you traverse westward?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 11,598 times
its pretty much the area around southpoint mall area. and i think hope valley is with it,because 27713 is the Sdurham.. past MLK i think is considered North Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary