Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:12 AM

44 posts, read 138,148 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide whether to go with Verizon Blackberry vs. AT&T iPhone. I will be living in Cary/Raleigh and working in Clayton/Smithfield. Good signal reception is the most important factor. Since I will be doing a fair bit of driving, being able to play MP3 files is also important. I will use email function but won't be doing much internet browsing. I will use Bluetooth function. I am a current Verizon user in Ohio and my contract is up for renewal soon so I could get a Blackberry Curve for $50.

Can you tell me which is better in terms of:
1) Signal reception (Verizon vs AT&T) in the above regions
2) Playing and storing MP3 files
3) Monthly price
4) Overall recommendation

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,347,954 times

I just got the iPhone this week and love it! Both AT&T and Verizon have great service in the Triangle area. You will have to make sure you have service where you will be living and at work though since just like anywhere there may be spotty issues.

I can't tell you which is a better value between the two. I would go with which phone suits you better, as both have great service. AT&T customer service is great and I haven't had any issues with them in the last four years. The Curve for $50 is cheaper than the iPhone for $199. So again it really comes down to the phone and make sure you have signal in your specific areas. Hopefully someone who has had both can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planningmove View Post
I am trying to decide whether to go with Verizon Blackberry vs. AT&T iPhone. I will be living in Cary/Raleigh and working in Clayton/Smithfield. Good signal reception is the most important factor. Since I will be doing a fair bit of driving, being able to play MP3 files is also important. I will use email function but won't be doing much internet browsing. I will use Bluetooth function. I am a current Verizon user in Ohio and my contract is up for renewal soon so I could get a Blackberry Curve for $50.

3) Monthly price

Thanks very much.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 AM

447 posts, read 1,719,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planningmove View Post

3) Monthly price

Thanks very much.
1) ATT has better reception in the Triangle, beat only by Sprint
2) iPhone will beat the BB for MP3 in terms of player and storage but as of right now does not have A2DP
3) Probably a toss up, I spend $135 for an iPhone (data, voice, 200 sms), plus two other voice only lines and a second 200sms plan. I think I am at 600 anytime minutes (national)with rollover, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited calls to other ATT phones.
4) For a play around phone iPhone wins out. For business BB. Although I would probably recommend some flavor of HTC before BB.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,699,046 times
If you go with Sprint, they have an everything plan for $99. That's a big advantage over iphone. I think the iphone is a bit more hip, and has better apps, but the BB is a better business phone.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,961,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
1) ATT has better reception in the Triangle, beat only by Sprint
Really? I'm not disputing it, just questioning it, as I'm curious. Is there some objective data that shows this? Sprint used to be big here but took a dive when other companies came in and offered wider coverage. Has it made a comeback? How do you think Verizon stacks up? - seems like you have them at least 3rd.

(I'm currently with AT&T; had Verizon before that; and Sprint before that.)

Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,347,954 times
Just warning about Sprint. My boyfriend gets annoying texts from them trying to sell him stuff and their customer service is awful. They are always trying to sell him things when he is talking to them AND they are hard to understand since they are in India. He has also had bogus charges on his account. I've never had any of these issues with AT&T (before that Cingular).

Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,498,744 times
You really can't say which one has better reception in the triangle. Each of them have areas in the Triangle that have better reception than others. Verizon probably has the most towers now they they bought Altell. For one to just say one is better than nother is pretty ignorant, as some phone providors might have a dead spot at your house that others will not. Sprint from hearing from others that have it is not in the Top 2 for reception though, but some places they might be good in the triangle.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 PM

60 posts, read 163,304 times
Just my two cents (I don't live there yet but am moving soon), I have the Verizon Storm and LOVE IT.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 PM

43,363 posts, read 77,251,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Just warning about Sprint. My boyfriend gets annoying texts from them trying to sell him stuff and their customer service is awful. They are always trying to sell him things when he is talking to them AND they are hard to understand since they are in India. He has also had bogus charges on his account. I've never had any of these issues with AT&T (before that Cingular).
I heard this about Sprint before I went with them.
But, I spoke with a few people I know about their coverage.
They were both OK with the service, too.

Two months in, and so far so good.
But, I do have my guard up.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 PM

232 posts, read 1,031,597 times
[1] In this area, Sprint beats AT&T & Verizon in terms of 3G data speed/reception.
[2] Anything to do with music - Iphone is the clear winner
[3] BB data plans are much reasonable when compared to the overpriced iphone plans.
[4] Overall I'd go with BB since it a stable platform with strong data services. Its not as hip as the iphone but in my opinion a better choice overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary