Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Is this the 101 reasons to move to the Triangle thread? Perhaps it is the which neighborhood will appreciate the most in the next ten years thread? If not perhaps it is the familiar transplant wants to know if people in the Triangle are as warm and inviting as they hear. If not that is it the Cary was picked by Money and Forbes as being one of the top small cities in the country to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Is this the 101 reasons to move to the Triangle thread? Perhaps it is the which neighborhood will appreciate the most in the next ten years thread? If not perhaps it is the familiar transplant wants to know if people in the Triangle are as warm and inviting as they hear. If not that is it the Cary was picked by Money and Forbes as being one of the top small cities in the country to live in?
All of which is seemingly attractive to fake solicitors and those who steal from your vehicle or garage while you sleep.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Yes, crooks can smell the yuppie money like ants smell dropped food.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,599 times
This is so sad! I can't imagine having to worry about people coming to my door. I've dealt with solicitors in the past and I've handled them all the same: "Thank you, but I'm not interested". That is typically enough for someone to get the message. I don't let them in, but will either stand within a small crack in the door, or step outside. If I don't feel like opening the door at all, I'll yell out an upstairs window (gives the impression I'm busy doing something right now). But 9 times out of 10 I'll open the door. If I get a creepy vibe, I'll make up an excuse and close the door. I haven't ever had anyone try to push past me. My dd is not allowed to open the door, no matter what, if I'm not at home. I don't care if they saw her go in the house, she's to get the phone and call 911 if the person walks around to the back and try to look in the windows. I do that because some teenagers aren't wrapped too tight at times and mine seems a little unwrapped a lot of the time.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Once you open the door to talk, they can easily push their way in.
You are not pushing me aside and getting into my house...I can assure you.

My wife may be a different story, she's smart enough to know when to open and when to not. She did not let the elders of our new church in the house when they came to visit. Both men commented on how it was a smart thing.

But I hate to break it to you, if they want in...they get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
Reading this thread is sad. I can't imagine living in fear where I can't answer a knock at my door. How do you people stand it?

You will see in an earlier post I opened the door to an early morning rape and knife attack with a woman screaming bloody murder at my door----literally. If she had of knocked on most on heres doors she would be dead now.

Either move where you feel safe or grow a set but don't accept being a sheep----be the sheep dog.

Sad indeed. You had a crazy situation for sure, but I still agree with your end premise.

So ah, is this what the Southeast has been reduced too? I'm sitting here in Manchester, CT with unlocked doors at all times, no security system - and no need, and only an ipod stolen from an unlocked car in 7 years by a local kid.

Maybe I should stay North regardless of politics and taxes.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You are not pushing me aside and getting into my house...I can assure you.

My wife may be a different story, she's smart enough to know when to open and when to not. She did not let the elders of our new church in the house when they came to visit. Both men commented on how it was a smart thing.

But I hate to break it to you, if they want in...they get in.

Sad indeed. You had a crazy situation for sure, but I still agree with your end premise.

So ah, is this what the Southeast has been reduced too? I'm sitting here in Manchester, CT with unlocked doors at all times, no security system - and no need, and only an ipod stolen from an unlocked car in 7 years by a local kid.

Maybe I should stay North regardless of politics and taxes.
Sounds like a nice town. Why leave?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Just got a fake solicitor at my house today. Young woman claiming to be from around the corner saying she was a student at UNC who was part of a group that had earned broadcasting internships with the BBC and she needed to raise money for the trip. She claimed to have come up with the idea of selling magazine subscriptions, but since no one here really reads magazines anymore, her idea was to sell magazine subscriptions that would be sent to military personnel overseas.

Clever...not only do you go for the "support our troops" angle, but you make it so that the dupes think the subscriptions are going elsewhere and won't even know that the whole thing was a scam and that there aren't any magazines.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Just got a fake solicitor at my house today. Young woman claiming to be from around the corner saying she was a student at UNC who was part of a group that had earned broadcasting internships with the BBC and she needed to raise money for the trip. She claimed to have come up with the idea of selling magazine subscriptions, but since no one here really reads magazines anymore, her idea was to sell magazine subscriptions that would be sent to military personnel overseas.

Clever...not only do you go for the "support our troops" angle, but you make it so that the dupes think the subscriptions are going elsewhere and won't even know that the whole thing was a scam and that there aren't any magazines.
That's a smart thief. Maybe she really goes to UNC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary