Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 AM

250 posts, read 1,246,186 times

Advertisements

We moved from Lexington MA in 2005 and I can't tell you the number of days during the winter when we stop to appreciate how great the weather is here. I've sort of informally found that during the summer it is usually only 10 degrees warmer in NC than in MA. But in the winter it is typically at least 20 degree warmer than in MA. The weather is so worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,986 times
Default hoa control hell

Look into HOA issues
Schools issues
traffic increasing

Weather alone is not enough of a reason, if you love your area stay there. Most people who move here hated where they were.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 79,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary_nc View Post
We moved from Lexington MA in 2005 and I can't tell you the number of days during the winter when we stop to appreciate how great the weather is here. I've sort of informally found that during the summer it is usually only 10 degrees warmer in NC than in MA. But in the winter it is typically at least 20 degree warmer than in MA. The weather is so worth it!
I believe I would feel the same way. I can't tell you how many times I checked weather.com (especially last winter 2005-06) to see what the temp was in Raleigh

Old 04-10-2007, 10:20 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2NC View Post
My family and I have been pondering a move for over a year. We've made several visits down during spring and summer and really liked what we saw. We love our house and neighborhood up in Massachusetts, but we really can't take the long cold SNOWY winters for 5+ months out of EVERY year. For those who have moved there from someplace cold, is it everything you thought it would be? I envision being able to go for bike rides with the kids (obviously some days are cold) on certain days throughout the winter without being all bundled up. Do you find that you get outside much more during the winter now that you're in NC?

Thanks in advance!
The weather is a nice side benifit...it's not a reason to move. However, yes, you will find you do more during the winter months down here then you do in colder regions.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 AM

567 posts, read 2,142,177 times
I concur with Desdemona123, nice benefit but not reason to move.

My husband went to Duke and told me that he could wear shorts at least one day per month, every month, year round! I didn't believe him until I lived in the Triangle and that was true!

There are days when New England is hotter in the summer, we found. Also, our tomato plants just LOVED the weather. We had a great crop!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Look into HOA issues
Schools issues
traffic increasing

Weather alone is not enough of a reason, if you love your area stay there. Most people who move here hated where they were.
I agree. However weather is a big issue for me. Also, I liked what I saw of the area when I visited and I am aware of the school redistricting issues. I was down there in the spring and summer last year and really didn't notice the traffic. I was there during the week and on weekends. Maybe it's just what you're accustomed to. Did you move from a cold climate?

Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
I concur with Desdemona123, nice benefit but not reason to move.

My husband went to Duke and told me that he could wear shorts at least one day per month, every month, year round! I didn't believe him until I lived in the Triangle and that was true!

There are days when New England is hotter in the summer, we found. Also, our tomato plants just LOVED the weather. We had a great crop!
Loved the weather in NC?

Old 04-10-2007, 10:36 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,061,415 times
If you just want warmer weather and less snow, there are tons of options out there: Nashville, Tulsa, Kansas City ... more places than I could possibly name. And many of them are less expensive than the Triangle, too. So obviously there are lots of other things to consider before making a move. But I think your average person would rather deal with the extra heat in the summers than piles and piles of snow in the winter.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
The weather is a nice side benifit...it's not a reason to move. However, yes, you will find you do more during the winter months down here then you do in colder regions.
The weather is a perfectly legitimate reason to move and has been the impetus for many, many folks to move south and west for generations....

If you have lived through 40 New England winters then mild winters is more than a "side benefit" it is nirvana.

The weather may not have been our "only" reason for moving but it was numero uno on the list by a large margin.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2NC View Post
I agree. However weather is a big issue for me. Also, I liked what I saw of the area when I visited and I am aware of the school redistricting issues. I was down there in the spring and summer last year and really didn't notice the traffic. I was there during the week and on weekends. Maybe it's just what you're accustomed to. Did you move from a cold climate?
It is what you are accustomed to....

What passes for "traffic" here would be the equivalent of holiday traffic on the Mass Pike, 495 or 128.

40 at its worst has nothing on Rte 24.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary