Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,521 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a UNC student, and my husband and I are moving to Chapel Hill area this August. We have narrowed down our search to the Pointe at Chapel Hill and Providence Glen.

We have also looked at a couple of properties in the Meadows in Durham, as well as a house on Silhouette Dr in Hope Valley Farms.

Will the commute to UNC kill me, though, or is it pretty easy to get to campus from that part of Durham? My husband's job is actually on Capital Blvd in Raleigh, so at least one of us will have to deal with a rather long commute... That's actually why we've looked into Durham properties. Any suggestions?

Any advice about these communities, neighborhoods is highly appreciated. We need to make a decision soon. I'd love to know what the locals think of these.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:13 AM

234 posts, read 823,055 times
Where on Capital will be his job? I would suggest maybe looking in the Brier Creek area. That will put you pretty much in the middle. The drive to UNC and to Capital should not be too bad.

John

Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 AM

He'll be at Leith Mercedes

Old 07-19-2009, 08:13 AM

234 posts, read 823,055 times
Yeah, I would definately look into Brier Creek. He can go up 540 to Capital for his work and you can go 540 to 40 and get of at 54. Right off 54 there is the Friday Center park and ride lot. It is a UNC CAP parking lot and it is free. It is then a short bus ride to the school from there.

John

Old 07-19-2009, 10:09 AM

757 posts, read 2,084,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehta13 View Post
Hi, I am a UNC student, and my husband and I are moving to Chapel Hill area this August. We have narrowed down our search to the Pointe at Chapel Hill and Providence Glen.

We have also looked at a couple of properties in the Meadows in Durham, as well as a house on Silhouette Dr in Hope Valley Farms.

Will the commute to UNC kill me, though, or is it pretty easy to get to campus from that part of Durham? My husband's job is actually on Capital Blvd in Raleigh, so at least one of us will have to deal with a rather long commute... That's actually why we've looked into Durham properties. Any suggestions?

Any advice about these communities, neighborhoods is highly appreciated. We need to make a decision soon. I'd love to know what the locals think of these.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
All I have to say is that if you are going to be a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where will you park? They don't give students parking unless you are actually working at the university in some capacity. If you are not working there, then you have to park and ride. Now, this is my advice. Only rent where you are walking distance to the bus line. How else will you get to class. There are park and ride lots that you can find and take the bus, but some of them are not offering buses when you may need them. The only bus line that rus on a regular schedule is the Chapel Hill bus line, some of the park and rides are touch and go...meaning some may not cater to a park and ride after 12:00 noon and so forth. Make sure to call the transit system to find out your options before you move. You are not going to be able to drive to campus. Do check out the free Hwy 54 lot. This may work for you. They pick up from this location every 10 minutes during the day. It's right across from meadowmont in Chapel Hill/Durham. It would be really close to Hope Valley Farms. If you live in Finley Forest condos (there are for sales and rents) you could walk to this lot. DM me if you need any more info. I went to school at Chapel Hill and commute there weekly.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:24 PM

Thank you!
I believe both Providence Glen and The Pointe at Chapel Hill have bus stops right at the apartment complexes. Bus routes CL and D for Providence Glen. And T for the Pointe. I think if I live more than 2 miles from campus, I qualify for CAP program, which gives me access to the 9 Park-and-Ride lots (for non-participants, only 5 are available per UNC Department of Public Safety website). As long as the CL, D, and T buses (serving these two communities) run "all day," my commute should be OK.
Would it be any easier to drive to one of the 9 Park-and-Ride lots and take one of the buses to campus from there, since I'll have more buses available to choose from there? From Pointe, for example, I could drive to MLK Jr Blvd CAP lot. In addition to the one bus T that stops right at the Pointe, I could also take buses G, HS, NS, NU and TG. Would that make sense?

Would you suggest that we pick a location that makes it easy for me to get to school? Even if my husband had a longer commute, at least he would not be at the mercy of the bus service.

Of the two neighborhoods, based on location and reputation, which would you recommend?

Thanks so much!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:21 PM

757 posts, read 2,084,110 times
I've seen Providence Glen before, but not the Pointe. Providence Glen is closer to the Durham side of Chapel Hill, almost the border. The commute wouldn't be bad for you. It had a pool and tennis courts, and seemed nice inside. Honestly, for the money...the inside is just okay. I guess what I'm trying to say that you are paying a lot for just okay amenities. The reason why these particular condos are very desirable for BUYERS...is that it is in the Chapel Hill School district and there are very few properties under or at $200,000 range in this school district (Chapel Hill is almost built out). I would say it's very desirable to buy in providence...I'm not sure it's worth what you would pay to rent. If your husband works on capital, you are right it will be a long commute. I recommend looking at Southpoint Village Apartments. This would be an exact 10 minute commute from there to the nearest park and ride (The 54 lot). Living there would also cut your husband's commute time by 15 minutes. Southpoint Village apartments look awesome! You would be getting more amenities and probably be paying the same as Providence Glen. It's in the Southpoint Mall area in Durham and is really close to the interstate and right near Southpoint Mall. It's a really desirable area. There are other apartment complexes in that area. It would really cut your husband's commute time because it bypasses all of the Chapel Hill traffic which is really heavy during commute times. You will get more for your money renting in the southpointe area of Durham rather than Chapel Hill and have a short commute to the park and ride. Google Southpoint Village Apartments...they look awesome in person as well! You would have a 10 minute commute to the park and ride and he would have a 20 to 25 minute commute (that beats a 40 minute commute!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary