Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:07 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
All I can say is EWWW. .. I'll never put a toe in that lake.
Sadly, our household water comes from that lake!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:28 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
I'll probably still swim there because it takes a lot to scare me off (plus, I just make sure I don't drink the water when I'm in the lake or open my eyes, etc), but I will admit that the two times I've been, when I get in the shower after... I STINK. Poo + steam = odor. I guess it's from the poo (which I definitely think is from birds, not diapers). It's slightly nauseating.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:04 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
All I can say is that the last time I went to Falls Lake (about 3 years ago), I just about puked at watching all the little kids running around in the water wearing diapers and even totally naked (clearly young, unpotty trained children and babies).
It was really, really gross and I have never stepped foot in there again. It's like swimming in raw sewage. The fact the bacteria levels are high only on the popular beaches makes me believe it's from humans, not birds!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:52 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
We are boaters, and go to falls lake (although we have only been once this year), and I will say, there are always A LOT of people on the public access beaches who have their kids in the water in regular diapers, or no diapers at all. I found it interesting when they brought up the bird issue only because it seemed like it would be in different parts of the lake, not just where there is a public access for swimming (other areas you can only get to by boat).

Needless to say, it makes me think about heading to different lakes when we put the boat in the water!

Leigh

Old 07-11-2009, 05:27 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
Now that I think about it, I do remember being surprised that the website said children 5 and under were exempt from wearing bathing suits. I haven't seen any naked kids or kids in just diapers, but I'm sure there were plenty of kids with diapers under their swimsuits when I was there. It's too bad since you pay to get in that there isn't more regulation of that kind of thing, if that really is the problem. It's got to be affecting their income when entire beaches are closed for a day, so if it's diapers, it's silly that they aren't enforcing rules about it.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:32 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
All I can say is that the last time I went to Falls Lake (about 3 years ago), I just about puked at watching all the little kids running around in the water wearing diapers and even totally naked (clearly young, unpotty trained children and babies).
It was really, really gross and I have never stepped foot in there again. It's like swimming in raw sewage. The fact the bacteria levels are high only on the popular beaches makes me believe it's from humans, not birds!
What can be done to clean up this area? Lake patrol? Don't these people know any better... I'm so grossed out right now.....

Old 07-11-2009, 07:19 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
The lake has huge amounts of runoff from all areas that have septic tanks and just plane old stuff washed off the streets. the diapers?? Heck they take their kids in public pools!!! Bottom line the lake and Jordan lake are areas that have high concentrations of polutants. Heck there is plenty of oil and gasoline from the boats that use the lake. Oh fly over the lake after heavy rains!! Its a scary looking brown mess.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
There is runoff of different kinds getting into the lake. However, previous posters are correct that when it comes to high bacteria count at the local public beaches on the lake the main cause of this is klids in poopy diapers. The ohter types of pollution cause other problems (high nutrient levels / turbidity).

A lake does not have the chlorine added that a pool does to kill the bacteria.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:27 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
There is runoff of different kinds getting into the lake. However, previous posters are correct that when it comes to high bacteria count at the local public beaches on the lake the main cause of this is klids in poopy diapers. The ohter types of pollution cause other problems (high nutrient levels / turbidity).

A lake does not have the chlorine added that a pool does to kill the bacteria.

Pretty funky no?? Humans, the world might be better off without em.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
I was fishing on Falls Lake last evening and one of the bays I was fishing in had a long wide oil slick. That was terrible! Every time I think of so many of us that drink that water and to see that slick on the surface.....there is just so many boats on that lake and all that goes with it. I for one do not believe there is enough geese to cause the problem......the warm blooded culprits are people! IMHO.

BTW: Only boated 2 Bass....fishing was slow but what a great sun down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary