Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM

132 posts, read 661,055 times

Advertisements

Hello. Possible relo to Raleigh area sooner than I wish and need some info. I visited the area twice last week, and have a few questions. Looking for the area that best fits my family's needs.-
-within 15-30 minutes of 6 forks/wake forest rds
-good schools 6/11 yr old children
-family oriented neighborhood/plenty of kids
-1000-1500 rent or 200000 +/- homes(will probally rent first)

-coming from Virginia Beach, any VB transplants have any input?

I really liked Cary-opinions?

We found new homes in the country addressed as Garner but I thought it was F-V. Opinions of the new developements/schools out there? I know that usually in a mainly rural area the schools can be less than desirable.

Sorry for the same questions most people ask, but coudnt seem to find all the answers in one thread.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:21 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times
Hi sorry! Good questions. However can you be more specific. Six Forks and Wake Forest Roads are pretty long so it would help if you can define about where along Six forks and Wake forest are you interested in. 15 - 30 minutes can be 5 miles away or 20 miles away from the roads you mentioned. During Rush hours (AM/PM) traffic moves pretty slow so that will add to you commute.

Schools. Good. That is really a very subjective matter. I can give you five or six area school names and 25 people will respond back how poor they are. The best advise I have for you regarding schools is review the schools web page, talk to the principle, and talk to parents of kids that go there. Also, once you have a school in mind ask the readers of City-Data as they will not be shy to say they are in favor or or against the school you ask about. Its all relative.

Renting first is a good idea IMHO. It allows you and your family to get use to the new place you will call home and allow you to see the area at different times of the day and night. It also allows the kids to get use to the school system and gives you an out of you are not happy with the school as you can relocate away from it. If you buy a house right off the bat you are committed to the school like it or not. Or would need to Home School or Private school options.

Also, all neighborhood here are Family Oriented unless you were to chose a 55+ neighborhood but I suppose you would not do that! So finding a family oriented neighborhood should be your easiest selection.

Again depending where on Six forks or Wake Forest Roads you may want to check out Wake Forest area.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM

132 posts, read 661,055 times
I am referring to the intersection of Six Forks and Wake Forest. Thanks

Old 07-22-2009, 04:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the4pits View Post
I am referring to the intersection of Six Forks and Wake Forest. Thanks
That's what I thought you meant.
The good news for you is that your work location is pretty central in Raleigh. So, this gives you lots of options on choosing where to live. The more immediate areas will probably be out of your price range for purchasing but you could probably find a good rental situation in your budget nearby.
I don't have children, so I can't speak for schools.
I agree with the others that renting first is probably a good idea to get a feel for parts of town and your commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary