Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 AM

55 posts, read 177,778 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with the company Weather Master HVAC? We are looking at replacing our exsisting cooling unit and are having this company come out and give an estimate tomorrow.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,962 times
They put in our system in Cary (new Pulte home) and had to service it when a duct tore and we lost heat upstairs in our year old home. Overall I thought they did a good job, but we did not pay for the warranty work, so I have no idea if they are reasonably priced. Everyone I dealt with seemed very professional.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
Before you commit to anyone, call Justin Woodlief. The guy is amazing and his prices tend to beat about everyone around. He has done work for probably 25 CD members, and countless other people I have recommended him to. 796-2017.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,502 times
They were the installers of our system in our new home 7 years ago. I have a two-story home with a split system. The home called for a total of 4 tons and they decided because tehy did not have a 1.5 ton and 2.5 ton unit that they would put two 2-ton units in the house. Well the upstairs has more living space and the 2-ton unit was undersized for the amount of air needed to adequately cool it. My AC ran non-stop from the time the temp got above 85 in the Summer and my bills were astronomical. After 2 years of fighting with them on this matter they managed to get out of doing anythign because by putting the two 2-ton units in there they met code therefore unless I wanted to sue I had to eat it and put a new system in. I had Apex Heating & Air put in a new 2.5 ton unit for the upsatirs and my power bills went doen 20%. Not once did WeatherMaster consider the upstairs unit was under-sized.

My advice - RUN!!!!!! go elsewhere.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM

55 posts, read 177,778 times
Hmmmmm...
We are also having Sears come out and give an estimate.

I am starting to think that replacing the unit may be a bad idea. Last summer (our first in NC) our unit would run ALL DAY just to keep the house at 78 degrees and even at that point, it would occassionally slip up to 79. This summer...I will be 7, 8, 9 months pregnant and I really need our house temp to be below 78! Last year, Carolina Comfort came out and replenished our freon and said that the unit wasn't very efficient.

Is it normal to have the unit run 24/7 just to maintain a temperature (even one as high as 78)? I lived in FL for most of my life and I never remember having that issue and I used to keep the thermostat set to 75. Maybe this is something I will just have to get used to?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:29 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
If they topped off your freon, did they find the source of the leak? It is a closed system and the leak needs repaired. It is common for a/c to run near constantly when it is 90 plus degrees, especially older units, but to keep it only at 78 sounds like more going on than that. Like I mentioned, give Justin a call and I promise you will be happy. Forget the large companies like Sears and Weathermasters as they are masters of the upsell and you do not tend to get the best techs.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,903 times
My in-laws have had problems with Weather Master. Too numerous to list. I'd look elsewhere.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellie06 View Post
Hmmmmm...
We are also having Sears come out and give an estimate.
I predict your Sears quote will be very, very high!

(at least based on my past experience with Sears home improvement contractors)

Old 06-02-2009, 06:01 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,554 times
I've used weather master for 6 years now without issues. They recharged my original unit for four years and 2 years ago installed a new unit. I have no complaints. I did extensive research and pricing when I went with a new unit. Another company that was very competitive was Yellow Dot. My neighbors use and love them so I'd get a quote from them too. Weatermaster negotiated on price with me. Yellow Dot came in very competitive with their initial quote.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:54 AM

108 posts, read 397,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Before you commit to anyone, call Justin Woodlief. The guy is amazing and his prices tend to beat about everyone around. He has done work for probably 25 CD members, and countless other people I have recommended him to. 796-2017.
I have to totally second Justin Woodlief. My AC stopped working yesterday afternoon (hottest weekend and it decides to stop working) and finally got on this forum and found Justin's name. I gave him a call at 10:00am on a Saturday and he came out and had my AC working by 12:30. He was so incredibly nice and saved us a boat load of money replacing our motor. I highly recommend him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary