Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 AM

578 posts, read 3,080,753 times

Advertisements

Up here in Falls River here's my favorite source for pizza. Super delicious in every possible way. In particular, they have awesome meats. And the pescatore (seafood) pizza is great if you're in the mood for something different. I've never eaten a plain cheese from there, but they have a $9.99 special going on them right now. Downside is they don't deliver.

San Carlo Italian Bistro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 AM

239 posts, read 413,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamangirl View Post
Have pretty much discovered that anything with Papa in the name is not for me.
LOL! That is so funny.

Many Italians call their fathers "Pa-Pa" and mothers "Ma-Ma"

Papa Johns pizza...whew...not for me.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:19 AM

168 posts, read 267,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanFactors View Post
I am from Long Island and in this area my favorites are Mamma Mia's in Apex off Laura Duncan Rd. They are from NJ. I prefer the classic italian with just cheese.

Randy's in Durham (haven't tried the RTP store) is also good but a bit greasy.
There is also a Mama Mia's in the plaza at the corner of S. Miami and TW Alexander...2945 S. Miami (plaza behind Sheetz). Is the one Apex owned by the same family? We ate at the Miami Blvd location last night for the first time and it was very good. DH is from LI and I lived there for a couple of years right after we got married. I'm originally from WNY but I am converted to NY-style pizza. Love the thin, crispy crust.

We both had hot chicken sandwiches. DH had plain filet with mayo and lettuce and I had Parmigiana, both on bread baked fresh daily in the restaurant. We also split a slice of cheese just to test it out and it was VERY good. Thin, crisp crust, just the right amount of sauce which was just the right consistency and not too sweet, not too pastey...a very nice light marinara...with just the right amount of cheese and the cheese actually had flavor.

We spoke with the owners and they are the real deal. They had several pizza shops in NYC, a couple in lower Manhattan and a couple in Brooklyn. When asked how they ended up in the Triangle...typical story, they followed their children!!

This is not a "fancy" place...that's not what to look for when looking for good pizza. It's counter-service, but very friendly counter-service. We'll be going back very soon for more pizza and to try their pasta dishes too.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 PM

16 posts, read 62,369 times
Pomodoro's or Martinho's in Mebane is great.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:12 PM

51 posts, read 412,772 times
I second Dominics in Poyner Place behind Triangle Town Center. Excellent Pizza. Lived in NJ outside NY for 25 years, very similar to this style.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM

271 posts, read 700,543 times
Original NY Pizza is the Best

Old 08-15-2009, 03:03 PM

66 posts, read 143,482 times
Chapel Hill has some great pizza places. Franklin Street Pizza and Pasta is good (and was started by someone from Long Island - I worked there in college). I do like Peppers Pizza better though - nice nice crispy crust - my #1 choice for you - right on Franklin Street.

There is also a pizza place called Randys in Durham that is pretty good. There are 2 of them -- one on Hope Valley Road and then another off of Martin Luther King Jr. in the Harris Teeter shopping center.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
I miss the square pizza that is common in Michigan (or many other places that I don't Know about) small and independant pizzarias that make square (not chicago stuffed) crunchy and greasy pizza with the cheeze right to the edge. I love New York Stlyle Pizza but I get tired of it. I want pizza like Buddy's (for the people familiar with Detroit) or Jet's which I think is in a few midwestern states

Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 PM

335 posts, read 800,570 times
We just had pizza from Randy's on Hope Valley Road and it was excellent.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 PM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseschulman View Post
I second Dominics in Poyner Place behind Triangle Town Center. Excellent Pizza. Lived in NJ outside NY for 25 years, very similar to this style.
We went to Dominics last weekend and it was awful. The people that worked there were unfriendly and rude and the food was very substandard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary