Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:52 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,697,631 times

Advertisements

Hey, how are you guys typing anything on this forum? By doing so, you are using products made in China, and supporting their communist government, so I'd chuck the computers out the window right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 11:27 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,922,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Hey, how are you guys typing anything on this forum? By doing so, you are using products made in China, and supporting their communist government, so I'd chuck the computers out the window right now.
Nobody implied it was impossible to avoid all Chinese made products. Quite the contrary. We realize we are flooded with it here. We just ask that the products be better regulated to be safe and not kill our children and poison to death our pets. This seems to be too much to ask. Led painted toys, toxic sheetrock, poison baby formula, poison pet food, poison aresol sprays, toxic toothpaste, this just recently. This list goes for miles.

I went to the Asian market the other day in Cary as I love Asian food. Purchased a bottle of pre-made curry paste. It was made in China, with a oil base. Got home and upon opening the bottle, the oil smelled like used old motor oil. It was horrible and I threw it out. God only knows what toxic concoction was in that bottle.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:15 PM

519 posts, read 982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Almost all shoes are from China now.

Much clothing is Chinese.

Almost all toys.

The US can use tariffs to solve this but chooses to support Communist China.

Try Lou Dobbs on CNN for more detail on how we are building up an enemy to destroy us.
Once again, this is what happens when American consumers choose price over quality. (Why do you think Hart Schaffner Marx from Chicago is in bankruptcy protection?) Wal-Mart used to tout the fact that they had products made in this country. Now they are the largest importer of Chinese products.

Some of my jeans are made completely in this country. $150 a piece. The majority of my suits, ties, and dress shoes are made in this country. The cost of this wardrobe is quite high, but my suits will last at least 10 years and my shoes will last 20 years easy.

I would like to see where Lou Dobbs buys his suits and ties.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,178,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Once again, this is what happens when American consumers choose price over quality. (Why do you think Hart Schaffner Marx from Chicago is in bankruptcy protection?) Wal-Mart used to tout the fact that they had products made in this country. Now they are the largest importer of Chinese products.

Some of my jeans are made completely in this country. $150 a piece. The majority of my suits, ties, and dress shoes are made in this country. The cost of this wardrobe is quite high, but my suits will last at least 10 years and my shoes will last 20 years easy.

I would like to see where Lou Dobbs buys his suits and ties.
Trouble is we are unfairly competing when China devalues the yuan and does not provide a fair set of protections to workers.

Better to pay more and support our economy than buy junk and support a Communist regime.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:28 PM
.-.

157 posts, read 371,173 times
So back to the original append. Do they have any proof that the builder knew the time the material was defective? Is there a warranty from the builder for the house that would cover this? If the answer to those are both no; why shouldn't a judge say "Sorry you need to find someone one in China to sue". case closed.

I wonder going back 10 years or more if you went to the same home owners that are suing or plan to and told them would you like to shave $10,000 off the cost of your house and use drywall from China instead of the US would have declined. I'm betting only a very small number would have gone a different path from where they are today. "Drywall is drywall what do I care... $10,000 dollars buys me a lot"

Heck, I think even today many would be shocked how many would still go with the cheaper China stuff if the builder told them don't worry it's all been fixed now.. I'll throw in a few other upgrades too.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:49 PM

519 posts, read 982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Trouble is we are unfairly competing when China devalues the yuan and does not provide a fair set of protections to workers.

Better to pay more and support our economy than buy junk and support a Communist regime.
So we make a better product and make consumers want to buy American products. As long as consumers choose price over quality and buy Chinese products, companies will continue to import their products.

You are assuming that everything is made poorly in China and everything is made well in this country, which is not the case.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM

192 posts, read 438,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I went to the Asian market the other day in Cary as I love Asian food. Purchased a bottle of pre-made curry paste. It was made in China, with a oil base. Got home and upon opening the bottle, the oil smelled like used old motor oil. It was horrible and I threw it out. God only knows what toxic concoction was in that bottle.
I bet you did not and/or do not know how to read the labels on the bottle before you bought it. It might have certain unusual flavors in it that you do not like, not "toxic concoction".

You obvously have very limitted knowledge about China and Asian in general. since when it is good idea to buy Curry-paste food from China? not from thailand or India?

It is ok to be not well educated on something you are not familar with. But it is totally wrong (malicious) to spread out your very own uneducated guess to the public.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 AM

192 posts, read 438,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
The strange thing to me is that there are some things made in China that are very high quality, but they don't sell them here! One example is I buy these insulated stainless steel sport water bottles that are great, you can keep your water cold all day even when the bottles sit in my car all day on a 90 degree day! There are dozens of companies that make them in China, but not one of them imports them to the US! I actually have to pay to have them shipped through the postal service! Luckily it doesn't cost much to have them sent, but I think it's really odd that here's a product that works great, and you can't buy here, but would sell like hotcakes, and it's not imported to the US. The only thing I can think of is they can't make these bottle cheap, there is a lot of work that goes into making them.
How about folks here in the states do not want to pay a premium for a water bottle?

there is a way to make a $10 water bottle and there is another way to make a $100 water bottle. It is not a matter of where it is made, it is all about how the comsumers want it to be made.

The market, not the company or the government, dictate that what need to be made and how to make it?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,087,907 times
I can't believe how far off topic this has gotten, but I guess I should expect this by now.

Anyways, we have a stainless steal water bottle that is made by Thermos brand and it keeps water cool for up to 12 hours and it doesn't sweat. It was $15 at Target and it's Made in China. It has Hello Kitty on it, but we did see some stainless steel ones that were just like blue and yellow also.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 AM

69 posts, read 156,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
So we make a better product and make consumers want to buy American products. As long as consumers choose price over quality and buy Chinese products, companies will continue to import their products.

You are assuming that everything is made poorly in China and everything is made well in this country, which is not the case.
I was just thinking this. Why are people assuming we make a better product than places overseas? When you really look at our products, we produce many poor quality products, which is a big reason why people buy from overseas. Look at automobiles as an example. Much better products come from abroad. Reports I have read state that they are not positive the drywall came from China and they are also not sure the same problem doesn't exist in American made product. People need to stop thinking American product is superior, when in many cases it is the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary