Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleprompter in Chief View Post
I often hear people complaining about how boring the Triangle is or how it isn't like where they came from. I have to wonder why people don't do research first. I wonder why someone moves somewhere that is different than where they came from and then wonder why it is different than where they came from. But I am also wondering exactly what they think is lacking, so...........

What do you find boring about the Triangle?
I can only speak for myself, but most cities have enough to keep one entertained. Whatever you version of entertainment maybe. That includes Raleigh, Durham.

However, what makes or breaks a city for me are the people. You won't know what the people are like until you live there for a while.

Quote:
What did you expect here and what was the reality once you moved here?
Fortunately, not much. Raleigh, Durham was what I thought that it was. I only came there b/c I was offered a job. Its a stepping stone for me.

The reality for me is that this area is 'ok' but for ME it doesn't offer the total package that I've experienced in other cities. But that is ok. I kind of knew it coming in, not to the extent that I know now by living here for 2.5 years but the job was and is first and foremost.

Quote:
What is it you expect from a sprawling suburban style city, surrounded by suburbs?
Well, most cities in America are sprawling suburban style cities. That doesn't mean that such a city can't be fun or lively. As I said above, I didn't expect much when I came here.

Quote:
Do you really think Raleigh is supposed to change to be more like a big city or do you think it should be preserved the way it is and people should adapt to how it is?
For the most part its the people that make a city. I didn't expect Raleigh, Durham to change to fit me or my personality. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
It's getting better, but it can be a pretty bland time of things unless you drink or sit at the pool all weekend.
i like to do both at the same time...

but to answer charletondude's question, this area can be a little boring because it is a suburban sprawl style place. i moved here considering this, but also considered that it's getting better. and i'm finding myself things to keep me entertained. not having a bunch of friends or a bunch of money because of the recent relocation makes it a little more boring, too, but that will pass.

i like to go to restaurants, bars, shop, wander around, explore new places. and i feel like that's pretty well covered.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
I think many who move here do so for things like cheaper cost of living (or the perception thereof), better weather, better family atmosphere/schools, promise of jobs, etc.. Many probably dont consider things to do as one of their top priorities (at least that wasn't a biggie for us). We selected Clayton because we didn't want to live in a "city". I will say that if you look hard enough, there is plenty to do here with all the various festivals, fairs, farmers markets, etc. We find there is probably more different things weekly here then we ever had to do on Long Island (perhaps not as late in the evenings for some things, but not enough for us to see it as a negative). We didnt expect or want it to be like where we came from. We embrace the local traditions and things to do that we didnt have back in NY(such as the festivals, fairs and farmers markets). We love it here for exactly what is here.
We love doing those type of things. How do you find out about them?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:36 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i like to do both at the same time...

but to answer charletondude's question,
lol - outted (is anyone surprised)

First let me say I'm OK with what there is to do around here generally, but joe that was not exactly a ringing endorsement for Cary. According to that, there's nothing but "artsy fartsy" events, some free reggae concert, and a soccer game. But don't get me wrong, Cary itself really is just one big suburb, so people shouldn't really expect much more.....

"Boring" depends on what you find interesting. This isn't exactly NYC to say the least, but as stated, if you expected anything along those lines going in, "you asked for it"

Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 AM

After looking at some of the town websites, they do a good job of posting events. This one caught my eye and I just wanted to post it:
Downtown Clayton NC: The 2009 Town Square Concert Series Line-up

Old 08-02-2009, 09:30 AM

1,967 posts, read 953,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
lol - outted (is anyone surprised)

but joe that was not exactly a ringing endorsement for Cary. According to that, there's nothing but "artsy fartsy" events, some free reggae concert, and a soccer game. But don't get me wrong, Cary itself really is just one big suburb, so people shouldn't really expect much more.....
That's true for this week, some other weeks there are other family type things to do here. But in general to say there is nothing to do is a quite misguided. A quick search of almost any towns website, much like beckycat demonstrated, will show any one who is interested in moving here that there are plenty activities to do.

BOT, I really did not expect as much to do here when I move to Cary almost 11 years ago. I am just thankful that the towns do sponsor events and try and get sports teams to come here no matter how low on the scale they are.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,956 times
I also don't get what people find boring about the Triangle. Free museums, free concerts, festivals, the flea market, MANY places to explore including but not limited to Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carborro, Wake Forest, lots of decent shopping malls, outlets, tons of restaurants to try, scenic drives... I could go on! I think if people are bored, it's because they aren't putting out the effort to find out what's going on.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:15 PM

29 posts, read 67,082 times
Well I for one hope Raleigh's not too boring. I'm moving there because of my DF's job, same reason I moved here (I'm currently in FLwith a monsoon going on outside). But, I think no matter where you go in this country you can find things to do or be bored, sometimes both in the same place. I've sat in a hotel room in Chicago on Black Friday with nothing to do, that doesn't mean Chicago is a boring. I must admit I was surprized to hear that y'all don't have a zoo.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche 3.0 View Post
Well I for one hope Raleigh's not too boring. I'm moving there because of my DF's job, same reason I moved here (I'm currently in FLwith a monsoon going on outside). But, I think no matter where you go in this country you can find things to do or be bored, sometimes both in the same place. I've sat in a hotel room in Chicago on Black Friday with nothing to do, that doesn't mean Chicago is a boring. I must admit I was surprized to hear that y'all don't have a zoo.
There's one in Asheboro, not too far away. NC Zooâ„¢ - North Carolina Zoo : Zoo Homepage

Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 PM

186 posts, read 659,507 times
We left a huge city because we felt we were paying a premium for real estate and not taking advantage of most of what the city had to offer. I've been home for the kids for several weeks and I will say I feel like I've done just about everything you can do with a two-year-old here. It'd be nice to have a "new" outing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary