Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,254 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend an individual or place that does onsite computer repairs - specifically that won't charge me more than my computer is worth! My wonderful Dell (sarcasm) won't even turn on - it is saying the Kernel32.dll is corrupt. Dell informed me a virus caused this and I have to reinstall Windows. Since a virus/worm/trojan caused this - they told me that reinstalling Windows might not get rid of the problem. I need someone who *can* get rid of the problem. My life is on the computer! Thankfully, backed up!

Thanks,
Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:26 AM

143 posts, read 416,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingforaRun View Post
Can anyone recommend an individual or place that does onsite computer repairs - specifically that won't charge me more than my computer is worth! My wonderful Dell (sarcasm) won't even turn on - it is saying the Kernel32.dll is corrupt. Dell informed me a virus caused this and I have to reinstall Windows. Since a virus/worm/trojan caused this - they told me that reinstalling Windows might not get rid of the problem. I need someone who *can* get rid of the problem. My life is on the computer! Thankfully, backed up!

Thanks,
Emily
For a kernel32.dll corrupt error, they're probably right on the reinstalling Windows part...the part about that possibly not fixing it is BS. You're not going to find a reputable company that will come out for less than $90-120 per hour. If you do decide to spend that kind of money, please don't go with somewhere like Geek Squad. Your best bet may be to post on one of the Craigslist boards to find a college student, or to ask around and see if anyone has a son/daughter that is good with computers. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC81 View Post
For a kernel32.dll corrupt error, they're probably right on the reinstalling Windows part...the part about that possibly not fixing it is BS.
If the virus that originally caused the problem is still lurking in one of the files that remains on her computer, then re-installing Windows may only give the virus another opportunity to corrupt the system. Thus, just reinstalling Windows may not fix the problem.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 AM

143 posts, read 416,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
If the virus that originally caused the problem is still lurking in one of the files that remains on her computer, then re-installing Windows may only give the virus another opportunity to corrupt the system. Thus, just reinstalling Windows may not fix the problem.
That's why you scan your documents before putting them back on a freshly imaged computer. Common sense.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC81 View Post
That's why you scan your documents before putting them back on a freshly imaged computer. Common sense.
Yes, true, but the Dell solution didn't say to reimage the system - it said to reinstall Windows. It is possible to do a non-destructive reinstall. If the OP does have a full backup, doing a destructive install and then doing as you suggest would be the best solution.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 PM

55 posts, read 232,766 times
ERI PC , He is located downtown. I bought a PC from him (Dell) awhile back.. Small shop but very very reasonable prices and I had a DLL error a couple months ago.. he was able to clear it up no problem... Give him a call..

851 West Morgan St
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 798-4594

Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM

206 posts, read 596,779 times
I really need to read the TOS.

A kernel32.dll error can be caused by one of very many different things. Dell support will attribute anything to a virus or trojan so they don't have to keep spending time on the phone. My fiancée's laptop screen died and they tried to tell me it was a problem with Windows. I said "I'm sorry, I don't mean to come off as presumptuous but I'm a computer engineer and I know what I'm doing and this is definitely an issue with either the graphic card or the motherboard" and they immediately escalated my case and sent me a box to send her computer back to Dell (I gave her gold support on her laptop as a present for a birthday when she bought it) to get the motherboard replaced.

A complete virus/trojan scan of the computer should indicate whether it is either of those. Then you can pretty much just replace the dll file from the dllcache and it will work right away. Then, you probably want to install a virus scanner and schedule daily/weekly scans so this doesn't happen again. Worst case scenario-- this could be a corrupt hard drive. Then you're going to need to replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows and all that messy stuff that'll waste an hour of your life.

//edit: you're probably going to ask how on earth you're supposed to run a virus scan on a system that doesn't boot. Using a "live cd" that your computer will boot from instead of the hard drive.

Last edited by needcaffeine; 04-19-2009 at 09:14 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,972 times
We used First Services in Raleigh for our computer repairs at my old office. They were pretty reasonable I thought, were very knowledgeable, and also provided quick service.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM

43 posts, read 186,597 times
You can direct message me, I can help.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Is it true that with a Lenovo computer purchased from them with full at home service and damage protection and your ills are just a phone call away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary