Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:18 AM

237 posts, read 915,277 times

Advertisements

My wiife and I with are 5 and 14 year old are moving out of Vegas for several reasons. We have not been here that long , but going back to jersey and getting a tiny capcode with no garage on 1/5 of an acre that needs to be redone with taxes of 6k for 300k plus is nuts.So we are moving to the raleigh area. I do not want to deal with the same growth problem when it comes to the schools that vegas has and it seems wake county is the same or worse. I have been lookin at some nice homes in clayton and it is on the map the same distance that wake forest is but you get more house and land for the money and the schools are normal. Any info on Clayton will help .. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 03:37 AM

53 posts, read 162,211 times
I would also like the same info. I keep looking and we are drawn to Clayton. I need schools for two in high school, one in middle school, plus one for K in two years. We would like a swim, tennis, playground thing. Thanks

Old 04-05-2007, 05:27 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Just run a search of the old threads on this forum. There have been tons of post concerning Clayton discussing these topics.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,491 times
I just closed on my house this previous Friday, moved in the same day. I absolutely LOVE Clayton!
I'm actually a Raleigh native, got sick of the high expense of living, the traffic, the in-city construction, etc.
When I found out how much houses were running for in Clayton and just how much of a house you can get, it didnt take me long to began my search for my new home.

I have a 9 year old little girl. The first thing she said was "how friendly everyone was" in Clayton versus Raleigh, lol. Its true. It has that small town feel (kind of) that the big city lacks. I also like the location. Its about a ten minute drive to the Outlet center in Smithfield, about an hour and a half to the beach, plus Cary (great shopping) is a few exits away and of course, twenty minute drive into Raleigh.

PERSONALLY speaking...my daughter has gotten a much better education in Clayton then she did in Raleigh. She struggled last year in second grade, especially in reading. This year, she is on the gifted program, made Principal's list and is now on a 7th grade reading level. Big difference! I think the class sizes are a bit smaller, she seems to get more individual attention in her new school (West Clayton Elementary). I have heard alot of good things about Riverwood's school & living community. I drove through there, excellent neighborhoods, but they didnt have the floor plan I wanted. Also, check out FLowers plantation. There's another one I have heard about called "Glen Laurel".

I can only speak for Anderson homes, which I love. Thats where we recently bought our house.

Good luck on your search!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:04 AM

129 posts, read 566,222 times
This is in my book the best site to get every and any info you need on any school in any county.
http://www.ncschoolreportcard.org/src/

Make sure to click "school report card snapshot." It gives you every detail any parent could want...even teacher turn over rate.
Hope this helps
Linda

Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 PM

161 posts, read 683,364 times
I have a few clients looking into Clayton and they are most impressed with homes, schools and overall community around the HWY 42 East area which includes Flowers Plantation. There are some very upscale homes and some nice polished(curbs/sidewalk) neighborhood choices. There is a 6month inventory on homes in Clayton and this is where you will find the best deal for the money. Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM

312 posts, read 1,905,288 times
We lives in Flowers Plantation and are very pleased with our new home/neighborhood. Our son attends Riverdell and his education is way much better than in Florida. The school staff are very friendly and they communicate very well with the parents. We love Clayton because it's quiet and nice. It took me 20 minutes to Garner for my job. The traffic wasn't bad at all (I leave at 7am). If the traffic is bad, there are plenty of short-cut to avoid the traffic, like go on Guy Road or take Old Hwy 40.

I can't think of any negatives about Clayton, except the library in downtown is pretty small. It would be nicer if it's new and bigger.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:09 PM

233 posts, read 860,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
We lives in Flowers Plantation and are very pleased with our new home/neighborhood. Our son attends Riverdell and his education is way much better than in Florida. The school staff are very friendly and they communicate very well with the parents. We love Clayton because it's quiet and nice. It took me 20 minutes to Garner for my job. The traffic wasn't bad at all (I leave at 7am). If the traffic is bad, there are plenty of short-cut to avoid the traffic, like go on Guy Road or take Old Hwy 40.

I can't think of any negatives about Clayton, except the library in downtown is pretty small. It would be nicer if it's new and bigger.
Ms. Betty does her best with what the town gives her. She's been managing the library since the 70's. I do think they are currently fund-raising for a new expansion, seems I heard her talking about expanding out toward their parking lot, and they would lose a few parking spaces. They have great book sales in the spring!!

Old 04-06-2007, 08:18 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,380 times
Another area you might want to look at is the Cleveland community, also known as 40-42. It's about 10 min. from Clayton and right on I-40 (exit 312).

Old 04-06-2007, 08:26 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
The Cleveland community is a great area. I sent my parents to live over there! McGees Crossroads area is just a bit down the road and growing in leaps and bounds, as well. You get alot of home for the money in the Johnston County area. In 2005, that area grew 400%.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary