Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM

11 posts, read 65,732 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm new to these forums and was hoping for some help. I'm currently going to be a sophomore at East Carolina. My freshman year there was a lot of fun and I really did enjoy the school. I also made a lot of great friends. However, I'm thinking of transferring to NC State University. I just feel NC State is a more respected university, and the athletic events would be much more fun (football, basketball games, etc.). It's not that I don't love ECU, just I feel State has a better reputation etc.

My question is, if you were in my position, you're at a school you really do enjoy, would you transfer to another because the school has a better reputation then the one you currently attend? I've made some great friends at ECU and I would be a junior at NC State, not knowing a sole.

I'm just looking for some advice. Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
What is your major? How are your grades? I have worked with people from both Universities. I work in the biological science field and the reputation of grads from both schools is equal in my career world. As far as undergrad goes it doesn't make a whole lot of difference where you go unless you are looking for very specific career goals. If you apply yourself, do well, and make the most of the college experience you will stand out to future employers.

Honestly, unless their is a very compelling reason I would not transfer if it were me.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:06 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
I would stay at ECU given the reasons you've provided. If you answer some of NRG's questions thought my answer may change. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
From what you've told us, I'd stay at ECU as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:46 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
I was in a similar situation as you when I was in college. I chose to transfer from AppState to NC State. Career wise, it was the best decision I ever could've made. I do sometimes question if I would've followed a more personally rewarding career and life path, if less 'monetary', had I stayed at ASU. Thankfully the schools were close enough that I was able to visit App periodically and my App friends visited me at State. One of the main reasons I wanted to transfer was the national recognition of NCSU vs. ASU. I wanted to, and did, live in other regions of the country and felt a "name" university would carry more weight in other parts of the country than a regional school. If you're just looking to stay in the southeast, ECU is probably fine, though. Also, if you're planning on attending grad school, you could always just do as well as you can at ECU and aim for a school with a better academic reputation for graduate studies.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 PM

27 posts, read 75,437 times
Stay at ECU! I can say from experience that being at ECU was the best time of my life. I currently attend NCSU and wish I was at ECU everyday! The athletics are by far better than NCSU... ECU might not win everything, but all the fans have heart at ECU. My hubby and I go to every home fball game that we can and love how every fan is your friend, no matter where you are. We went to the bowl game in Memphis this year and had the time of our lives, though it was just he and I that went. Stay there! You will regret it. If I could go back, I would. And Im trying

Old 07-27-2009, 09:03 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I think you should make your decision first based on your program and second on how much fun you are having now and how much fun you anticipate having in the future.
Is there a compelling academic reason to transfer?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 PM

11 posts, read 65,732 times
Thanks for the responses and help guys. I'm not even sure what I want to major in. I do know I want to move out of NC after graduating college though. I'm going to think about it more, and see how this year goes. I may even apply to State and think more seriously about the decision based on if I'm even accepted or not. Again, thanks for your responses, they did help me greatly.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:48 AM

232 posts, read 1,031,107 times
Transfer to NC State. You will get better opportunities in the long run, better programs, better career guidance, better starting salary, etc.

I do recruiting for college hires for my organization in my company and with the economic downturn a lot of companies (including ours) have reduced the number of schools from which they do active recruiting. NC State is among the top schools to recruit engineering & science graduates. ECU is NOT. You make the decision!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:53 AM

116 posts, read 366,884 times
I would transfer to the school that offers the best program in your major.

You are going to school to get an education, not to have a good time (but you shouldn't forget having a good time...)

Most large (national / international) corporations mainly hire "new grads" from a select set of schools. It would be very difficult to get a job at those companies (on graduation) if you do not go to one of those schools.

What school you go to really matters in the first 5 years of employment and grad school. After that, it really does not matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary