Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:54 PM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times

Advertisements

The guy who was coming over to talk to me this afternoon had to postpone until tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to hearing his thoughts. He was recommended by a friend who has used him for several projects on her home. In particular I will be interested in hearing which areas he would attend to (first) and what he sees as the highest priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I have been a general contractor, doing handy work, and well know the territory.
Wanna do a siding job??? j/k

Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Wanna do a siding job??? j/k
I wish I could.

I miss it.
Really.

There is a great deal of satisfaction to be derived from making something that has deteriorated into a source of pride.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:36 PM

BTW, my four new/replacement windows were installed today (Clear Choice was the Mfg). They are fantastic! Easy to clean, smooooth mechanism. What a pleasure.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:55 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,222 times
Two of my neighbors had their siding redone in the last 2 yrs....both homes are around 2500 sq ft...one paid $20k & one paid about $25k. So this price seems in line to me. You can bet I'm waiting till the bloody end before I get mine done. Ours is actually is pretty good shape. I guess it just depends on overall maintenance.

By the way, we just replaced 3 windows sashes in our house, the wood on the sash (the part that moves with glass in it) was rotted. We put new ones in, vinyl clad, wood inside/vinyl outside, and they cost about $150 ea and my husband did them. You buy them in a do it yourself kit that included the two sashes and balances (the plastic side & top)...the first one took him about 30 mins, after that, about 10 minutes apiece. They work wonderfully! Granted, we had good frames and relatively new sills. Just an FYI...

Old 05-02-2009, 07:32 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
Two of my neighbors had their siding redone in the last 2 yrs....both homes are around 2500 sq ft...one paid $20k & one paid about $25k. So this price seems in line to me. You can bet I'm waiting till the bloody end before I get mine done. Ours is actually is pretty good shape. I guess it just depends on overall maintenance.

By the way, we just replaced 3 windows sashes in our house, the wood on the sash (the part that moves with glass in it) was rotted. We put new ones in, vinyl clad, wood inside/vinyl outside, and they cost about $150 ea and my husband did them. You buy them in a do it yourself kit that included the two sashes and balances (the plastic side & top)...the first one took him about 30 mins, after that, about 10 minutes apiece. They work wonderfully! Granted, we had good frames and relatively new sills. Just an FYI...
I'm still in denial about this folks. I'm sorry. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but Jimmy freakin Christmas, I just can't seem to come to terms with $20-$25K for siding! I know it is a big job and all. I used to do framing work back in school. But it is essentially nailing straight board on the side of a home, with straight cuts to fit. The material is under $5000 for any home up to 2500 sq ft. The rest is labor and even at that, it's just hard physical work. It's about like putting down hardwood flooring only on the outside, side of a home. $25,000?!!?!? Good Lord! You can buy repo home in Florida for that right now. An entire house!

I'm going outside first thing tomorrow and say three hail Marry't that my siding don't rot. I want a backyard oasis this summer, not new siding!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I'm still in denial about this folks. I'm sorry. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but Jimmy freakin Christmas, I just can't seem to come to terms with $20-$25K for siding! I know it is a big job and all. I used to do framing work back in school. But it is essentially nailing straight board on the side of a home, with straight cuts to fit. The material is under $5000 for any home up to 2500 sq ft. The rest is labor and even at that, it's just hard physical work. It's about like putting down hardwood flooring only on the outside, side of a home. $25,000?!!?!? Good Lord! You can buy repo home in Florida for that right now. An entire house!

I'm going outside first thing tomorrow and say three hail Marry't that my siding don't rot. I want a backyard oasis this summer, not new siding!
So-o-o-o-o...

You do straight cuts in the gables?
Not at my house.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,222 times
Quote:

For what its worth, they say it does add a good chunk of value to your home at resale...especially when its in a neighborhood that hasn't been redone. But I don't know about that in this market....

Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 PM

The house 3 doors down was on the market about a month and sold. Now I don't know what it sold for (yet), but the outside is pristine, from the previous owners (hardiplank), and the current owners (of less than 2 years) did a lot of work on the inside, plus replaced all windows (19) plus new HVAC system, etc., etc. They had to do the replacements inside due to problems that occurred after they purchased. But they sold the house so .... that tells you that a well-maintained home in the $250K - $270K price point can still do okay in this market. Whoever bought the house is getting a house in very good condition with all new systems, roof, etc. But make no mistake--those new owners are 'paying' for the work that was done by previous owners, at least partially, since the house sold for more than the previous purchase price and there has been some appreciation as well.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I'm still in denial about this folks. I'm sorry. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but Jimmy freakin Christmas, I just can't seem to come to terms with $20-$25K for siding!
I think you need to separate what you think the labor cost 'should' be from what it is. If it was an easy DIY thing to do, with little-to-no knowledge needed, and just anyone could do it, don't you think more people *would?* I mean you see people paint their own walls--even I managed to do the one room I had to paint (but man was that hard work and it was not a fun task).

But a big house project like siding is different. Even if you think it shouldn't be, it is. To you it's no big deal, easy/peasy. Well if that price galls you so much (and I'm not terribly fond of it myself), then come redo the siding on my house and I'll pay you exactly what you say the job's worth: $12K including materials.

Everybody wants their pound (and then some) of flesh. That jacks the price up. It's what people are being charged for the work. So who else are people going to turn to, with confidence, when the little individual guys AND the big companies are charging upward of $20K and more for this type of project?

How does one find the right talent at the price you think should be charged and not get screwed by someone who isn't really up to the task?

You keep saying this is easy, Cowboy, but other than tsk-tsking and shaking your head, please offer some real solutions.

Why don't you start a siding replacement company where you charge ONLY what you yourself would be willing to pay if you were having the work done on your home? Hey, according to you, someone who is charging $12K would still make a very healthy profit! So...how 'bout it? The market here needs something like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary