Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:25 PM

234 posts, read 822,516 times

Advertisements

What no breaded steak on the menu?

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 03:54 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
The service was slow, the kitchen slower, but the food great.
that's authentic mañana culture, dude...

Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
Default Nice Addition to Local Scene

Place was mobbed when I went Saturday. It definately is a must see, if you can get in.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,216 times
I ate here on a Wednesday night with my sister. The hostess was very friendly but we were seated next to the door and it was freezing cold. Our waiter was quite timid although friendly. We ordered the fried green beans, a beef empanada and two cubano sandwiches. Disappointingly they only have Dos Equis on draft and no other Latin American beers as I would have expected. The empanada was dry and tasteless and came with no sauce. The green beans were tasty but on the cold side. All of our food came out together instead of the appetizers first. The cubano sandwiches were awful, terrible, disgusting, and inedible. They were cold, the cheese and meat were very cold, there was way too much mustard, just dripping off of the sandwich and there was a teeny tiny peice of pulled pork on one side of mine and none on my sisters (It is supposed to be a pork sandwich after all). So we waited for the waiter to come over for a while, he was avoiding us because I believe he knew our food wasn't right. When he finally came over we sent the sandwhiches back to be regrilled. They came back and the bread was warm but still no melted cheese and the meats were cold. Again our waiter wandered around and avoided us but finally came over. We told him that they were just awful and we couldn't eat them. So he went to talk to the manager, returned and informed us that the decision that was made was that 10% of our bill would be taken off. I then asked to see the manager myself. After 10 minutes a girl walked up to our table and asked if we were doing ok. She did not introduce herself or identify herself as the manager. I explained that our sandwicheswere unacceptable and we didn't want to pay for 90% of food that was terrible. So she picked up our plates, said fine and walked away. At no time were we rude, did we raise our voices or act inpolite. Our waiter came over and told us that the reason our food was bad was because they were really busy and the kitchen staff was new, but if we ever werein Rhode Island we should go to the location there because the food there was definitely good. Ok so on a Wednesday night they can't handle the dinner crowd, what happens on Friday or Saturday? SO we left and the manager was standing at the door but did not acknowledge us at all.

So no apology, no offer of something else to eat, no offer of dessert or even some sort of reparations were made. Needless to say we will never, ever be going back and I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times
It was a bit hard to read the above post, but I think I got the gist of it.

My wife and I ate there for lunch once and weren't very impressed. Our Cuban sandwiches had one slice of ham and a few sprinkles of roasted pork but were overloaded with pickles and mustard. We could barely taste the meat due to the condiments. The person sitting next to me made a remark about how "authentic" it was, when his wife looked surprised he said, "it's very authentic, they even ration the meat!"

I have eaten at one of the restaurants in Downtown Providence and found it to be the same. I was there about 4 months after eating at the one in Durham and figured I'd see if the one here was just off the mark. It seems to be that it's company policy.

We only had the sandwiches, so I cannot speak of the rest of the food. It would seem that they are overpriced and underwhelming, not a good mix for a restaurant. I doubt they'll survive much longer when there are so many better options near them.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:59 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
After eating there, I'm not sure if its a Cuban restaurant so much as its a Cuban-themed American restaurant with Cuban-esque food. Its food is about as authentic as Disney World's countries imo, but maybe I just had a poor experience.

Is that Cuban restaurant next to McDonalds in Chapel Hill still around? That place had great authentic Cuban food. There's also Boleros Cuban in CH... I've heard its okay, but authentic Cuban food with a wider LA theme. Also, Carmen's in Morrisville - is that pace still around?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 AM

754 posts, read 1,692,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
After eating there, I'm not sure if its a Cuban restaurant so much as its a Cuban-themed American restaurant with Cuban-esque food. Its food is about as authentic as Disney World's countries imo, but maybe I just had a poor experience.
We've eaten there twice and that is my impression as well. We only eat there as a convenience if we're going to an event.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
My wife is Cuban so we'll have to go and see just how authentic this place really is.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I ate there for dinner last week and was disappointed and unimpressed. Basically overpriced bar food and not very good (cuban) bar food at that. Very 'meh' on that place; the person who selected that particular restaurant is not a foodie type at all, so I should have suspected it might not be great. And it wasn't. If I were to ever eat there again (which I don't think I will) I would just order a regular burger and be done with it.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I ate there for dinner last week and was disappointed and unimpressed. Basically overpriced bar food and not very good (cuban) bar food at that. Very 'meh' on that place; the person who selected that particular restaurant is not a foodie type at all, so I should have suspected it might not be great. And it wasn't. If I were to ever eat there again (which I don't think I will) I would just order a regular burger and be done with it.
Saves me a bunch of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary