Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:11 AM

191 posts, read 665,947 times

Advertisements

I am interested in finding a community that would be good for me and my son and my mother. I am 46 , he is 12, my mother is 80. I want to buy a house under 175k and get something newer and larger if possible. Mainly I want a good middle school, close to parks and lakes, lots of activities for him to meet other kids, some classes or clubs for my mother who is elderly and not very active, dog parks and basically educated nice people of all types to interact with. I dont need a job so thats not an issue. I like suburban but not really remote and far from stores and diverse options for museums and entertainment. I have been looking at pictures and speaking to realtors but I still feel a bit at a loss for where to buy.

I appriciate any suggestions.

ps when does it get cooler or cold there and for how many months?

Thanks
Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
The Triangle is a big place, and there are a lot of ares that could fit the bill. The newer and larger homes are going to be in the areas with newer growth with a few exceptions. Places like Zebulon, Clayton, Wendell, Rolesville, Fuquay Varina, Northern Durham, Mebane, Burlington. It might be a good idea to grab a New Home Guide and start there. Do you know what side of the Triangle you want to be on?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:51 AM

646 posts, read 2,050,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
I am interested in finding a community that would be good for me and my son and my mother. I am 46 , he is 12, my mother is 80. I want to buy a house under 175k and get something newer and larger if possible. Mainly I want a good middle school, close to parks and lakes, lots of activities for him to meet other kids, some classes or clubs for my mother who is elderly and not very active, dog parks and basically educated nice people of all types to interact with. I dont need a job so thats not an issue. I like suburban but not really remote and far from stores and diverse options for museums and entertainment. I have been looking at pictures and speaking to realtors but I still feel a bit at a loss for where to buy.

I appriciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Debbie
You could try Wake Forest, active senior center, dog park, you can find some homes in that price ranged, schools are good, near Falls Lake, active parks and rec that has a variety of classes.

The Triangle is a large place you can find what you are looking for in many areas, you are best to figure out where you will be working and go from there. It's not like all the nice, educated people are in one town and the rest is horrid.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
The Triangle is a big place, and there are a lot of ares that could fit the bill. The newer and larger homes are going to be in the areas with newer growth with a few exceptions. Places like Zebulon, Clayton, Wendell, Rolesville, Fuquay Varina, Northern Durham, Mebane, Burlington. It might be a good idea to grab a New Home Guide and start there. Do you know what side of the Triangle you want to be on?
Burlington is hardly the Triangle area! You might as well include the entire Piedmont at that point.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:03 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
I would second North Durham and Mebane. Mebane is more affordable (lots of nice homes under $175,000 both new and old), has a cute downtown, and lots of new neighborhoods and developement popping up. Between the two towns is Efland which is more rural but very convenient to everything, including Hillsborough which is a cute historic town. Raleigh is 30 minutes away, Chapel Hill 20, and The Triad is also about 30 minutes away. In your price range I would check out the smaller towns on the edges of the Triangle, like some of those already mentioned.

Also, we're five minutes from downtown Mebane and on our way just on the outskirts of downtown there is Lake Michael Park. http://cityofmebane.com/lakemichaelpark.asp It's a small lake with fishing, trails, playground, and paddle boats. We are still doing a lot of work on the house but I am hoping to venture out there and downtown soon! Unfortunately, they don't allow dogs but I hear there will be a dog park soon. Also, I think Hillsborough's new Gold Park includes a dog park. There is also a lake around Mebane and Graham called the Graham Mebane Lake, which I also haven't had a chance to check out. http://www.grahamrecreationandparks....4/Default.aspx

A few examples of homes on the market under $175,000:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2747-Lynndale-Dr_Mebane_NC_27302_1109822523 (broken link)
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2635-Jamie-Baker-Drive_Mebane_NC_27302_1107836444 (broken link)
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2454-Farrell-Road_Mebane_NC_27302_1106294607 (broken link)
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1146-Briarwood-Drive_Mebane_NC_27302_1108843358 (broken link)
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/739-S-Fifth-Street_Mebane_NC_27302_1106333622 (broken link) (This one you can walk to downtown)

Good Luck!

Last edited by DanielleNC; 06-07-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 12:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
Average Weather for Raleigh, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
I want to buy a house under 175k and get something newer and larger if possible. Mainly I want a good middle school, close to parks and lakes, lots of activities for him to meet other kids, some classes or clubs for my mother who is elderly and not very active, dog parks and basically educated nice people of all types to interact with.
That's asking a lot for $175K, and I think you'll have to compromise at least parts of your "want list", but you should be able to satisfy most of the bullet points. This is a big area with almost every kind of "living situation", though of course the areas with better schools and closer to recreational activities will be the more expensive, and $175K is kind of low for this area, especially if you insist on "newer and larger".

Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Burlington is hardly the Triangle area! You might as well include the entire Piedmont at that point.
The Triangle consists of Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill. Burlington is minutes from Chapel Hill, and still within 40 minutes of the airport

Old 06-07-2009, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 31,578 times
I heard Wake Forest has really good school system. I live about 60 miles from Raleigh area and was doing research as well for good family life but close to enrichment for adults. I'd love to talk to someone who actually lives in Wake Forest and really likes it there.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicazim View Post
I heard Wake Forest has really good school system. I live about 60 miles from Raleigh area and was doing research as well for good family life but close to enrichment for adults. I'd love to talk to someone who actually lives in Wake Forest and really likes it there.
There are several of us that live in Wake Forest that enjoy it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary