Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,054 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Philadelphia. Six inches of snow was a winter wonderland. I went to college in Boston. I *loved, loved, loved* Boston. I felt safe everywhere, the city was a great place to explore and what a place to be in as a college student.

After graduation I decided to move because I just thought it would be an easier transition. I literally shut my eyes, threw a dart and wound up in San Francisco.

I spent the next 20 years on the West Coast: SF, Seattle, Portland (and oh yeah Phoenix--I keep trying to forget those 2 years!)

We moved to Northern VA in 1994. Good job offer for my husband. He had to drag me out of Seattle kicking and screaming.

I eventually got used to VA and even to like it but in 1997, he was transferred to Boston. Big circle for me, back to Boston. New for my Oregon native husband but he liked it too.

Eleven years later? I love the town where I live. I still love Boston as a city. I love the New England architecture, and the quaint way the towns are laid out.

I hate the winter. I hate the cost of living here. I hate the loony politics. I have friends but I have friends all over the country. If it were just me, or just me and my husband, we probably would have left after 5-7 years just to try something new. But 3 kids later, we felt an obligation to provide some stability.

Yet, for the past few years, we've wanted badly to get out. I could stay for the sake of the kids but will eventually leave. He wants out NOW. The problem is our oldest is in 11th grade. I could deal with moving the other 2 (8th grade, 2nd grade) but if he gets this job, I will do everything in my power to make sure my oldest finishes high school here in MA.

We are also outdoorsy people. I run and bike. He blades. The kids LOVE being outside. My daughter had a friend over yesterday and they were both complaining there was NOTHING TO DO. If it were summer, I would have sent them outside and they would have occupied themselves for hours.

I'd move back to Seattle in a heartbeat but it's just not a reality. NC is a good second choice for us. We have both liked what we've seen and we have friends there who echo that response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,453,062 times
Hmm, nchomesomeday, NC or some place much like it sounds like a perfect choice for your family. I understand keeping the 11th grader at her school, but moving the two younger ones would not be bad, if you can afford to do it before the 8th grader starts HS.

Good luck.

We are able to be out-of-doors much of the year here, and while I am not fond of the long hot summers, I can handle them better than any of the trade-offs somewhere else.

Just curious, but I thought WA state was cold? Is Seattle different?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:44 AM

119 posts, read 368,272 times
NCHomesomeday...
How does your 8th grader feel about moving??? Also, where in Philadelphia did you grow up??

Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,054 times
RDSLOTS: My oldest is a boy, BTW! And yes, moving this summer would allow us to move the 8th grader before he starts high school. Seattle is not cold. It's climate is moderated by the Pacific Ocean and all the water surrounding the peninsula on which it sits (so Portland, OR while also a moderate climate, is actually a few degrees hotter in the summer and a few degrees colder in the winter than Seattle). It's very unusual to get snow---most winter days are gray, overcast, drizzly, even (never a downpour) with temps in the 40's. Gore-tex is your best friend but you can be outside every day. Summers are glorious once they actually start (mid July?--through October) with long, long days (still a glow in the sky at 10:30PM) and warm days/cool nights. No a/c needed.

NC from MA: My 8th grader was totally gung-ho when this issue came up last year. He's playing his cards close to his vest right now so I suspect he's somewhat more conflicted. He keeps saying he isn't thinking about it because he doesn't believe we'll ever make it happen. On the other hand, out of all my kids, he despises winter the most. He can't wait for LAX season to start and he just loves to be outside in shorts. Quite a few of the kids here veer out of the public school to attend private HS so some of his friends, while still living in the community, will not be at the public HS.

Ooops, forgot to answer the last question: Northeast Philly---near the Boulevard

Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Is it worth moving solely for a milder winter? No.
I'd have to agree with this. We movoed to NC from Upstate NY mostly for weather. If you are truly happy with were you live now, and simply don't like winter I would suggest just staying put and maybe taking a nice vacation to someplace warm (if that's in your budget) once a winter or so. There are nice things about living in the Triangle, but I wouldn't say its worth moving just for weather if you otherwise really like and are happy where you live now. It's also somewhat incorrect to say the kids spend more time outside in NC. Yes, in the winter, you get milder days where you don't have to bundle up as often. HOWEVER, unless it is to go to the pool (which gets old after a while, as well as not refreshing by mid July) your kids will NOT want to go outside much durring summer...when they are actually out of school and you'll want them out of the house a little more!

We moved back to Upstate NY this past summer, mostly because we really missed being near family and didn't like the effects that the extreme and poorly managed growth were having on the Raleigh area (especially the schools). Definitely do your homework and go down for several visits and REALLY get a feel for the area and learn as much as you can about the changes it will make to your lifestyle. More than just the weather will be different when you live in NC, some good things some bad; its just not for everybody.

I will say that this time of year, late february, march, and beginning of April, I do wish we had a little more NCish weather.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 AM

69 posts, read 255,709 times
I agree with I'minformed2. Were also looking to move bakc to NY for the same reasons.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,817,323 times
Weather was a pretty big factor in our move. It certainly wasn't the only one, but after getting here and looking back on our old circumstances we appreciated the weather here even more.

SInce moving here I have used an ice scraper on a car twice in 5 winters. I have shoveled once.

In CT we had no garage, and had to do something to the car to be able to see pretty much every day in the winter, even if it just meant warming it up for 15 minutes. I have never been late to work here because of the weather.

I value my free time, and dealing with winter weather dug into it pretty heavily. Here, there are only a couple of days a year that are too cold to do pretty much anything I would want to do outside. I see that as a huge benefit.

The milder climate keeps my utility costs more stable and predictable. It's less hard on my house, which translates to less time spent taking care of the house.

After reading what I wrote, I realize that better weather is responsible for quite a few things that are "better" for me here than they were up North.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,862 times
Quote:
If you are truly happy with were you live now, and simply don't like winter I would suggest just staying put and maybe taking a nice vacation to someplace warm (if that's in your budget) once a winter or so.
Good advice. We moved here from central IL and I was going to answer that YES YES YES its worth moving here for the milder weather. (I am such a wimp now that I'm sick of this cold weather we've been having. My family back 'home' have NO sympathy for me, especially my aunt in MN. lol)

BUT, we were looking to move from central IL anyway because we didn't like it there too much. So the weather here is just a bonus. If you're happy with everything where you're at except the weather then I don't know if you'd be happy here. We love NC, even with its quirks and faults and never want to leave. :-)

Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,453,062 times
Perhaps the Triangle area in general is becoming more conducive to working couples, regardless of age, without children and/or retirees? I think Cary is touted as one of the best places in the US to retire, isn't it? There's a big difference between being here as a retiree than as a mother with school-age children (especially with the issues facing WCPSS).

Many won't have the luxury of choosing not to go where a job is, but if I still had children to worry about in a school setting, I don't think I'd pick the Triangle, necessarily, just because of the school situation. For someone like me, at this stage of my life, the Triangle seems perfect.

Guess any place you choose to work and live is a trade-off.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'd have to agree with this. We movoed to NC from Upstate NY mostly for weather. If you are truly happy with were you live now, and simply don't like winter I would suggest just staying put and maybe taking a nice vacation to someplace warm (if that's in your budget) once a winter or so. There are nice things about living in the Triangle, but I wouldn't say its worth moving just for weather if you otherwise really like and are happy where you live now. It's also somewhat incorrect to say the kids spend more time outside in NC. Yes, in the winter, you get milder days where you don't have to bundle up as often. HOWEVER, unless it is to go to the pool (which gets old after a while, as well as not refreshing by mid July) your kids will NOT want to go outside much durring summer...when they are actually out of school and you'll want them out of the house a little more!

We moved back to Upstate NY this past summer, mostly because we really missed being near family and didn't like the effects that the extreme and poorly managed growth were having on the Raleigh area (especially the schools). Definitely do your homework and go down for several visits and REALLY get a feel for the area and learn as much as you can about the changes it will make to your lifestyle. More than just the weather will be different when you live in NC, some good things some bad; its just not for everybody.

I will say that this time of year, late february, march, and beginning of April, I do wish we had a little more NCish weather.
I've seen you state this before about less "outdoor time" in the summer, that may be your personal experience with your own kids but it hardly applies to everyone else...

We moved here from the Northeast 5 years ago, yes playing in the snow is "nice" for the kids in short bursts but my kids spend BY FAR more time outdoors down here than up North...it isn't even close.....

My two oldest are competitive soccer players, they play pretty much year round....which is possible here, not so up North....

They train all summer, go to camps during the day, go to the pool, they are outside ALL THE TIME, just as much as they would be up North

In the Winter, Late Fall and Early Spring it isn't even CLOSE with how much more time they can play outside. They are playing in Tournaments in December and February that wouldn't be possible with the snow on the ground up North.

NC is able to have middle and high school soccer in the spring for girls because of the mild winters and early spring.

I think if you did a poll of folks who have moved from the Northeast with the kids and asked " Do you and your family spend more time outdoors since moving to North Carolina?' Your experience would be very much in the minority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary