Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:55 AM

124 posts, read 219,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Your best bet is a feeder on a pole with a raccoon-proof baffle. This will keep squirrels and, even more important, raccoons (which can empty an entire feeder full of 10lbs of seed in an evening), from devastating your feeders. Just make sure the feeder is far enough from a tree or limb so that the squirrel can't jump on top of the feeder.

Beyond that, I've never seen a squirrel-proof feeder. Those which "collapse" under the squirrel's weight help reduce the carnage, but they won't stop it completely.

One option is to grease the pole - also entertaining.

My folks had a bird feeder where the perch was attached to the roof on a hinge. If a heavier bird landed on the perch it would lower the roof and cut off access to the feed. Worked pretty well on squirrels, until they started working in pairs - one on the perch and the other on the roof as counter-balance. Usually they would just brush the bird seed out and go back down to the ground to feast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 07:06 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candj View Post
We were having the same problem until we purchased a baffle from Lowes Home Improvement about two weeks ago. It is working like a dream and the squirrels are reduced to grovelling on the ground for spilt seed.
These baffles do work, one just has to make sure that baffles are on the trunks of all trees which could provide an entry point for the squirrels to the canopies of your orchards.

Have a hart traps also work with a little peanut butter or apple. It also gives the user the option to relocate or dispatch of the squirrel in a manner your heart and conscious will allow!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:03 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,382 times
eBay is loaded with quality squirrel-proof feeders.
Look for the ones with spring loaded perches and the ones with a 2-inch square steel mesh around them. Birds get in, squirrels cannot. They also have same for suet. Very effective and none are over $30.00

Wal-Mart has quality suet and seed at great prices.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,131 times
don't fight 'em, eat 'em, news segment this week on national news had great squirrel recipes.... sounded delectable and delish!!!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:21 PM

131 posts, read 144,876 times
There is nothing you can do to stop the squirrel menace. I was under siege by those bushy-tailed thieves back in FL. I thought my feeders were safe when I moved here, since they hang from a balcony now.

I thought wrong.

One day I came home, and saw one of those little monsters hanging upside down by its back feet like a bat stuffing its face with sunflower seeds.

There is virtually nothing you can do. The super expensive squirrel-proof feeders with weight sensors help, but I've seen them just swing the feeders until seed falls out. My mother set up a separate feeder for the squirrels on the opposite side of the yard to try to keep them away from the bird ones. She thinks of it like paying the mob not to destroy your business.

It has reduced the number of squirrels in the bird feeders, but only a little. And now she has to buy twice as much food!

Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Problem solved:
//www.city-data.com/forum/natur...-out-bird.html
But you have to be sure it is not right under a tree.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashj007 View Post
problem solved:
//www.city-data.com/forum/natur...-out-bird.html
but you have to be sure it is not right under a tree.
Great one!

Old 02-15-2018, 07:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Australia doesn't have any squirrels!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:41 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Australia doesn't have any squirrels!
But they do have a lot of venomous snakes and spiders. At least most squirrels won't kill you.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
But they do have a lot of venomous snakes and spiders. At least most squirrels won't kill you.
The thread is about SQUIRRELS. No one mentioned snakes and spider!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary